Info on a 1.6 Cavalier Mk 3

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

jim

Info on a 1.6 Cavalier Mk 3

Post by jim »

hi,
I’m really new to all these forums and have never used anything like this before, I have been prompted to contact you because sadly my father passed away a couple of days ago and has left me his F reg Cavalier Mk 3 1.6L and I would really like to find a good home for it because it was his absolute pride and joy. He bought it brand new and to my knowledge it never saw a rainy day. Skimming through the club rules it appears I can’t actually advertise it for sale without having 50 posts, I guess this means 50 messages. I’m really not trying to infringe the rules but I have absolutely no idea what its worth. I’ve searched around on e-bay but they appear to be pretty rare these days. I do guess it’s not worth a lot and thought enthusiasts would be a good place to start. My mum would really prefer its space than its company, so if anybody could give me any feedback I would be grateful.
Hope this doesn’t infringe any rules
JIM
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Info on a 1.6 Cavalier Mk 3

Post by Envoy CDX »

If it's been left to you, I'd certainly drive it about for a bit, then decide if you want to sell.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Firstly, sympathies for your loss, not an easy period for you and your loved ones.

If the car has received as much care and respect as you describe, then as Gary says, you should seriously consider keeping it for yourself.

Although again, I can understand there is some emotional turmoil in doing so.

If you decide after a while that it just is not your thing or you cannot face driving it, then you could consider selling the car.

However, to stay within rules, it shouldn't take long to build up the requisite number of posts (only 50)...
Just join in with the banter, and feel free to ask questions... you'll soon get there.

I'm upto nearly 1000, and I have only been an active member for about 10 months. (wife permitting :) )

Welcome to the site, and I hope that we can be a source of knowledge and assistance.
branny361

Post by branny361 »

welcome to the site jim ...sorry to hear about your sad loss , as for the cav , a 1.6 isnt the most desirable model but the condition/milage and being 1 owner etc will help the price , its all about luck, if/when you decide to sell , you might get offered 100 one day and maybe 500 the next , its what someone is prepared to pay on the day .

Enjoy it for now, treasure the memories , and , whatever you decide to do ,good luck :thumb
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
Squig

Post by Squig »

As with the other guys, I'm also sorry to hear about the conditions that surround this post. However please do fire up 50 messages, have a little look through our WIP section and showroom and comment on those vehicle you feel deserve it. 50 posts can be fired out in only a few hours.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

welcome to cavmk3oc, a shame our acquaintance is under such sad circumstances. that said, enjoy your stay here, and have fun skipping around the forum :)
jim

Post by jim »

thanks for all the kind words guys, i went round to my dads place with my son and fired up the old cavalier it pretty much went first time, just had to let it turn over for a bit. but it actually ran pretty smoothly. we were quite suprised as it must have been stading there for about 6 months so we both spent the afternoon giving it a good clean, and she didnt scrub up too bad at all. i must admit im quite tempted too keep it as i once owned a b-reg astra which so far as the engine is concerned looked exactly the same and i remember how easy it was to work on that car i my self drive a H-reg golf, which is sort of the same vintage and so far has stood me in good stead and is still going strong, so im a bit reluctant to part with that as well... bit of a dilema really btw what is the WIP section, Jim
branny361

Post by branny361 »

WIP work in progress .... is where you can post up a record of the work you have done on your car , eg. show pics, give write ups, it also helps you along as you dont feel on your own when doing jobs, the crowd on here will post there remarks, comments and help as you go ... its all good fun .

lets see the golf then?
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Nice to hear it brought a smile to your face :)
They 1.6 Cav's are under rated in my opinion. Let's see some pictures of the car :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

£500 to £700. Used car prices went up because of the scrappage scam.

If you do decide to sell it make sure you take loads of clear photo's, have all the old mot's, and every bill in a folder and polish it to within an inch of it's life.

Advertise here, Vxon, Migweb, classiccars for sale, retro, piston heads (both in the cavalier and sheds and shopping car section), anywhere that's free, but I prefer autotrader for a quick sale.

If it's that good and you are prepared to wait, why not go to the VBOA at billing next year as a member of a club and put it on show and put a sneaky for sale sign in the corner of the window.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Is this yours ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-VAUXHALL-CAV ... 3a5ebbe88f
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

iangsi wrote:Is this yours ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-VAUXHALL-CAV ... 3a5ebbe88f

If it is then I'm really pissed off now.

I tell him the truth about what it's worth, £500 to £700, and he puts it on ebay, gets a figure somewhere between my estimate, and the top bidder hasn't won it because he's been too Greedy with his Reserve price. WHEN I SAID £500 as a bottom figure that should have been your reserve.