proud Cavalier owner with a bit of a problem

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

paolhart

proud Cavalier owner with a bit of a problem

Post by paolhart »

I am a retired designer living in Southampton and have owned my 2 ltr Mk 3 facelift for 7 years. It has just flown through it's MOT with no advice notes. he following night it was broken into in an attempt to steal it. the passenger door was bent outwards at the top [seems to be the weak point! The very amateur attempt resulted in the steering wheel being snapped off of the column This is the second attempt. 18 months ago, it was damaged in that incident with the same manner of entry. This last attempt shows via CCTV, a group of Hoodies with a length of scaffold pole that was used to supposedly break the steering lock. The Police suspect a local person who has 2 Mk 3 models in his garden.......He doesn't like to spend cash on parts perhaps, so gets lads to steal for him. Another Cavalier was broken into on the same night with the same MO. I have been very lucky to source a steering column with wheel and all the bits and my very friendly local garage will do the repairs. They know my car and have helped me keep it in great condition. However all of this has hit my pocket. So.... beware of the way of entry into your Cavalier. the top of the front doors is an easy place to allow the window section to be levered out enough to accommodate an arm inside to pull up the door lock button.
I almost gave up driving because of this last escapade. I then decided that I love the old car too much to lose it. I found your site, read through some of the forum and it gave me the will to get my baby back on the road...Thanks Guys! Paol.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: proud Cavalier owner with a bit of a problem

Post by James McGrath »

Hello Paol. Welcome to the forum! :wave

Sorry to hear about your Cav being broken into, I hope all the damage is repairable.
Bending the door back like that is indeed a very common way of gaining entry into older vehicles, luckily the Cavalier's deadlocks stop most of those types of attack.

My LS has had 2 attempted break-ins. One when it was still a fairly new car (1996ish). The car was left in a multi story car park during the day. it was locked but the deadlock wasn't set. They got in easily but were stopped by the steering wheel lock. They ended up breaking the column just like yours. Luckily the repairs were all paid for by the insurance as the car was still worth something back then.

The second time was much later, probably around 2008. It was left parked on street outside my uncles house overnight. Some ruffians attempted to break in by bending the door back. Thankfully the deadlocks were set and they got no further than that. I just physically bent the door back into shape, although it's never really been the same since; I still get a bit of wind noise from it at high speed.

Anyway, hopefully you can get yours fixed up good as new and the police catch those responsible.
Maybe time to invest in some more security if it's the second time in 18 months.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Hello & Welcome :wave

Glad you decided to get it fixed, we had a area meet recently down your way where we managed to get 8 cars together for a chin wag & James offered his services with Tech 1 the Vauxhall diagnostic tool.See link for the photo's.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16231
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hello to the forum.

As said already - glad you are getting it fixed.
It is a total pain when this happens - yes the bending of the door frame is the main weakspot on many 90s cars.

The deadlock is amazing when it works...
The car is virtually impossible to get into.
Sadly my dead lock plays silly buggers and works once in every blue moon.

Goes without saying - ensure you have an alarm with immobiliser fitted if one isn't already.
I have also toyed with the idea of fitting a tracker for added peace of mind.

The southern region is very rich in member quantity, so plenty of help nearby if you need it.

Keep us informed with how you get on.
Kindest regards,
Rob :wave
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hi and welcome Paol :wave
Glad you found the forum - many members on here have a wealth of knowledge.
It's great to hear you're keeping your cav going :)

Same crap happened to me a couple of years ago. Luckily a neighbour disturbed them at 3.30

A bit of bending later...

Looks ok but it'll never be perfect in my mind :roll:

To be honest, my own fault in this world -( the one day in the whole year I somehow forgot to hide the dashcam and face for flip screen satnav. :wall ) -

Looking forward to hearing the story behind your passion for your car and seeing pics, please post here :
viewforum.php?f=21
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
paolhart

Post by paolhart »

Osiyo good people. Thank you all for your reply's. Update: REPLACEMENT COLUMN AND STEERING WHEEL HAS ARRIVED! Car off to workshop in the morning, so should be back on the blacktop next week. A rousing chorus of 'On The Road Again' is appropriate! Word from Mr Plod suggests that they have got some evidence on three local Oiks known to break into cars etc. Insurance company have totally rooked me and paying a pittance [Beware the evil Ageas]. On pins now 'cause I shall have my baby back! Still waiting for my replacement licence and need a new handbrake lever.
Apart from that all is good on my home front. Paol.