Hello from Hawick - Tom

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

CaptainCavMan

Hello from Hawick - Tom

Post by CaptainCavMan »

Hello.

So 7 or more years since getting rid of the terminally rusty, endlessly patched Mistral Grey 91/92 5-dr 1.6L Cav I'd owned from near-new, I've bought another one whilst my 1968 Viva is undergoing protracted (very) body repairs. It's a 1994 1.8i LS with all sorts of new-fangled stuff like FI, ABS, a Catalyst ... I'm in Hawick in the Scottish Borders, though hailing originally from further west and north in Renfrewshire. I didn't really need another project just a runaround for a year or two, but I've fallen head over heels for this car and mean to treat it well and hope it will become a long-term survivor.

New stop-gap temporary Cavalier -which after a polish has came up rather nicely:

This is my old 1.6L just days before a banger racer bought it for peanuts to have his wicked way with it:

thomas
--
Cav 1994 18iLS 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Viva 1968 1.2 Deluxe 2-door Pine Green: WiP. :D
Suzuki GS500 1999. UJM. :D
Cav 1992 1.6L 5-dr Mistral Grey Metallic: RIP. :(
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Hello from Hawick - Tom

Post by iangsi »

Hello & Welcome :wave Nice looking LS you’ve found yourself.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Welcome, and nice to see another tidy Cav!
(been through several Viva's myself!)

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Welcome to the forum Thomas.

Looking forward to reading about the progress on your car.
Feel free to start a W.I.P. (Work in progress) thread.

I agree, they are pesky blighters that get under your skin.

It looks like a very late '94 LSi with those alloys.
They were still fitting plastic wheel trims upto September '94.

The C18NZ engine isn't the most powerful at 89bhp, but mine was more than willing, fast and reliable enough.

It should make a good work horse, as long as it gets at least one good service per year.
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

Thanks people. It's proving to be rather nice and has led rather a sheltered life. I guess too that the alloys were a factory-fitted option. I don't mind tasteful mods, or those which enhance safety or practicality, but really mean to keep the original and factory-fresh spec and look. I was lucky to find a part of the factory build-sheet inside the centre-console, which gives the vin etc. and all the option codes also found on the rivetted plate.

I'm trying to rapidly re-acquaint myself with all things Cavalier, after a long sentimental immersion in the Viva world. There are sure to be some bits and bobs needed, I have a minor list already (grey o/s mirror outer cover, fuel-flap, the plastic finger grip bits on the underseat seat adjusters, parcel-shelf support cord, door-trim clips ...) the spares situation is undoubtedly worse than seven years ago, but unlike with my 1.6L I'm starting with an absolutely sound unwelded unbodged shell and it doesn't seem like I'll throwing good money after bad in aiming high. First up is comprehensive underseal and cavity-wax application, professionally done, but with some insight from how and where my old car rusted and was patched up, and some borescope use to try precisely target and then verify coverage of critical areas.

I'd still be happier with an earlier Mk.3 sans FI, ABS, Airbags, Cat, seat-belt gizmos etc. I'm no luddite or technophobe but feel the long-term maintainability of these things is going to be a greater difficulty than the ever-menacing rust.

Goodnight all.

thomas
--
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

CaptainCavMan wrote:I'd still be happier with an earlier Mk.3 sans FI, ABS, Airbags, Cat, seat-belt gizmos etc. I'm no luddite or technophobe but feel the long-term maintainability of these things is going to be a greater difficulty than the ever-menacing rust.
Blimey, that factory build sheet must be rare! Nice to have. :thumb

I know what you mean about maintainability.
There is so much less to worry about on the lower spec cars. You never have to worry about chrome strips deteriorating, rear boot panels cracking or the paint lacquer peeling if you don't have any in the first place.

The higher up the line you go the worse it gets; my CDX V6 is an apostolate bast*rd to maintain compared to my 1.6i LS.

You've got a good car there though, should be easy to maintain.
The C18NZ engine is bomb proof, you've got the later ABS system which is reliable and you can still get parts for, the air bags and seat belt pre-tensioners hardly ever go wrong either.
It will be a bit easier to keep the tin worm at bay compared to your old 1.6 as well; the face-lifted cars had much better rust protection.
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

Thanks for the welcome James and others. I wish I hadn't given the banger-racer the Haynes manual I had for the K-reg one, as the updated manuals covering to '95, try to cover too many variations in engines, suspension, braking systems etc. and make quite a poor and confusing picture of it. I've been busy with other things and have done only minor work on the car in the last two weeks: t-cut and polish, removing an abomination of an aftermarket alarm, replacing tyres, oil, oil filter and air filter ...

