Hello folks

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Dave Cav

Hello folks

Post by Dave Cav »

Hi There,
i'm Dave from Glasgow.
i have a '93' 'L' Reg Cavalier hatchback 2,0 GLSi and only 69,350 on the clock. Just had the MOT done again with no referrals again as well. That's three on the trot now at just thirty five quid. i don't drive it very much, just locally so only 2000 miles this past year. In the past i have driven it to London, Bridlington, Harrogate and Cambridge vising friends and family in the almost four years i have owned it
Still a great car to drive and keeps up with all the modern stuff.
In the past year i have had three attempted break-ins after moving to a new flat, seems these cars are still popular lol.
No entry was gained due to the dead-lock system but i have since removed the new high spec Sony Digital Radio i installed, pretty sure that's what they are after.
So now i am in need of O/S and N/S door locks and have since found out that these were only sold including the lock carriers, one of my carriers, N/S is smashed to bits anyway.
Could anyone point me to someone who would have these parts for sale, both N/S and O/S door carriers and locks with keys, thanks in anticipation. cheers, Dave
Cavalier342

Re: Hello folks

Post by Cavalier342 »

Welcome Dave. You just can't have anything these days without some scumbags always trying to mess with it.

Hope you can find replacement parts, I'm sure someone has a set kicking around somewhere. I bought a complete lock set before, it came with door locks, ignition switch, glovebox lock and tailgate locks with 2 keys. Swapped everything over. Not sure if you can still find those still.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have looked online, and it appears that the lock set has long since become obsolete - according to Genuine Parts Search.

But you could always ask your local dealer for the following part numbers.

or
If without locking filler cap.

Or
If you have a locking filler cap.

I have bought parts from dealers that GPS do not stock, so it is worth a punt.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Hello & Welcome :wave
I hope you find the parts you're looking for.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You could send a pm to EnvoyCDX.
He has quite a large array of new and used Cavalier parts.

Hopefully he may be able to assist you in your search.

It may take a wee while, because he is still sorting his parts out.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hi and welcome Dave,
sounds like a good one, looking forward to seeing the pics & progress :)
Dave Cav wrote:In the past year i have had three attempted break-ins after moving to a new flat, seems these cars are still popular lol.
No entry was gained due to the dead-lock system but i have since removed the new high spec Sony Digital Radio i installed, pretty sure that's what they are after.
I think you're right. My car was damaged in an attempt to get the stereo and dashcam that I accidentally left fitted (the only night) :roll:
I did think about fitting remote access and de-locking the car previously but it turned out that wouldn't have worked anyway, they pulled the top of the door out. I didn't think of that :wall
Robsey wrote:I have looked online, and it appears that the lock set has long since become obsolete - according to Genuine Parts Search.

But you could always ask your local dealer for the following part numbers.

or
If without locking filler cap.

Or
If you have a locking filler cap.

I have bought parts from dealers that GPS do not stock, so it is worth a punt.
I checked the first two part numbers, nearly 300 quid all-in for the first, 120 for the second.
https://www.online-parts.co.uk/vauxhall ... -part.html
https://www.online-parts.co.uk/vauxhall ... s=90346503

so used seems to be the way to go, as Robsey suggests. My local vx dealer seems to have bug**r all.

You could also try contacting ebay sellers who are breaking a cav e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOOT-LID-VAU ... %7Ciid%3A1

and I'm still considering something like this as a deterrent while I decide what cctv to fit, if I do*
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Warning-T ... 0008.m2219

*It's a quiet area (usually) and I don't want to appear as paranoid/weird/drug dealer, I just want to protect my car!

matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
etd

Post by etd »

Welcome!
etd aka Mark

Drives: 2006 VW Fox, 2016 Citroen C4 Cactus, 2022 Audi A1
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Hi, sorry to hear about the breakin attempts.
MK3 Astra, and Corsa B locks will fit too, you may have to alter them slightly (later Astra MK3 ignition barrels for example have a slightly different fitment, but can be swapped over if you're comfortable with taking the barrels apart, or can find a locksmith willing to take on the work of swapping the tumblers (probably best to refurb and regrease the replacement locks anyhow).

I'm fairly sure I have a full set of Astra Mk3 locks somewhere.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Hi welcome, sorry to hear about your problems, I'm lucky in having some of the best security around,- I live about 3/4 of a mile from the SAS Camp and as a result there's always ministry of defence police armed with guns patrolling the end of my road. Pikeys don't seem to keen to mess with them, lol.
When I wanted a lock set for my Astra van I kept an eye on eBay, the first went for silly money, but the second about a year later wasn't to bad a price, if you're not in a rush almost everything seems to turn up on there sooner or later. Also worth checking particularly the German eBay site, most dealers I've found have no issues with arranging carriage to the UK.