Hi all! New here, but not new to Cavaliers :)

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Bob

Hi all! New here, but not new to Cavaliers :)

Post by Bob »

Hi everyone. Signed up a few weeks back, but this is the first chance I've had to say hello. Posted once or twice on the facebook group, in fact I've even scored a few bits for the current motor thanks to it - it's great!

Been a fan of the Cav for years and years. My (hopefully) brief Cav related history as follows. After owning Astra Mk1 and 2 it got to the early 00's and moved up to owning a couple of very very (very!) rough SRi's. Oh how they were rough, but I loved them all the same. Sadly I'm struggling to find any pics of them or the Astra's.

Fast forward a bit and I land a "proper" job. So I decided to buy a "new" car. I ended up in a ****ing awful Renault Megane... Oh god. Ran that thing for about 4 years until it (thankfully) got written off. Meanwhile I'd got another ropey old Cav. But it wasn't really roadworthy. So the Renault got taken away and I was left with a pittance from the insurance. My great job had disappeared from under my feet and I was on a low wage, we'd just had our first kid and I needed wheels.

So here comes "Buggy" A 1994 1.8i LS. Seen on autotrader with 74000 on the clock, and some service history. And not far away!

We ran this car from 2008 until 2014. I added the alloys (eBay cheapie) stuck a 'leccy sunroof in and the dreaded towbar (I actually do need one!) All it cost me was servicing, a radiator and two new driveshafts (£60 for the pair in 2012!) Alas the tinworm eventually won it's battle and the old girl, with 99999 on the clock, went to the scrappers. I wish I'd saved her, but she was rotten, the clutch had had it, it needed brakes, exhaust.... All sorts. And, the paint was bad. Really bad. The lacquer had crazed and peeled and flaked all over the body (it was like that when I bought it!) But it gave me 6 years of trouble-free motoring for a couple of hundred quid. I absolutely loved that car (still do), and I happily admit I burst into tears when I left the scrap yard that day :( One thing I took away from it was how underrated the 1.8 lump is. Sure it's no ball of fire, but it's bomb proof. And it sounds lovely (I love that 8 valve sound)

So, then I went and bought a 2002 F**d M****o. One years boring motoring later expensive repairs were on the horizon. So along came...

I've owned this one (no name as of yet) for four weeks. Another 1.8i, but this time in "posh" GLS trim. 105000 on the clock this time, with unbelievable service history. It was a good few miles travel away, but I decided it was worth a shot, and I'm glad I went for it. It is a peach of a car! Just today I've popped an electric sunroof motor etc in it, replaced a couple of bits of interior trim that were missing or damaged, the usual tidy up job. The arches are very good, underneath is solid. Nit picking would be the lacquer on the mirrors, and the clutch seems a bit "fierce" but then I'm getting used to it again after a year of hydraulic clutch action with the F**d.

So, that's about it really. I've had a good browse around, read some topics about stuff that's very familiar to me. I've never really needed to bother with the net much when it comes to Cavaliers, as they just, work... I posted a couple of time on VXon back when I first bought the LS, I think that was just about sunroof fitting though if I remember right. Certainly nothing major anyway. (Unlike the Renault!)

Cheers all, and thanks for reading :D

Bob
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Hi all! New here, but not new to Cavaliers :)

Post by Robsey »

Blimey Ford Mundane-o and a Renault !! :o
You sure know how to live on the edge. - Eeek!!

Totally agree about Cavs "just work".
They also seem to go for ever -
my 1.8 had done 227,000 miles before I changed it to a 2.0 8valve (C20NE).

And a lot more character than most other cars.
It looks like a nice tidy car you have there. :cool

Welcome aboard - Hopefully we will hear / see a lot more of your Cavalier's exploits as the weeks pass.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Haha Cheers. Thanks for the welcome!

That Renault led me to financial ruin. As I was paying the finance off the head gakset blew - TWICE. It got written off just one month after I fixed the head gasket the second time. When it worked it was nice to drive, the typical French rolly-polly ride, lots of grip. Lots of toys inside - when they worked. The aircon was rubbish as I remember.

The Ford was OK, decent drive. Dull dull dull though. The noises the suspension made on anything but a totally smooth surface were alarming though. And the steering was very dodgy over the bumps.

Nah, it's not "me" without a Cav in my life. Every single day after the old LS went to the scrapper I pined for another. Next to my compuer (where I am sat right now) is a framed picture of the LS, with another frame next to it containing all its tax discs from about 1998 to 2014. Yeah, I was in love with that car, lol. And now the "new" one has come along and I'm feeling it all over again.

Once driven, forever smitten. They were so so right.

Bob
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Hello and Welcome, Nice of you to join us on here. Keep posting loads of photos we all love pics :p
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Nice introduction story.
There is a lot of sarcasm and banter here (or was) so be aware.

Troy
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Welcome to the site - hope you find your stay pleasant. :thumb
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Hello and welcome!

Looks like a very tidy GLS you have there.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Hello & Welcome :wave
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Welcome along Bob, nice intro story :)
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS