Quicker?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Cavalier342

Re: Quicker?

Post by Cavalier342 »

Very true Dan.

I love the Cavaliers because for £350, I get a practical economical (ish) automatic hatchback, longer than any pissy hatchback of nowadays, which means if I wanted to, I could easily make a bed for myself in the back, (done it before) and stretch out head to tow (I'm 6 ft), without sliding the front seats forward. And it got me to 120mph on the clock. And I enjoyed some off-roading. And I've owned it for 5 years and it's still going strong.

I'd like to see anyone do that in a piece of shit 106 or a fiesta or whatever.....
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Post by planetc »

Language Timothy!

Motabilty will change I think, it's just a matter of time. Too many people using it as a way around the cost of insurance these days. Motabilty have a hotline to report suspect usage.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

planetc wrote:Language Timothy!

Motabilty will change I think, it's just a matter of time. Too many people using it as a way around the cost of insurance these days. Motabilty have a hotline to report suspect usage.
Motabilty vehicles annoy me. Another benefit that has been completely abused
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Cavalier342 wrote:Cavalier Gsi - everyday practical saloon, with some grunt to it for the B roads... A sensibly sporty saloon. 106 gti - small chav bucket with a bigger engine and a crappy spoiler just for chavs. Small cars should have small engines, big cars should have big engines, end of.

I'm sure you'll find the Cavaliers are a practical everyday car, as that's exactly what they were designed to be. Am I wrong?
But your labelling a sporty model of a small hatchback a chav bucket, so by using that rationel, a sporty engined cavalier would also be a chav bucket, but your rose tinted specs are on again so there not a chav bucket because you like them so much.

I dont argue that a cavalier isnt a practical every day large car, ideal for large family's, stick a dog in the back and have a run out to the beach. I have a boot lad of crap and get my tools in it no problem, although a smaller car would be more efficient, ive moved an entire house with the cavalier.

But wouldnt a 106 be a practical every day car for a 70 year old woman who lives on her own? And if she so happens to have a gti, then surely thats irrelevant.

Its hard to compare a small hatch back to a larger saloon. The cars are set up and intended for an entirely different customer base.
"Redefining success since 1981"
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

A chavvy car to me is a car that has cheap mods that don't work visually and practically
terkin

Post by terkin »

gsi isn't practical,heavy on juice and the boot,well thats a non starter
jb1kenoby

Post by jb1kenoby »

I've personally owned a 205gti and a Saxo vtr and a fiesta xr2i (not for long as they where buy to sell cars)and each one was brilliant for putting a smile in your face as they all drove like go carts and practical for everyday around town

I have a Cav turbo which I suppose could be classed with the Gsi as Chavy as the looks aren't to much different but its not practical as a every day car compared to the others in many many ways
Born in Luton - Refined in Bournemouth
sribobby

Post by sribobby »

[quote="ashs_cav"]Whoch one would be quicker

Cavalier Sri 2.0 16v Ecotec or Peugeot 106 Gti 1.6 16v

Both have same ish horsepower -ish

surely the 106 wud run out of steam before the cav? wot about the gud torque in the ecotec also?
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Would of thought the torque from the 106 with the power to weight ratio would be decent also though
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

btcctroy wrote:A chavvy car to me is a car that has cheap mods that don't work visually and practically
The huge exhaust back box, tinted windows, stupid stickers and usually a motorsport(which is ford) sunvisor on anything but a ford, stupid free max power stickers on the doors, fake shark fin aeriel and huge alloy wheels that a tiger could run in yet little tiny 2 pence piece brake discs.
"Redefining success since 1981"
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Body kits, chrome bits, lexus lights , 7 inc back box and no system , aftermarket stickers like OZ that they dont even have...thats wat I think chavvy is
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

i dont think the 106gti is chavvy as long as its left alone and standard!

as for is it quick its going to have a good power to weight ratio compared to the cav

106 is well under a ton and 120hp,cav is 150hp but nearly 300kgs more

my wifes 206gti is slower than my cav v6 despite the favourable gearing and lighter weight so torque output is important to

if your car is heavy you need alot of torque or your going to be slow!
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

carlos_canter wrote:
btcctroy wrote:A chavvy car to me is a car that has cheap mods that don't work visually and practically
The huge exhaust back box, tinted windows, stupid stickers and usually a motorsport(which is ford) sunvisor on anything but a ford, stupid free max power stickers on the doors, fake shark fin aeriel and huge alloy wheels that a tiger could run in yet little tiny 2 pence piece brake discs.
1 loud tinny exhaust : check
2 tints : check
3 huge alloys : check

3 out 5 Im doing well
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Would of thought...the 106 gti undoubtedly quicker off start...but then Cav will catch up further throught the gears and then the gti will be out of puff..

Soon find out when my mates Red s1 Rallye 16v races my Ecotec :/ haha
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Yup, in complete agreement. 'M3' mirrors. Hahaha! Bodge jobs etc.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

carlos_canter wrote:
Well that's me then
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Well iv raced the 16v rallye...he has a system on his..mine standard...and acceleration he has just a little bit more...but then on his bumper to 90 then overtaking...
Ads

Post by Ads »

ashs_cav wrote:Body kits, chrome bits, lexus lights , 7 inc back box and no system , aftermarket stickers like OZ that they dont even have...thats wat I think chavvy is
chrome bits?, well that means my cav turbo is chavvy, well it might be chavvy in some peoples eyes, but its bloody dam quick, lol, Ads
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Chrome bits I.e halfords backboxs lol
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

I had a Cinquecento with a 1.2 16v engine in it... Was so much fun and stupidly fast on exceleration!!! Would out do 90% of the non turbos on here...

I just missed being in a Cav so much!!!
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

humbucker wrote:
Yup, in complete agreement. 'M3' mirrors. Hahaha! Bodge jobs etc.
Problem with m3 mirrors?
I really like mine...

Loud exhaust the size of a dustbin lid... Big fiberglass bumpers... Massive wing spoilers... Huge alloys... If they class that at as chavy... Then that's me...
But I'm far from a chav!!!! :)