Speed Limit To increase from 70 to 80

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Gaz

Re: Speed Limit To increase from 70 to 80

Post by Gaz »

Kevwaggy wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:I've had coaches overtake me at 70 before.
I used to be a courier and I will never forget being on the M18 about midnight on the way back from London when a Scania bullnose with an empty flatbed trailer casually sailed past my van...

I thought my speedo was broke cos it said I was doing 80!

Ive heard stories of wagon tow trucks doing 100+ with a truck on the back.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

like goliath from knight rider

Link
Kevwaggy

Post by Kevwaggy »

Such amazing special effects :shock:
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

carlos_canter wrote:If I drove a coach, Id pull over or half my speed and rake in the overtime.
Bus and coach drivers are limited to the amount of hours at the wheel, hence the use of tachos and rostering.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

To be honest, people will just do 90!! ;)

3 reasons why i'm sensible...

1) fuel economy

2) i have a cav 1.6...

3) i have just been on speed awareness course!!!! :lol:
" LS was MORE!! "
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

I thought they were doing this to increase fuel consumption by motorists, therefore more money spent on fuel, therefore more tax money going back into the govmint. Either way I welcome the increase.

1) Bad drivers will always drive too fast or passed their ability
2) BMW drivers will still drive like BMW drivers
3) Cars many moons ago had poor brakes and safety yet could do 70mph while modern cars have better breaking, better safety, tyre technology is better therefore it's just updating the limit to what it really should be.

This means though that the 10% + 2 rule for speed traps (if it is true) would suggest that 90mph you can get away with whereas now it's currently 79mph.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fuel economy has nothing to do with it, unless you have a 7 speed box. Let's assume most cars on the road are 5 speed, therefore, 56-60mph is the most economical cruise speed. I usually cruise 60-65 ONLY to save fuel, with these prices you cannot blame me. But to be honest, speed limits are only limits, doesn't stop anyone from doing 120+
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Super89

Post by Super89 »

'The new policy is part of a determined bid to shift the government on to the side of the motorists'

:ass
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

The day they cut fuel duty, that's when the government WILL have the day to day motorists on their side. Fact.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Post by planetc »

Nova_Tek wrote: This means though that the 10% + 2 rule for speed traps (if it is true) would suggest that 90mph you can get away with whereas now it's currently 79mph.
Met copper told me that's the policy they run by a few years back, so it would certainly be true for the London area.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Cavalier342 wrote:Fuel economy has nothing to do with it, unless you have a 7 speed box. Let's assume most cars on the road are 5 speed, therefore, 56-60mph is the most economical cruise speed. I usually cruise 60-65 ONLY to save fuel, with these prices you cannot blame me. But to be honest, speed limits are only limits, doesn't stop anyone from doing 120+
I said to increase consumption not increase mpg. Go faster, use more fuel, fuel finishes quicker, fill up more regularly, spend more money doing so, more tax money going back.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Sorry, misread it. Either way though, it won't make much difference.
Previous:

Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Not to us as individuals but when you think how many cars use the motorway per day and that extra little increase times many 100's of thousands will mean a fair increase.

Meh, all I can say is it's about time it got an increase.
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

seems wierd when spain has cut there speed limits to save fuel this also the reason speed limits in the states where set at 55 to reduce fuel during the seventys oil crisis.would be handy to be able to do 80 legaly but tend to keep at 70 on a run as cant do 430 miles to a tank other wise!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

there is, of course, the concern about the roads that have been designed specifically with the national speed limit in mind; i guess that even though most motorways will open up to 80 there is every possibility that many roads will now be 'limited' to 70, thus creating confusion and generating more revenue for the speed camera wielders.
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

If sure most roads can cope with 80mph, I mean if you sit one a motorway doing 70mph you'll most likely be the slowest there :lol:
Squig

Post by Squig »

humbucker wrote:there is, of course, the concern about the roads that have been designed specifically with the national speed limit in mind; i guess that even though most motorways will open up to 80 there is every possibility that many roads will now be 'limited' to 70, thus creating confusion and generating more revenue for the speed camera wielders.
Well lets face it, if motorways can cope with god knows how many tonnes worth of freight hauling lorries at 60 (or whatever they are limited to) it can take 2 tonnes doing 10 mph more.
If they do limit a large number of motorways to 70 after announcing the 80 change they will effectively kick themselves out of governance next time they can be voted out, simply because they will have exposed themselves as the frauds we all suspect them to be anyway.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

Funnily enough this was brought up in my speed awareness course and a real valid point raised..

Over in Germany etc on the autobahn, they limit the road when the weather is bad and YOU have to obey that which I think is great because that will be the problem here.. You will now have someone up your ass in rain/fog at 90 - 100 mph now with their foglights on!!

:tdown
" LS was MORE!! "