In the Haynes (RIP) BoL it says - on ABS brakes: "Disc brakes are fitted to all four wheels"
I have drums on the rear, with ABS sensors on the backplates. How? What? When? Where? Why? Such a setup is not even acknowledged in the Haynes book, much less covered. I'm not disappointed I remember on a Mk4 S-plate Astra 1.8 16v CDi I owned (the engine lives on), the rear disc brakes were dire as well as seeming a really piss-poor design, and I'm mildly cheered this Cavalier doesn't have anything like that cock-eyed setup. Like the K-reg 1.6L which though registered in 92 was clearly an older-stock 1991 spec. halfway-house, this car too though reg'd in Oct '94 is a strange fusion of old and newer specification..

laters, thomas
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My understanding is that all cars upto and including 1.8's are drum brake equipped.

All 2.0 litre and 2.5's are discs all round.

Mine was upgraded to 2.0 litre seven years ago, and I still find that the drum brakes are more than up to the job.

As with anything Vauxhall -
In the last 12 to 18 months of production, Vauxhall tend to throw whatever is left in the parts bins on to their cars.

As with any manufacturer, toys are added at the launch of each phase of production, and then reduced as the models become due for replacement.

As you mention it,
Haynes do not even mention the multi-vee alternator drive belt with automatic tensioner. And how the belt passes through the right-hand engine mount.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

The Haynes manual also completely omits anything to do with Air conditioning, even though that was first added to the range for the 1992 model year (starting Sep 1991).
There is also not a snippet of information on the V6 engine despite the fact it was released before the ecotec engine, which is covered.
Very frustrating.

Rob is right about the drums. 2.0 and up had rear discs whereas everything else had rear drums. That's the same across all Mk3 Cavs, 1988 to 1995.
They did change the size of said discs quite allot though. I know the 1.6 had at least 3 different sized front discs, slowly getting bigger throughout the years of production.

Anyway, I digress. Initially ABS was only available on 2.0i models so that may be where the Haynes manual gets it from.
Later on it was offered as an option extra on all models and finally made standard on all models in 1994.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I do not know if you have EPC3 or 4,
but here is what you POC (Production Option Codes) mean.

POC / RPO Codes and descriptions

46L - EXTERIOR PAINT,VAUXHALL JUNGLE GREEN 359/46U/46L 1993 -
2J1 - COVER, FLOOR INNER STANDARD
82I - INTERIOR-GREY
A32 - ELECTRICALLY OPERATED WINDOWS,FRONT
AG5 - FRONT SEAT,RH,HEIGHT ADJUSTER,MANUAL
AJ3 - DRIVER'S AIR BAG
AK3 - HEAD RESTRAINT FRONT CLOTH OPEN
AM9 - REAR SEAT,SPLIT COLLAPSIBLE
AQ6 - FRONT SEAT ADJUSTABLE BACK
AU3 - DOOR LOCK,ELECTRIC
B88 - MOULDING,TAILGATE
CF4 - SUN ROOF,TRANSPARENT,MANUAL
GS8 - AXLE RATIO 3.94
JL9 - ABS
K73 - ALTERNATOR,70AMP
LH8 - C18NZ ENGINE PETROL
LUT - MANUFACTURED IN LUTON.
M79 - MANUAL TRANSMISSION,5 SPEED
N40 - POWER STEERING, NON-VARIABLE RATIO
N46 - STEERING WHEEL,FOUR SPOKES
PY4 - WHEEL,ROAD,ALUMINIUM,51/2JX14
QUW - TYRES,195/60 R 14-85H
T39 - LAMPS TURN SIGNAL AUXILARY
T5X - EMISSION,3 WAY CATALYTIC CONVERTER,REGULATED
T6G - TRIM PANEL,INNER,S/LUX,VARIANT 1
T72 - HEADLAMPS LEFT HAND TRAFFIC
TR6 - HEADLAMP LEVELLING MANUAL
TN5 - BATTERY,44AH
U16 - INSTRUMENT TACHOMETER
U73 - ROD,AERIAL
UC1 - SPEEDOMETER ASSEMBLY MPH
VG2 - PROTECTION WAX,DELETE
W1J - RADIO SC303 D (C)
W6G - TRIM,CLOTH,S/LUX,VARIANT 1
W7H - ENGINE HOLDENS
W8X - ADDITIONAL PARTS RADIO INSTALLATION
XN8 - FOR GREAT BRITAIN
XQ2 - FOR VAUXHALL
Z1Y - PAINT TWO COAT

