Hello everyone -

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

hdowell

Hello everyone -

Post by hdowell »

Hi, I'm Heather and I have joined this group to assist my son who is completely tech-phobic. So the story...
Chris has a Vauxhall Cavalier Mk 3 Saloon 2.5V6 1993. He did a fab job restoring it in his 20's....boy racer style, sold it then bought it back about 10 years ago. It has been in storage for about 6 years. He is reaching 40 this year, boy racer is out and he has decided to fully restore it to original and he has asked me if I can help him find the following. If anyone can help, if you have any of these bits, superb, or if you can supply or point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. He intends to show the car and drive it, has a mechanic helping in his spare time, use of a bodyshop at weekends and a devoted mother who would love to be able to find all these bits, before his 40th Birthday....on the 15th Sept! Yep, I know, tall order. I believe in miracles haha
To the list: Genuine bits preferably - Facelift model
Set of Vauxhall Cavalier bumpers GSI Front and back + side skirts - New or good as new
Front headlights and indicators - genuine GM
Rear light clusters
Set of 18" Momo Arrows 5 stud wheels - 8 or 9J Tyre size 215 or 225 x 18
Grateful for all replies...including the ones telling me I'm nuts...Thanks all
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Hello everyone -

Post by iangsi »

Hi Heather, it's a tight deadline your working to with regard to new parts you can try Genuine parts search or vauxhall green parts, the GSI bumpers, skirts & wheels you'll have to get second hand items & paint them to suit the car all this stuff pops up on ebay from time to time. Hope this is of some help to you.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Agreed Ian,
A full facelift body kit will have to be either a pattern part from some out-landish country or a very lucky ebay 2nd hand find.

Momo's are obviously not Vauxhall / Opel specific, so may be available from reputable wheel re-suppliers or again ebay.
Sadly I am not a wheel expert, so cannot be more help.

I had a look at Ebay and Gumtree without much success.

I have seen 4 stud 18s, and Corsa spec 16s, but 5 stud 18s are looking very hard to get.

Lighting items are more readily available, but even Vauxhall used to sell more than one specific make / brand.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Gsi / turbo kit is not available new. Most of the dealers don’t stock them any more. Those that do, prices are pretty high.

Now with regards to he rear turbo light clusters and number plate surround - they are extremely hard to find.... and very expensive and if not there will be lots of interest.

Head lights are pretty cheap,.. electric ones are a little more. The original parts will be much more...

I have a Momo steering wheel on turbo 2 and the original trim surround is present and from years ago. However some have the boss adapter present on later cars - due to fixing...

Second hand parts won’t be new condition obviously, they will have scuffs as already mentioned by earlier replies. These ideally need a touching up and a new coat of paint.

Some of my spares need good clean and repair and paint to make them decent. I do have some new boxed parts but these for my cavalier turbo project that I’m working for the past few years.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

I just noticed it’s alloy wheels. Again Momo, hard to come by...

Good luck with the project - it’ll be good to hear how it goes...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I don't want to be a kill joy, but getting parts for a "standard" trim level car is difficult. Took me nigh on a full year to get most parts for my LS spec car.

I am still unable to get some basic interior trim parts 3 years after my restoration started.

Two weeks for a GSi is asking for more than a miracle.
Good luck in your efforts, I hope you prove me wrong.
hdowell

Post by hdowell »

Thank you all so much for your advice and comments, all much appreciated. I have been trawling the internet for two days now and I will be following the treasured leads you have given me. Thank you so much. I will let you know how I get on and I am sharing all your comments with Chris and I have asked him for some pics so he can share his exciting project with you....I am resigned to the fact that I probably wont find everything he needs before his birthday, well not this years anyway ! Eternally optimistic and thank you all
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Some of us have spare parts laying around in garages, attics, sheds, etc etc, so I would expect you can find what you're looking for fairly easy, assuming that people who have those parts laying around read your thread.

I can't imagine it will be too difficult.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

There’s a guy breaking a full cavalier turbo, .. some perhaps you may be lucky in getting parts... it’s on eBay item no. 323421872327. Pm me for details..

I’m back from my work travels and I do have most of the bits you need... here and there.

Good luck
hdowell

Post by hdowell »

Thanks to all of you and the contacts we have made through this wonderful group of enthusiasts, we reached our goal! Today is my sons 40th birthday and we have spent the last two weeks hunting down parts to restore his beloved Cavalier V6 . The Facebook community have been awesome. Much of it has come from there. From adverts and referrals there, we found the Momo wheels (5 studs just the ones he wanted), original GsI rear lights and boot lamp, original mud flaps. Great people, so helpful!. eBay we found front and rear bumpers, side skirt end caps, turbo spats and covers and Front light lens. Fuel tank was found online and we have a contact for the side skirts and other bits that weren't on the list I gave you! Chris has travelled to the depths of Wales, Birmingham, and leapt on a train to go 4 hours North to collect the rear lights. The revival of his dream has been an absolute joy to watch. As we have found parts that were hard or near impossible to find, it has been like Christmas nearly every day for a fortnight! He has found people who share his passion and we are both so grateful (and astounded) for the amount of help we have received. My faith in humanity (and miracles) is duly validated. So, thank you one and all for playing your part. As Chris moves forward with the restoration, I will be sharing some pics. This car is going to be special.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Well done on achieving your goal.
And congratulations and happy birthday to your son. :cheers :cheers

I look forward to seeing the progress of the restoration.

I will be the first to confess that I simply did not think that it could be achieved.

Although I thought you were sayng in the original post that the restoration would be finished for his birthday.
Not starting it on his birthday, which is a lot easier to envision.

Good luck to you all with what will be an often infuriating restoration.
Cavaliers love to repay blood, sweat and tears with more tasks out of the blue.

But the end result will be more than worth it.
hdowell

Post by hdowell »

Thank you for your kind words and birthday wishes Robsey, I can understand the confusion about the goal, reading it back again, you are right, I didn't make it absolutely clear in my original post! However, after the excitement and pressure over the last two weeks just trying to find parts, I will leave it to my son to set his own goal for finishing it!
It is already underway - just about everything has been stripped down already and the engine is out. He has given himself 9-12 months. I will have to ask for assistance on how to load pictures please and whether I can/should stay on this message thread when I've learnt how to do that?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You are more than welcome to continue this thread,
or you can open a new thread for Work In Progress (WIP).

If you want, I can change the title of this thread and convert it to a work in progress thread.
Just let me know what you need me to do.
You can message (pm) me, email me or just advise me on this thread, and I will tidy the thread up later if necessary.

As for pictures, this particular forum does not allow direct uploading of pictures, so it is necessary to host on a separate website such as photobucket, postimages or similar.

I use PostImages, which has free photo hosting for several thousand images if required.

I do not know how tech savvy you are,
But -

I upload pictures to postimages.

Joining / registering with postimages is free and painless.

For most pictures, I let the website reduce image size to 480x640.
This stops the picture being too big.

Once a picture is uploaded, you will be given a list of different link formats.

From memory I used the next to bottom link style in the list. Copy the link to your "clipboard",

Then you can paste the link into your forum post.

I keep two tabs open on my phone,
one for the forum page, and
the other for the postimage page.

It is a matter of just jumping between the two tabs as you copy and paste image links.

There are How2's on the forum, for using both hosting sites.