Old Cavaliers rest where?

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Keltman1950

Old Cavaliers rest where?

Post by Keltman1950 »

I bought a 1993 MK3 in 2000, which has proven to be the most amazing workhorse ever. She probably runs better than ever now, at 96,000, but for a semi retired owner the cost of the next MOT - over £1,000 of work required to shocks, fuel tank, hbrake....is now prohibitive on top of £1,800 in the last three years. However, autobox, motor, and much mechanical is likely fine and the interior is still very clean. Where can a car like this go to quietly end and contribute to the remaining numbers on the road? :cry
Cavalier342

Re: Old Cavaliers rest where?

Post by Cavalier342 »

First of all hello.

A car like that belongs with someone who has the budget and time for the work needed. Shocks, fuel tanks and handbrake aren't massive jobs, but obviously you might mean other stuff on top of that.

If you like, you can make 50 posts on this forum and then put the car on advert for sale, or maybe you can find the parts you require from members here.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Post a few more details about the car, perhaps people have parts that can help. Does it need welding, etc
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Keltman1950

Post by Keltman1950 »

Thank You , both.

This car was undersealed and had diamond brite body protection from new, and has only been resprayed on one side below the mid level. It was reundersealed about two years ago. There have been several instances of welding beneath, but apparently not of main chassis members, and minor body rust treatment plus more extensive repair of one wheel arch. Minor repair where the rear crumple zone/bumber attach to the body at one point is required.

Mechanically, there is a recent battery, alternator recon, pads, discs, radiator repair, and cam belt. The car has been fully serviced throughout its life. There is no discernible loss of brake or hydraulic fluids, engine or transmission oils. Coolant requires only reasonable top ups.

The last MOT inspection, whilst predicting the need to replace both rear shock absorbers, reweld the cups and replace the fuel tank, saw no other obvious work required next time beyond the above.

The vehicle has been almost 100% reliable - let down only by battery and alternator. My feeling is that it is capable of going on, but does indeed require attention that is beyond me in terms of cost at the next service/MOT cycle. My guess is that this will include the above, minor rust treatment to a door and the repaired arch, and usual servicing.

The car cost £3,500 in 2000, so has been the bargain of a couple of decades! I would be interested in getting it assessed as to the real feasibility of its continuing to be serviceable (in which case I would likely part with it) or being scrapped for spares.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Parts are cheap as chips for guard old girls. Garages might charge stupid momey dog welding. But can't see why it would cost a grand for an mot
C30XE
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I agree, if you get the work done privately, it won't be as expensive. As said, parts are not expensive, especially through this owner's club.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

What model and engine size is it?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Keltman1950

Post by Keltman1950 »

lowrider dave wrote:What model and engine size is it?
This is the Cavalier Mk3 Envoy, with automatic transmission, and the 4 cylinder fuel injection petrol engine 1796cc. I
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

You can get a pair of rear shocks for less than £50. Hand brake cable £20 at most. Sounds like via garage is ripping you off.
C30XE
Keltman1950

Post by Keltman1950 »

It's clear that the parts are available, but I am not a mechanic myself, merely a very happy owner of an aging (like me!) car. The estimate from the garage that has looked after the care (save for the bodywork and welding) for 15 years suggests that the next MOT in January will require the new rear shocks and fuel tank, involving the removal and rewelding of the cups (Sorry - a bit beyond me) for some £500 total. I am adding £200 for the MOT, required works and full annual service and allowing a further £300 for the minor body issues that I have mentioned in "gestimating" a £1,000 cost at the end of January. The body shop looked the care over on the ramp two years ago and found little corrosion of anything of majot structural significance when they did the bodywork.

In the end, I suspect that only an enthusiast could maintain this car from now, so am reluctantly looking for the next one. Where is best to advertise privately rather than trade/sell for scrap?
thegriffin

Post by thegriffin »

I've got the same problem .If I had to pay a garage
to maintain my car ,it would have had to go years
ago.
Unfortunately many youngsters don't have the
knowledge or desire to do so today as cars are made
to be disposable.