For some reason the seven-hundred codes are not listed.
Overall a very similar spec to my 1994 LSi, but with additional : -
alloy wheels,
boot molding,
adjustable backs on the front seats.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Here's a proper history of ABS on the Mk3 Cavalier;
- When the MK3 Cavalier was first introduced, ABS was only standard on the GSi and an optional extra on all other models, and that includes everything. You could even specify a 1.4 with ABS if you wanted!
- Then sometime in 1990, ABS was made standard on the SRi and CD as well as the GSi, it remained and optional extra on all other models. When the Diplomat was released in 1992, that too had ABS as standard.
- When the car was facelifted in October 1992, ABS was made standard on Turbo, SRi, CD, Diplomat and for the first time on the 4x4 too (That's the standard 2.0i 8v 4x4 by the way). However, ABS remained an option for all other models. When the V6 was introduced at the end of 1993, that too had ABS as standard.
- Finally, ABS was made standard on all models in April 1994.

So in short, the Haynes manual is lying when it says that ABS was only fitted with cars with rear discs.
In fact, you could get ABS on a Cav with rear drums right from the start.
However, ABS was only standard on Cavaliers with rear discs up until April 1994. (CD, SRi, GSi, 4x4, Diplomat and Turbo).
Furthermore, optional extras on Cavaliers are an extremely rare thing, most customers would rather opt for the higher model than specify expensive extras on a lower model. So while a 1.4 with ABS was possible, it was extremely unlikely.
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

Thanks for all the info. All the codes (what does POC stand for -Production Option Code?) including the alloys all check with the actual specification, incredibly rare after 25 years to find one so 'unimproved'. It did have wind deflectors on both front and on one rear window, which I've immediately binned, they looked horrendous, distorted the seals and the 'leccy windows weren't too pleased with them either. I've sorted the squinty front grille, and hope to get the tail lights and trailblazer panels to align with each other better.

I've got the handbrake cable adjuster along the rear-beam turning all the way off and back on again, a minor victory, I always kept mine on the 16L turning by giving it a twiddle back and forward every few months and a scrub with a wire brush and squirt of spray grease. Taking up the slack in the cable has transformed the handbrake itself, important itself as outside my home it's parked on a hill which makes even taking a wheel off a daredevil act, but has also greatly reduced the travel on the footbrake, with zero binding so it's all good. The shrouds on the rear not original rear-shocks are a bit crusty so replacements for those are on the cards. I'll be looking to replace too a small portion of the n/s sill -it is still an unexplored blister, slap bang in the middle just forward of the B-pillar.

I'm really going to have to bone up on compatibility of parts with other models. What is marring the appearance of the car (and any enthusiasm for a photo-session) for me, no-one else would probably notice, is the fuel-filler flap, I doubt it belongs on a Cav Mk3, it sits too far in at the hinge end, doesn't have the hole for the central locking pin, is red on the inside and has a very thin and dry 360 grit rough unlaquered rattle-can finish, the colour match isn't bad, it's just the execution. Ebay has been unavailing. I'm holding out for a factory-finished Jungle-Green flap, but if that's asking for the moon on a stick will soon be having a go at repainting any other colour correct flap with sound original paint.

I'll probably start a progress thread, but the car is awaiting MoT test then going away for a week-plus for rustproofing/underseal, cavity wax etc. After that after a sigh of relief and rest, for these have been a trying few weeks on the car front, then take stock, see how it is faring and batten down the hatches (and saloons) for a salty winter.

thomas
--
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

Two questions about using the forum, well three actually, assuming I'm not still banned -I couldn't register with my preferred email address as it was already registered from the old Mk3OC site, but how do I edit posts? I'm a grammar and spelling extremist. And is there a log-out button/link somewhere or other?
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you email myself or James, we should be able to look at resuurecting your old account.

Hopefully the ban was not for anything serious. BUT - the past is the past.

UPDATE - I have checked for other accounts on your IP address, but none of them are banned.
And none of the posts appear to be worthy of a ban.

PM sent with possible user names and for password reset.

Editing a post is possible within the first 15 minutes of posting.
After that the post becomes locked from editing.
Although again, an admin can make changes for you. Again just drop us a pm and I / we will do what we can.

As for logging out,
If you have not ticked the log me in automaticly button, then you should be logged out when you leave the forum.

Logging out should be a matter of clicking on your name on the top banner of the web page.
A drop down menu appears with Log Out at the bottom of the menu.
Just click on that.
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

Robsey wrote:I do not know if you have EPC3 or 4,
but here is what you POC (Production Option Codes) mean.

POC / RPO Codes and descriptions
[...]
I have not got EPC3, nor dog forbid EPC4, not only do I not have them (I think) I don't know what they are, have not got the foggiest idea, I've searched teh web and found 'Electronic Payment Controller' and 'Electronic Pump Control' and some others but nothing vaguely car related. Where can I find them, and could they have rolled under the seat?
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ah okay... let me back up the bus a bit.

EPC3 and 4 are the official Vauxhall Electronic Parts Catalogue.
So it is not a physical entity in the car.

If you put you VIN or Registration Number in the relevant search box,
Assuming the car is recognised, a full listing of the POC / build sheet codes is displayed.

The POC codes are the three digit alpha-numeric codes on your build sheet.

And the listing of these codes is in my post above.
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

I can't find this Logout button, when I click on my name where it says Welcome, CaptainCavMan or on the little downward pointing arrowhead, my cursor changes as if it were a link but nothing actually happens on clicking it. It'll be my ageing version of Firefox or some security thing related to javascript or some offsite script which is not loading. I can live with it, most other things work :cheers
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have updated my last post.
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

Thanks Robsey, got you now, was pulling your leg just a little. I'll need to find some parts manual for the Cav or find some way of accessing it, to cross-reference, for checking parts compatibility and so on, I'm completely in the dark in that respect . For the HB I've got physical dealer books (and PDF copies) but books went the way of the dodo in the 80s, and no doubt microfiche went the same way by the end of that decade. Back in the early 80's in the dealership I worked in most of the old parts books were stored in damp conditions in the back of a scrapper CF van in one of the several large collapsing leaky hangar-style sheds where new several hundred new cars were also perilously stored. I wish I'd had the foresight to save some of the parts books, but we would be talking Vivas, Chevettes, Mk1 Cavs, Victor/VXs and stuff, all pre-mk2 Cavalier stuff. Thank you for filling me in. :thumb
--
CaptainCavMan

Post by CaptainCavMan »

I'm just rounding off this intro post with some pics of my HB in its not so long ago shinier days. For Alan, above and others.

It's a bit over-processed this one but it's a nice effect.

"All I want for xmas is an offside inner wing".
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

CaptainCavMan wrote:Thanks Robsey, got you now, was pulling your leg just a little. I'll need to find some parts manual for the Cav or find some way of accessing it, to cross-reference, for checking parts compatibility and so on.
My pleasure.
The software / program that would do this is EPC, as long as your VIN or Registration Number is still listed.

If you PM me your car details, I can let you know if it is indeed recognised.
VIN is always better than the reg number.

EPC is meant to be a dealership software / program, along with TIS2000.

Both were leaked onto the internet, and even some ebay venders used to sell them.

TIS2000 is the Vauxhall dealership official Technical Info System.
This is like a very twisted version of a workshop manual.
Trust me, Haynes is a lot easier to understand and to navigate.
But you have to be careful.
Early versions had technical illustrations for the older cars...
But later versions got wiring diagrams for 1999 onward cars, but lost the illustrations.
Very bizarre / frustrating.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Try this for an online catalogue.

https://vauxhall.7zap.com/en/car/

Ecat24 was a great site, but got an sql error that it never fixed. :(
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hello and welcome Tom :wave

It's good to hear you've renewed your interest in mk3's, upgrading is a reward in itself when you find a car you like :)
Manual Manta for front electric windows ( my 1990 gl ) for example - a luxury for me at the time :D

Looks like you've got a good one there with a decent shell, bodywork was always my downfall :(

Your pics bring back memories of CB days, my mate (son of a scrapyard dealer) drove mainly vivas, then a magnum.

matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt