Hi from Cornwall

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Mahogany Rush Steve

Hi from Cornwall

Post by Mahogany Rush Steve »

Hi to all,

my name is Steve,

I live in Ladock in Cornwall and after having trouble getting spares thought that I'd better try somewhere that is dedicated to Vauxhall cavaliers.

Recently I had trouble getting a set of ignition leads for my car, they came in a set of 4, there was no lead from the coil to the distibutor cap. :wall
I contacted a company in Bodmin called "Fast Track" that makes up sets of leads, using your old leads as a template / pattern, when I went to pick them up the guy (Dave), told me that from his database and the leads I gave him that he had found out that my actual engine was from a Vauxhall Astra.
I had suspected it wasn't the original block as the engine number does not match that in the log book.
Hopefully this should help with future purchases, but unfortunately this will totally throw off suppliers when using their computers when I give them the registration number.
I remember when all that was required was the make, model and cc of the car, and they would look it up in the required book, depending on what part was required, most of the staff in these places now rely soley on the computer, and don't know how to help you if the computer tells them that it is the only part they can supply.

Well, bye for now, and if any of you live in Cornwall, it would be great to hear from you!
colin1

Re: Hi from Cornwall

Post by colin1 »

Mahogany Rush

That takes me back...
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
colin1

Post by colin1 »

Which model Cavalier do you have?

I'm not sure why having an Astra engine in your Cavalier should be such an issue when/if the same engine quite possibly appeared in Cavaliers anyway. Vauxhall were and are a volume manufacturer and in the finest traditions of volume manufacture they make as many parts compatible with as many makes and models across their range as they can, in the pursuit of competitive pricing.

It was nice of Dave to point out where your engine originally came from but HT leads shouldn't really be an issue.
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
Mahogany Rush Steve

Post by Mahogany Rush Steve »

The problem is that there are a few different types of engine fitted in Cavaliers.

I too thought that all the parts should be the same, but found out the hard way.

Just recently my Cavvy was running a bit cold and the heater was taking a bit longer than usual to heat up, so I thought it may be the thermostat, when I tried to undo the housing two bolts snapped off, so I wasn't too happy about that.
I ordered a new thermostat through my local mechanic, as it works out cheaper for me, but the one supplied wasn't what was fitted to my car, the one in my car comes complete with the housing not a separate thermostat like the one supplied, checking the Haynes manual it stated that there were two different types. In fact it stated that I may have to remove timing cover and belt to access it, thank God that was wrong (in my car anyway). I have never come across this problem before, all my previous cars have always had a separate thermostat.

To top this my mechanic tested the one I had removed to tell me that it was o.k. so I now had the problem of drilling out the snapped off bolts as all other attempts to remove them had failed, this required me to remove the radiator and also to cut off the ends of some drills to get to the problem, I did manage to get them out but in doing so nearly ruined the rest of the housing on the water pump side, it didn't leave enough metal and upon refitting it left it leaking, which meant I had to remove all the parts again and repair it with some stuff called "Quick Steel". This apparently is a common annoyance when drilling out broken bolts/studs that are going into alloy, the drill doesn't always stay in the steel but veers off into the alloy, very annoying to say the least.
I haven't finished working on it yet but just hope that it hasn't all been a waste of time, because if this doesn't work I will need to replace the water pump as well, which will mean removing the timing belt etc.
As for the ignition leads, I have been told that the sets of four connect up differently to the ones I have, as my Cavvy has a coil, and the fifth lead connects to the coil, and all my previous cars have had coils.
I can only go by my recent experiences to say that I know what I'm saying in this case is true, and I'm as baffled as anyone might be if they think I'm talking nonsense.

By the way thank you to anyone that makes any comments on this.