Hi!!

New to the club? Pop in and say hello!

Moderator: Robsey

Mutlow18

Hi!!

Post by Mutlow18 »

Hey everybody, just been looking through a lot of posts, very very helpful and knowledgeable info and people here, its great. Had my Cavalier turbo for nearly 10 years, done a nut and bolt restoration, its 98% complete, just got it together and have a snag list as always.. my may concern where I may need some help if possible..

When I turn the key to the crank position, it will continue to crank with key off/key out. UNLESS starter relay is pulled out, it will crank and stop as normal. Ignition switch & starter motor is good (also reflected in the way that it behaves normally when relay pulled). Have swapped relay for NEW GENUINE relay, same fault..

Mind boggler.. suspecting a missing or poor earth or missing relay of sorts, I'm struggling for info/wiring diagrams to start any diagnosis, has anyone has this issue before? I can't shed any light on it as I purchased the car as a non runner with a c20xe engine etc... and slowly restored it back to c20let, with locked 4x4 (thanks Mike Hayward) with a John Deere turbo (plus extras..) :)

Id like to share some photos but for some reason the "insert image" icon is grey and doesn't seem to work?

Sorry, I don't do social media, for those who do, you may see a similar post on a similar Cavalier forum from my brother on my behalf.. Cheers all!!!
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Hi!!

Post by Robsey »

Do you have a Cavalier Haynes manual.
The C20LET wiring diagram is in there.

Also there is a separate C20LET workshop manual.

They should be all you need.

As for the starter issue, it sounds like burnt contacts in the ignition switch.

As for photos, they are all hosted "off site" using Photobucket, Flikr, Postimages or similar.
You simply paste in the url links to your thread post.

If I can do it, then pretty much anyone else can.
Mutlow18

Post by Mutlow18 »

Thanks for the reply. Sorted now, black/red wire connection next to side box connected- now disconnected, and with relay back in, behaves as normal. Thanks all
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You have an email.

Good to see you got it sorted.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Haynes doesn't include the C20LET ecu section for some reason, it does cover the rest though.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

vexorg wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:01 am Haynes doesn't include the C20LET ecu section for some reason, it does cover the rest though.
As it happens, I was able to point towards a C20LET repair manual on pdf.

Yes the Haynes does not cover the Turbo or 4x4 side of things either.
Just the usual naturally aspirated 4 pot engines and run of the mill transmissions.