Good evening all

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Cavy96

Good evening all

Post by Cavy96 »

Hello everyone just recently purchased a nice tidy mk3 SRI, cars only covered 69k and had 4 previous owners and is a 96 on an N plate which is quite rare so I’m lead to believe, anyway I’ll post up a few pic and look forward to hearing from you all :thumb

[url=http://s1272..com/user/e461/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D75356FD-6DEC-43DE-89AF-8A59A18D99E7_zpstezskjql.jpeg.html]Image[/url]photobucket
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Good evening all

Post by Robsey »

A nice looking car you have there.
Very tidy.

Not sure about rare, but definitely a late model.
Mk 3 Cavaliers ceased normal sales in September 1995, although a few cars remained un-sold for a little while after that.
I have seen photos of an S reg Cavalier too, so definitely one that sat in a back-lot for quite some time.

What are your plans for your wee beastie?
Routine maintenance and enjoy the drive, or do you plan a few mods and tweaks?
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hello & welcome :wave

You've scored there!
i'm assuming it's the x20xev due to It's age.
I had one for fourteen years and it was really fun to drive, mainly due to the f18 close ratio gearbox.
I've got an x20xev cdx with the wide-ratio gearbox, more fuel efficient but no oomph!

With 18 years experience of ecotec (close ratio & wide ratio ) my perfect gearbox would be the first three gears from the cr box, with 4 &5 from the wr for economy. The sri always seemed to be screaming in 5th at close to motorway speeds.
Sri (cr)- third is brilliant for overtaking!
Cdx (wr)- third is useless and second is screaming disapproval :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Hello & Welcome :wave Nice looking cav you got there.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Looking very nice, you did well there!

Alan
Cavy96

Post by Cavy96 »

Thanks for the nice replies chaps

Basically I don’t have any what you could call big plans as such for the car other than sorting a few cosmetic bits that need sorting ie electric aerial is shot, need a front n/s fog light as the glass is different to the o/s, mirrors cound do with being painted and also the plastic boot lid add on has slight lacquer lift, other than that the body work is fantastic and the rear arches are also in an immaculate rust free state, the underside is again very solid and only had one very small patch of welding near the front o/s jack point..

Jobs already done since purchasing the car two and half month ago are..
Replaced all the struts with bilstein b4’s
Replaced springs with 35mm drop PI
Replaced all tyres with 195/50/15 to get rid of the balloon look the 60 profile give
Replace timing belt kit water pump etc along with a full service.
Cavity wax injected with dinitrol ML
Cleaned the whole underside rust encapsulated any surface rusted areas and coated with dinitrol 3125HS wax.
Next on the list is to detail the paintwork and get it as near perfect as possible . :thumb
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

The next factory tyre size is 205 55 15 as fitted to the GSI looks good on a lowered car & still retains some ride comfort.
Just read your post again & see you’ve already done it :oops: I was looking for some standard SRI springs if you still have them
Cavy96

Post by Cavy96 »

I do still have them mate only problem being one of the fronts had snapped.

To be honest replacing the struts with the b4’s has made a vast improvement on ride quality as well even running the 50 profile tyres I have no complaints.
Cavy96

Post by Cavy96 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Hello & welcome :wave

You've scored there!
i'm assuming it's the x20xev due to It's age.
I had one for fourteen years and it was really fun to drive, mainly due to the f18 close ratio gearbox.
I've got an x20xev cdx with the wide-ratio gearbox, more fuel efficient but no oomph!

With 18 years experience of ecotec (close ratio & wide ratio ) my perfect gearbox would be the first three gears from the cr box, with 4 &5 from the wr for economy. The sri always seemed to be screaming in 5th at close to motorway speeds.
Sri (cr)- third is brilliant for overtaking!
Cdx (wr)- third is useless and second is screaming disapproval :lol:
Yes mate it is an x20xev and I’m pleasantly surprised at how smooth it is to drive and how economical it is bearing in mind my daily car is an E46 M3 haha!.. considering I’ve never owned one before I used it for a month when I first bought it and loved every minute of it so these cavaliers are a new learning curve for me and I’m happy to finally own one as I’ve always loved the mk3s especially the GSI and SRI
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

That's a cracking motor you've got there, fella - well done!
Interesting that Robsey has seen an S-reg, there are photos of a P-reg online, and I myself saw an R-reg in Yorkshire - on the up journey - about 10 years ago, and would you believe I saw it AGAIN in the same village about a week later, on the down journey?!
1995 (M) Cavalier 2.0 16v GLS saloon
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Here is an earlier thread on late model Cavaliers.
There is an S reg in one of Humbucker's posts.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12129

Oddly it is reported to have been registered in December 1995, but has not been taxed or tested since 2013. What a shame.