MPG????

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

HAIRIBO

MPG????

Post by HAIRIBO »

Hey you lot I'm thinking of getting a cavalier for day to day use. Which one has the best MPG

1.8 petrol or 1.7 izuzu?
C30XE
Cavalier342

Re: MPG????

Post by Cavalier342 »

well i think it''ll definitely be the diesel plant. I'd really like one myself, it would make a lovely contrast to my current 1.8i automatic. As for the 1.8, well i think in healthy condition, they return around 33-34mpg round town. My auto can return 32 if i keep a light foot, but thats just down to the cold starts and the 4 gears. A manual will always get better economy :)
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

The toyota is gettin about 27mpg at the moment :-( I want something that gets about 40 lol
C30XE
Squig

Post by Squig »

diesel all the way... but it depends what you define as day to day. Motorways, b-roads or city driving? cos a diesel on a long ratio gearbox (comparatively speaking) would be awesome for motorway eco driving
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

before you decide, do some simple sums to work out how much a diesel one will actually cost to run. I would have bought a diesel for running around in, but remember diesel is about 10% ish more to buy unless you go chip fat/veggy oil route.

My 2.0XE powered cav with the 2.0 8V F16 wide ratio/tall diff gearbox is averaging 38-40mpg commuting a and b road fast routes and a bit into the towns. it falls off a bit on very spirited all out motorway/A road chases/140mph track days on private roads of course, but also rises to up to 45mpg on a gentleish throttle, but keeping up with everything, if not overtaking most things - longer run, all this with 175 hp/175lb/ft of slightly tweaked XE if you need the power, the superb 16V torque and a lightning through the gears overtaking ability.

ecotec ones don't seem to get the same economy as the 2.0 8v or the XE powered ones, and Ive never owned or driven or a smaller engined one than a 2.0, but the small engined ones can work out to be a bit of a slug. V6 ones can be a tad juicy, but obviously benefit from a leg stretch on a long run and sound awesome.

So, to sum up, for almost the same running costs, you could have a much poker cav with twice the power and punch of a diesel one.

If you need convincing, I'd be happy to take you out in mine for a demo. it's so well suited to fast A roads you can almost hear it asking to be spanked a bit harder all the time!

anyways, just my 2p worth, I wouldn't have anything else for the money you can get them/run them for.
v6sri

Post by v6sri »

my seh was seein an average of about 35 witch was great after gettin 25 outa my ecotec veccy estate
1.4 l
1.8 gls hatch & x2 saloon
2.0 cdi pre face lift
2.0 dippy pre face lift & 2 face lift
2.0 gls 16v
1.7 TD gls
2.0 sri 130 seh x2
2.0 sri 115 ne saloon
2.5 v6 auto hatch
2.5 v6 cesero
A-J

Post by A-J »

me-1.8spi in good running order, 60,000 miles from new, average vetween 30-35mpg depending how many motorway trips i make.

my old man-1.7isuzu diesel, good running order with 180,000 miles from new, travels from middle of cheshire to birmingham 5 days a week, averages between 50-60 mpg depending how easy he takes it.

as much as it pains me to say it, diesel wins on the eco front!
Theres a fine line between stupid and visionary. You just have to be a visionary to see it.
cav cdx

Post by cav cdx »

alright ther m8,

diesel aint wot it use to b in my eyes, my 2l 16v ecotec seems to b gr8 on fuel, i get 130 odd miles to £20 which in my eyes aint bad, ive had diesels that have only done this and the power diference is stupid, with these you have the power ther wen u need it.

my old cav 2l 8v gls seemd to be stupid on fuel cost me a fortune, but ther was a few engine mods ie cams n decat,

with the fuel costs at the mo id go 4 a petrol as its cheaper than diesel
CAVS RULE
Squig

Post by Squig »

A-J wrote:me-1.8spi in good running order, 60,000 miles from new, average vetween 30-35mpg depending how many motorway trips i make.

my old man-1.7isuzu diesel, good running order with 180,000 miles from new, travels from middle of cheshire to birmingham 5 days a week, averages between 50-60 mpg depending how easy he takes it.

as much as it pains me to say it, diesel wins on the eco front!
on that basis the (not quite) standard v6 is the equal of the 1.8... I got 35.4mpg on a 134 mile round trip some b-road driving (not too spirited) and a chunk of motorway (spirited)...
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome