Newbie to the site and poss new owner of a 4x4 GSI

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Barney

Newbie to the site and poss new owner of a 4x4 GSI

Post by Barney »

Hi all,

My names Barney hence the user name and I'm looking into buying my FIRST Vauxhall and that's one of the reasons I've joined the site.

I've found a J plate car I'm interested in that needs some TLC for a decent price but the trouble s I'm normally a BMW or a Ford man in fact I'm trying to sell my S1 turbo to fund the purchase etc..

Now I have no real knowledge of Vauxhall's at all and the only thing I know is that Cav's like to rust on the rear arches.

Can someone please help me out with a buyers guide or point me in the direction of a buyers guide.

The car I'm interested in has a oil leak from the engine and a leak from the rear diff plus a few rust patches.

Thanks for looking and I hope one of you can help me out.

I don't even know what website/companies to view in relation to finding parts etc so any help would be fantastic..

Thanks

Barney
bigmitch

Re: Newbie to the site and poss new owner of a 4x4 GSI

Post by bigmitch »

Barney wrote:Hi all,

My names Barney hence the user name and I'm looking into buying my FIRST Vauxhall and that's one of the reasons I've joined the site.

I've found a J plate car I'm interested in that needs some TLC for a decent price but the trouble s I'm normally a BMW or a Ford man in fact I'm trying to sell my S1 turbo to fund the purchase etc..

Now I have no real knowledge of Vauxhall's at all and the only thing I know is that Cav's like to rust on the rear arches.

Can someone please help me out with a buyers guide or point me in the direction of a buyers guide.

The car I'm interested in has a oil leak from the engine and a leak from the rear diff plus a few rust patches.

Thanks for looking and I hope one of you can help me out.

I don't even know what website/companies to view in relation to finding parts etc so any help would be fantastic..

Thanks

Barney
Hi barney the lads on here will give good advice me inclued ,due fact it is my cav gsi you are wanting .
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Hello & Welcome :wave

take a look at the link viewforum.php?f=54
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

hi and welcome :)

nice to see another 4x4 gsi owner (if you get it)
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Hi Barney and welcome to the website.

Areas on all Cavaliers to look out for:

Rot: Bulkhead, rear chassis legs, sills, wheel arches (inner and outer), boot floor, around the windscreen

4wd: The transfer boxes on these cars are hugely neglected resulting in faulty units in many cars. They rely on correct/equal tyre tread depth, accumulator bulb replacement and regular 'servicing' to keep them tip top. Check that the fuse is in place (fuse 19 iirc) and that there is no 4wd light illuminated when you are running the car. In fact, check that the bulb lights up at all as one trick of dodgy vendors is to remove the check warning light so that you don't realise that the box is at fault. Locking kits can be installed in transfer boxes but you still need a decent box to begin with.

Otherwise it's the usual things to look out for on a car; oil, noise, smoke etc. and making sure that all your trim is present and correct. These are general observations, not directed at Mitch's car in particular :lol:
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

humbucker wrote:Hi Barney and welcome to the website.

Areas on all Cavaliers to look out for:

Rot: Bulkhead, rear chassis legs, sills, wheel arches (inner and outer), boot floor, around the windscreen

4wd: The transfer boxes on these cars are hugely neglected resulting in faulty units in many cars. They rely on correct/equal tyre tread depth, accumulator bulb replacement and regular 'servicing' to keep them tip top. Check that the fuse is in place (fuse 19 iirc) and that there is no 4wd light illuminated when you are running the car. In fact, check that the bulb lights up at all as one trick of dodgy vendors is to remove the check warning light so that you don't realise that the box is at fault. Locking kits can be installed in transfer boxes but you still need a decent box to begin with.

Otherwise it's the usual things to look out for on a car; oil, noise, smoke etc. and making sure that all your trim is present and correct. These are general observations, not directed at Mitch's car in particular :lol:
FUNNY ,
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Just some general advice on Cavs following original post, wasn't aiming it at yours Mitch
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

humbucker wrote:Just some general advice on Cavs following original post, wasn't aiming it at yours Mitch
You no me always taking the pee. :thumb
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Just to say the cav of to its new owner tonight ,have fun barney :thumb

Techincally I am not cav mk3 owner any more :shock:
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Pah, you're not getting off that easily Mitch, don't even think about shiftying off of the forum! :lol:

Good luck with the new car Barney, look forward to seeing more pics! 8-)
Barney

Post by Barney »

Cheers guys :thumb

Can't wait for it to be delivered on Friday, shame i wont get to have a good look around it till Saturday or Sunday. :cry

But on the upside my cousin has just started dating the local vauxhall dealrship parts manager so its all good.

Have already hit him up for whats on the shelf etc so the car will def be getting lots of love over the next month or so..

Well thats if it fit down the driveway to the garage :o altho if i can get the missus e46 330d in there im sure a cav wont cause to many issues.. :scratch :scratch :p
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Hi barney now I just need replacement now,but enjoy her I did :tdown
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

bigmitch wrote:Hi barney now I just need replacement now,but enjoy her I did :tdown
you're talking about the car, right? :?
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

humbucker wrote:
bigmitch wrote:Hi barney now I just need replacement now,but enjoy her I did :tdown
you're talking about the car, right? :?
HEHEHE , The car, you being hanging about me planetc to long :thumb
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

Hi barney glad you gave her another good home.

Looking forward to your wip.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.