Stuff we've seen on the road

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

Re: Stuff we've seen on the road

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Barmouth looks nice and quiet. It's good to get out occasionally.

Good car find, I doubt we'll ever have a game of snap with that one :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Barmouth looks nice and quiet. It's good to get out occasionally.

Good car find, I doubt we'll ever have a game of snap with that one :lol:
It was the busiest that I have seen the "village by the sea" in the 25 years that I have been going there.

If you want somewhere with very little to do, with very few shops, and that has not really caught up with the rest of the world... Barmouth makes a great escape.

If you want lots of facilities and buzzing night life, then just keep going.
No point in stopping there.

As for car finds.. there were a few on the trek down...

A few Golf mk2's,
A Viva HA

and whilst in the village, we saw a grey T25 transporter, with a bubble caravan grafted on the back.
Reminded me of my old ABI Ace Globetrotter from 1976.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

It sounds perfect :…. The kind of place I'd like to fish :love

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Saw this lovey looking MK1 Astra estate in Hereford this morning. Apart from a bit of MIS matchedImage paint on the rear quarter it was nearly immaculate.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Wow now that is a rare sight.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Haven't seen one for years, the curious thing it had FAB512X etched into the rear windows and lights( couldn't see the other windows up close in the traffic). That number comes back unrecognised, had a zibart sticker, on the rear screen aswell, which might explain its survival.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It has probably had rear end repairs, so the tailgate and lights may have come from the same donor car.

It is highly likely that if the donor car was dismantled 'correctly' then it would have been issued with a certificate of destruction.
Once this is issued, the car is removed from the DVLA / .gov website.

My 1987 Cavalier mk2 "D924OAX" does not exist as it was scrapped properly in about 2007. (I have the certificate of destruction in a draw somewhere).
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

It's always a wow moment for me when I see something unusual or rare, especially if I manage to catch it on the dashcam :love

coincidence?

After being carless for weeks I picked it up and my first journey was to my mums next day to bring her shopping, the one visit I've made in months :|
If it wasn't for mundane car in front of me turning off I would never have seen this in the distance to catch up to - a 1978 Corvette.

The snaps don't do it justice, they're a bit darker than the original (probably my faulty cropping :roll: )

Mot checker shows three clean mot's. I'm surprised the car hasn't been mot'd anyway. I would!
surely not having that would affect insurance?

it looked immaculate, as it should I suppose based on the mileage. Weekly shopping trip perhaps :lol:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:It's always a wow moment for me when I see something unusual or rare, especially if I manage to catch it on the dashcam :love

coincidence?

After being carless for weeks I picked it up and my first journey was to my mums next day to bring her shopping, the one visit I've made in months :|
If it wasn't for mundane car in front of me turning off I would never have seen this in the distance to catch up to - a 1978 Corvette.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

The snaps don't do it justice, they're a bit darker than the original (probably my faulty cropping :roll: )

Mot checker shows three clean mot's. I'm surprised the car hasn't been mot'd anyway. I would!
surely not having that would affect insurance?

it looked immaculate, as it should I suppose based on the mileage. Weekly shopping trip perhaps :lol:
I'm no fan of the 40 year mot exemption, I know of several people who run their old cars with no maintenance whatsoever.
Even newer cars can get into a hell of a state before the mot expires. My wife's car for instance is about 5 months off its mot but when I drove it the other day, it felt really bad, when I looked underneath the rubbers in the front wishbones had deteriated to the point they were practically hanging off.
Without at least a yearly check how many people will be driving ticking timebombs, and sadly end up with fatalities. If the government wants to encourage older cars ( which I'm beginning to doubt) then surely a discounted test that takes into account the items older ones can't meet yet still be safe would be better?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Oh man, great snap, I love C3 Corvettes. Best body shape they've ever made for that model. Awesome.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Seen these both in Paisley, the 740 was sitting down at the part worn tyre place

Mind not that long ago fiestas were 10 a penny!
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

3cav3 wrote:I'm no fan of the 40 year mot exemption, I know of several people who run their old cars with no maintenance whatsoever...

