New MOT changes for 2012

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Squig

New MOT changes for 2012

Post by Squig »

check the link... it's definitely worth reading people

Click here...

There is also discussion about failing "chipped" vehicles...
I just found this;
Lifted from another foum

There are to be some changes to the MOT test from 1st January 2012 which are being introduced in response to European Commission Directive 2010/48/EU of the 5th July 2010 and which will effect those with aftermarket HID headlights and remapped ECUs:

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements:
(a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements
(b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour
(c) Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory):
(a) Device not operating.
(b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory):
Device not operating.

For anyone with a remap, section 6.1.9 may be relevant.

6.1.9 Engine performance:
(a) Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.

(by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

There will also be a new check on the general condition of the wiring:

4.11. Electrical wiring
(a) Wiring insecure or not adequately secured.
(b) Wiring deteriorated.
(c) Damaged or deteriorated insulation

and on the function of airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner systems:

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners:
Pre-tensioner obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

7.1.5. Airbag:
(a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.
(b) Airbag obviously non-operative.

7.1.6. SRS Systems:
SRS MIL indicates any kind of failure of the system.

Some of the above won't be popular with some around here I know, but VOSA have confirmed that the necessary changes to the MOT test schedule will be introduced and from 1st January 2012 vehicles that fall foul of the new requirements will fail the test.

I think the biggest change is that they will now be able to detect re-maps and car will fail the MOT if this is the case.

I assume that this has been brought in because a lot of people who re-map their cars don't inform their insurance company
on avforums.com
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Squig

Re: New MOT changes for 2012

Post by Squig »

I assume if you did remap the vehicle and could demonstrate correct insurance (i.e it's been declared...) they couldn't fail you for illegal ecu modification.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

the goverment dont even want us to drive never mind old modified cars!be interesting to see what effect this has on the price of a MOT!
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Thing is allot of "Remaps" actually make the car more efficent and so it shouldn't really be an issue. And i really doubt this is going to effect all cars. It can't do, its impossible for all garages to check every single car for a remap.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm concerned about the cat converter bit. Does that mean that my auto will instantly fail, because I've had the cat removed, but it's a 92 model, or will the pre-93 model law still exist? :?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Martin_TD

Post by Martin_TD »

Don't care, asking as wee "dodgy jimmy" down the street from me is here I'm fine :)
Cavalier 1.7TD CDX and Cavalier 1.7TD LS
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

I agree on the wiring bit, cause some of wiring in some of cars I have worked on is F"£king scary, but most people go plug in a play
or have more than one map on the ecu or have a switch for oem settings The bit I don.t get is illegal mods what is
that about
Can,t see superchips been happy about this unless they have hand in this, so the are only one can do it :scratch
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

at what point does a modification become illegal? non oe, non e marked, its all too vague
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

hidden machine guns maybe :D I don't mind HID kits but half the looneys on the roads don't adjust them properly :wall
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Gaz wrote:at what point does a modification become illegal? non oe, non e marked, its all too vague
yes i can't see how they can say a modification is illegal. there's a lot of classics that run modern engines, surely these will be deemed illegal.

its probably vehicles after a certain date of manufacture that will be affected
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

It takes the piss

How are they going to know if an engine has been re-mapped or not??? An like dan has already said re-mapping makes most cars more efficient an cleaner :scratch

Airbag thing fair enough its there for a reason at the end of the day

The hid's if they are fitted and adjusted properly then what's the problem?

I also agree on the wiring as if done wrong it can be very dangerous but are they going to take the seats and dash out??? I might sound a bit ridiculous but imo I have a fair point well made!

This is going a bit far an I've heard there's been talks about changing to european rules an regulations which I think is just total shite!! Why shouldn't we be allowed to enjoy our cars weather it be a rare classic or modern day motor we hard for our money and should not be denied the right to be a car enthusiast so long as the car is safe and legal and when I say legal I mean tax/insurance/mot and not dangerous to yourself or others!

And breathe :roll: :roll:
[center]Image
[/center]
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Well put jimmy. That's pretty much what we're all thinking I bet. Thing is the government wants more money from everyone day by day so.... I completely agree on the most essential things like airbag sensor failures and that, they are there for safety reasons. But things like re-mapping ECU's, I mean that's just petty. let's be honest, if you're gonna throw in a V8 in the front, you're only after stupid power readings. If you're upgrading/mapping the ECU, you're not changing the engine, therefore just making it more efficient. :scratch
Previous:

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The end of the day the mot is only as good as the tester........
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Very true, have to agree with that. It's not like every single test center is co-ordinated instantaneously by the same controller...
Previous:

Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

on the bright side lads in a few years the mot tester will have to do a bare metal strip and rebuild for a mot to comply with VOSA rules. :D :D

as for HID's these rules are stupid, if the beam is good and set up properly, whats the problem?? they give off better light and make it easier to see
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Peanut_119 wrote:on the bright side lads in a few years the mot tester will have to do a bare metal strip and rebuild for a mot to comply with VOSA rules. :D :D

:lol: In that case I'd buy 5 Cavs and MOT them at the same time :D Let's see if they even bother :lol: Ok fair enough, you've got 5 of these classics, you can have a green sheet for all of them... :D
Previous:

mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

how much power your engine pruduces is between you and your insurance company is has nothing to with the goverment,as long as emissions are ok
thats all that matters
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Think time will tell on this new mot, its going to be a case of waiting for the first people to take their cars for the test and see what feedback they give. I think it will see an increase in appeals and dodgy garages seeing it as a chance to make a quick buck however. I think there may be some confusion at the start but i guess we will all get used to it like we have the other changes!

I think it may mean sadly that more cars are scrapped but then thats what the govenment wants! Grrrrrrrrrr!

Sent via taptalk on android
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

it does seem are freedom to do what we want and drive what we want is slowly being taken from us,people who drive cars more than ten years old are a minority so its not a big deal to them!they get enough money from fuel duty and tax,thats enough dont you think
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That's exactly my point.
Previous:

vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Just heard that the new items will be advisories until the end of March and then from the 1st April they will be failures so that buys some people some time.

Looking at the list, most of its safety stuff that should be correct on car of any age tbh so i dont think as bad as its being made out.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

just a couple of questions:

1. regarding - 4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory):
(a) Device not operating.
(b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.
Does this mean if they have level adjuster (manual one) on the light then they are still legal??

2. regarding - 4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory):
Device not operating.
and does a cloth/rag class a cleaning device??

as my point is, if they are level then electric levelers arnt needed as i have manual ones.. and why do i need headlight cleaners when a cloth/rag and a good wash will do a better job.

can some clear this up for me please :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I was aware of a wiring thing, whereby any unidentified wiring colud be considered a failure point...

I assume that this is to get shut of vehicles with dodgey add-on / modification wiring.
That is why I completely reloomed my electronic speedo transducer loom from the box to the instrument head.

Regarding advisories and failures... this is where it gets interesting.

My garage informed me at my recent MOT, that ALL advisories will become FAILURE points.
Also it is said that the VOSA will operate a 4 2 2 system

Something on the lines of-
Vehicles wont't be tested until they are 4 years old. (Not at 3 years old as at present)

Then ALL vehicles will be tested every 2 years (not every year as at present)

and any suspect items will be classed as FAIL, so that all passable items should hopefully remain roadworthy for the two years until the next test.

He also hates the new style MOT white printed A4 sheet.
He much prefers the green, orange and red sheets, as it makes it easier for the examiner and vehicle owner to verify any details upon the relevant sheets.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm pretty sure that:

1. If your car is fitted with an electric headlight level adjuster ( LS models onwards) it must work. If not, not to worry.

2. If your car is fitted with headlamp wiper/washers ( CDX, GL, Diplomat, etc) they must work.

The one reason that I sympathize with is snow, you cannot clear snow off the headlights without the wipers unless you stop every few mins and clear them by hand which may be dangerous (traffic) Other than that, if you don't have the wiper/washers installed, don't worry. If it's not fitted, it can't be failed.
Previous:

Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

mine being a LS had electric headlights but they are now manual... but the dash leveler has been removed, so mine will fail next year then