Heater Box

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

carlos_canter

Heater Box

Post by carlos_canter »

Finally got round to replacing heater controls on my cav.

The cable for footwells and vents was kinked, hence it wouldnt hold position correctly so now i have warm feet, on the down side, the cable for the screen vents had to be removed. Where it clips to the assembly under the dash it had broken off, I tried to glue it but didnt work so i binned it and now have a make shift adjuster running into the glove box!

I dont think it would warrant changing the full lot just yet, I cant see the point of doing that for one clip, although ive noticed the footwells are damp, which could be the heater matrix. But the car has never lost a drop of water yet, but if it does go, then the whole lot would have to come out any way and then id change the heater box.

I may even just get another cable and fit it, the origional cable would of never have been held correctly any way and it did work ok.

Seems to be the rough with the smooth recently.
"Redefining success since 1981"
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Heater Box

Post by humbucker »

footwells may be blocked scuttle drain?
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Good thinking!

im on my nights off now so will check soon ish, im not swimming in the car, its just noticable when the floor mats go back.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

it will rot through the floor though if you leave it :(
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Gonna raid the workshop for some welding wire and have a poke.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

get a caravan dehumidifier in there too. i just picked one up to chuck into the back of my cav over the winter. cheap as chips and they can't do any harm:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0425580527
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

The saga continues...

Went up to blackpool yesterday for a wander round and to pick up some models for a colleague, heaters stopped working again, so was bloody freezing unless we were moving, temp gauge went up to half way(twice) but until then has been sat just above the blue, possibly down to the thermostat.

Raided the scrap yard today, got the heater cable and 2 resistors for the fan motor so thats sorted for now, also noticed while we stopped for grub, that the footwells are dry, or at least a hell of a lot drier. Before you could see the water coming off the mats when you folded them up, now they just feel a little damp in one or 2 places.

Im pretty certain that its more than likely down to condensation more than anything else, ive been driving around for a couple of week with no heater at all, and the car steams up really quick. So all that moisture has to go some where and its not just going to be on the windows, i imagione it will be behind the dash and trim panels aswell.

Will see how it pans out for the time being, but hopefully it will of cured it self.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

i would still double check that scuttle drain and stick a dehumidifier in there if i were you. for 2 quid (inc delivery) what have you got to lose?!
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Will have a poke around tomorrow at work and see what is what, could get a dehumidifier and stick one behind centre consol and one in the spare wheel well, your right, ive got sod all to lose.
k1ngy

Post by k1ngy »

ilovemyelite wrote:get a caravan dehumidifier in there too. i just picked one up to chuck into the back of my cav over the winter. cheap as chips and they can't do any harm:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0425580527
nice lnk, iv been looking for one of these for ages never thought of ebay
loving cavaliers since 1978