….Without at least a yearly check how many people will be driving ticking timebombs, and sadly end up with fatalities. If the government wants to encourage older cars ( which I'm beginning to doubt) then surely a discounted test that takes into account the items older ones can't meet yet still be safe would be better?
That's a good idea.
Compulsory but free would be ideal, I'm sure the cars have paid enough in taxes over the years to cover the cost :scratch
cavalier1990 wrote:Seen these both in Paisley, the 740 was sitting down at the part worn tyre place

[ Image ]

Mind not that long ago fiestas were 10 a penny!
[ Image ]
Haven't seen a 740 for a while. I forgot how big and solid they looked, I wouldn't want to get in a bump with one of them!

The fiesta, what can I say?
Good spot.
I'm not a big fan of tints or/on fiestas, they conjure up shell-suits and burberry caps :lol: .
Apart from that I'm a bit colour-blind and the reds and ambers don't look much different from each other behind the tint, it's probably just me but tints only look good on black cars?

speaking of... dull black bonnets on shiny white cars. What the h*ll's that about? Fashion :scratch
Cavalier342 wrote:Oh man, great snap, I love C3 Corvettes. Best body shape they've ever made for that model. Awesome.
I've never seen one on the road. Just beautiful :love

I was a 17 year old welding apprentice when this car was born, there's nothing like nostalgia to make you feel old :o :lol:

matt

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I came out of a supermarket in Leith and found this parked next to mine, looked mint

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm - Mercedes 190E.

Luckily it is from the period before this model range was hit with dodgey sub-frame premature corrosion issues -
that knocked Mercedes' build quality reputation for quite some time in the mid / late nineties.

Looks a very nice example for a 1987 / 88 vehicle. :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

In one of the supposedly nice parts of Manchester, I passed this...

Not your average runabout :lol:

6.5 litre, 15 tonne, 1952 armoured personnel carrier.
From what I can tell, MOT and tax exempt.
Registered in 1995.

Just parked on a street corner.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Ideal for mums on the school run once they are reopened.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

3cav3 wrote:Ideal for mums on the school run once they are reopened.
Who needs a "Chelsea Tractor" when you can have a "Chelsea Tank" ?
:shock: :shock:
Robsey wrote:In one of the supposedly nice parts of Manchester, I passed this
I didn't just "pass" the carrier...
my colleague saw it down a side street, so I turned the van round to get a better look.

I felt like one of those nerdy train spotters stopping to take a picture, but I am sure it was worth it for the novelty value.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Someone had too many beers the night before and decided to go for a joy ride in it, and probably ran out of gas or got bored and dumped it.
Previous:

Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Can you imagine being held up in a queue of traffic with that ticking over in your rear mirror!

Alan
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Cyclists beware lol
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:

I'm sure French and Saunders did a sketch along these lines years ago.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:
Robsey wrote:In one of the supposedly nice parts of Manchester, I passed this
I didn't just "pass" the carrier...
my colleague saw it down a side street, so I turned the van round to get a better look.

I felt like one of those nerdy train spotters stopping to take a picture, but I am sure it was worth it for the novelty value.
I feel a bit nerdy taking pics for this thread too but that's exactly what it's about, photographing the unusual in a world of blandness. I guess I'm a nerd :lol:

- Who needs a "Chelsea Tractor" when you can have a "Chelsea Tank" ?

"Chelsea Tractor's" are symbolical of London, surely this should be a "Manc Tank" :scratch :lol:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sadly, you don't need to be in London to be faced with roads blocked up with mums in fluffy dressing gowns dropping off their little darlings in their big 4x4s.

Manc Tank...
Yeah, that works for me. :lol:
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Used to be someone I went to school with who's dad owned something very similar to that.
Never really understood the appeal. I mean you can't really take it anywhere that you can't take a Land Rover, it must be rather thirsty on fuel and You'd never find a parking space around town! :lol:

A real tank maybe, I could get behind that...

On another note, I saw one of my favourite ever cars on the A21 at Hurst green last week, a Jaguar XJ220.
No time to get a photo unfortunately as I was trying to navigate a busy T junction.
Awesome to see one in the flesh though.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Never seen an XJ220 on the road, but I have got one in the loft!
The models were being given away attached to a gallon of GTX oil I think - it's still sealed in its box.

Alan