Does anyone want to save a 1994 1.8ls cavalier?

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Steve Jones

Does anyone want to save a 1994 1.8ls cavalier?

Post by Steve Jones »

Hi there, I just joined yesterday with the express purpose of avoiding scrapping my dads L reg 1994, 1.8ls cavalier. (18NZ engine)
He’s just moved on to a newer car after using the cavalier for the past 22 years!
I’ve always maintained it for him, and as a mechanic by trade it’s always seemed so easy compared with anything else these days!
The car is complete, running and has a couple of months mot left on it, though it does need some welding at the rear of the sills now, isn’t otherwise mechanically sound for a 170k mile car. I was hoping one of you guys would be able to use it for parts or give it a home, please get in touch ASAP if interested, the cars location is in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire many thanks, Steve.
3cav3

Re: Does anyone want to save a 1994 1.8ls cavalier?

Post by 3cav3 »

Hi what sort of money are you looking for?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Hello Steve, Welcome to the forum. :wave

Always nice to hear of a Cav that's been looked after by the same owners for so long.
Sorry to hear that your father wants to move on from it.

I'm sure there is some one on here that can help you.
Remember they are worth a bit of money now if they are in good nick. Have you considered fixing the welding and selling it?
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Hi there, sorry for the slow reply, I’m only looking for scrap value (approx £120) as it’s basically at the end of its time with us, and I wouldn’t describe it as the tidiest example, having said that, it’s a complete runner, and I’d far rather see it in the hands of someone who can use at least one part of it than see it squashed! Thanks, Steve.
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

James McGrath wrote:Hello Steve, Welcome to the forum. :wave

Always nice to hear of a Cav that's been looked after by the same owners for so long.
Sorry to hear that your father wants to move on from it.

I'm sure there is some one on here that can help you.
Remember they are worth a bit of money now if they are in good nick. Have you considered fixing the welding and selling it?
Hi there, thanks for the warm welcome!
(I probably should have joined at the other end of our long cavalier journey!)
I did think of doing the welding but as my dad is well in to his 80’s now and I’ve got less and less time for more involved repairs, it’s the right time for us to let it go.
Unfortunately for me as the mechanic who has maintained it, I really don’t want to see it scrapped, it’s not the tidiest but it’s a pretty solid runner with many useful parts, a good organ donor, I’m sure my dad would buy another tomorrow if he could!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Steve Jones wrote:Hi there, sorry for the slow reply, I’m only looking for scrap value (approx £120) as it’s basically at the end of its time with us, and I wouldn’t describe it as the tidiest example, having said that, it’s a complete runner, and I’d far rather see it in the hands of someone who can use at least one part of it than see it squashed! Thanks, Steve.
I'll speak to the wife and see if she will let me have another, your quite close to me as I'm only just the other side of Monmouth to you.
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

3cav3 wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:Hi there, sorry for the slow reply, I’m only looking for scrap value (approx £120) as it’s basically at the end of its time with us, and I wouldn’t describe it as the tidiest example, having said that, it’s a complete runner, and I’d far rather see it in the hands of someone who can use at least one part of it than see it squashed! Thanks, Steve.
I'll speak to the wife and see if she will let me have another, your quite close to me as I'm only just the other side of Monmouth to you.
Ok, any questions, just ask. I’m not sure if I can add any photos, I read somewhere I need to have at least 50 posts behind me before I can advertise a car properly.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

At the moment shes saying no, but I'll see if I can change her mind. She seems to think that already having 5 cars on the drive is too many, lol.
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Aha I feel your pain, it really gets silly when you get in to double figures! If it helps, I have a trailer and could bring it to you!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Is the Pas and drivers side window motor working ok?
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Hi, yes the motors & windows work, the windows can be a bit slow as they seem to be a bit hampered by the seals, they do go all the way up and down tho.
Sterimmer

Post by Sterimmer »

How much m8 my late dad tought me to drive in one
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Armour

Post by Armour »

Hi Steve Jones, how much you are looking for the car?
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Sterimmer wrote:How much m8 my late dad tought me to drive in one
Hi Sterimmer, I’m only looking for scrap value for the car which is £100 at best at the moment, any offer considered, I had it running with some fresh petrol again the other day!
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Armour wrote:Hi Steve Jones, how much you are looking for the car?
Hi Armour, I’m only looking for scrap value for the car which is £100 at best at the moment, any offer considered, I had it running with some fresh petrol again the other day!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Did someone get this and save it from the scrapper?
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Hi there cavalier 1990, in reply to your question, no, nobody has saved it from the scrapper yet, tho it’s probably my fault as I didn’t check for replies for a while!
The car is still in existence and due to the covid extension, still mot’d till November, I will need to move it on soon tho, need the garage space (yes it is still garaged!)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi Steve

If I had the space, the money and the time I'd snap it off you! I'd probably be looking to put it on a few of the facebook groups if you're on there, should be someone interested in it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/510315939054963

Cheers

Andrew