v6 economy

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

mr v6

v6 economy

Post by mr v6 »

just wondered what other v6 owners are geting mpg,know its not the most economical engine but would help to see whats the norm or not.£20/14 litres barely makes 100 miles with a mixture of town and main road and the occasional bootfull.to much boot and im lucky to make 70 miles.does this fit in with other v6 owners experience.think it works out 25mpg at mo :)
TurboDan

Re: v6 economy

Post by TurboDan »

That sounds about right actually. If petrol prices weren't so bad you'd be going allot further!

My Turbo does about the same.

Squig has a V6 with an F28 and according to him he can do about 95mpg! :lol:
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

cheers thanks.as soon as i can find a nice f28 im fitting.when your not in a rush it seems like your having to work it harder to fight the tall gearing especially when you change gear from second to third and the revs drop right off when you want it straight back on the ball again.the taller 6th would nice for cruising to
Squig

Post by Squig »

TurboDan wrote:That sounds about right actually. If petrol prices weren't so bad you'd be going allot further!

My Turbo does about the same.

Squig has a V6 with an F28 and according to him he can do about 95mpg! :lol:
don't be daft... it's at least 40,000mpg

25 is abouright for standard round town
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

depends on how you drive it really, i mean, the v6 is a juicy lump, no question, but if you use it for driving around town then you're never going to return decent mileage. a thorough service and clean breathers will help though.
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

i drive like a grandad most of the time and found i can squeeze 30mpg round town if i keep the revs right down between 1100 and 2000 and excelerate sedatly,its amazing how much this anoys the audi reps rushing home from work and young girls in KA,S and whats with smart car owners they drive like there go karting with there mates on a saturday night!.on a run sticking to 75 tops its nearly 40mpg :thumb could do with a top end over haul and down pipes on its last legs at flexy joint so theres room for improvement
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

my old v6 cavalier did 400-440 to 70-80 pounds stting at 70 on motorway back roads 60mph
Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

i haven't got a v6 but i'm guessin its like any engine eg.. give it stick = use plenty fuel

my xe is better on fuel than the 1.8 whether i'm driving like a grandad or at warpfactor 10 lol

but when i drive like a grandad all the time around town i can get 39.8mpg
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

yep you can get good economy from any engine if you have the patience to tame your right foot,problem is it goes t*ts up as soon as i over take a couple of cars second gear it of roundabouts :tdown but if i was that worried id get a diesel!dont do enough mileage to stress about it.have heard redtop xe engined cavs are good on fuel.my 1.8i was not much better than my v6 which was annoying given no power to match
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

That's what I love about my 1.6, I get at least 45 mpg out of it without even trying to be economical and that's on a journey form Robertsbridge to Canterbury and back. If anyone here has ever done that before they will know it's a very difficult journey to do economically; lots of 30mph zones and tight corners and fast short straights.

If I were to do a motorway economy run I have no doubt I would get up to the low 50s mpg wise.

And as long as I don't carry any passengers it's pretty quick too. (Weight really does kill the performance of the 1.6)
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

James, i am with you on this one :thumb
" LS was MORE!! "
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

was a big fan of 1.8i ls i had before i brought my v6 i used it for gardening and always had to much in the boot,it wasnt great on fuel for a 1.8 but a fare bit better than my v6,couldnt ask for a more reliable car,would miss the power if i went back now tho