Stuff we've seen on the road

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

Re: Stuff we've seen on the road

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:07 pm Did they do what looks like a Triumph Stag in 1993?

I am sure they were made between 70 and 78.
Although I may have the wrong model.

Other than the TR7, Triumph didn't really venture much into the 80s on the car front...
Obviously they still knock out loads of motorcycles.
vexorg wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:16 pm I'd guess a typo and a '73 stag
You're both correct, '73 stag :oops:
Where did the edit button go :scratch
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Mk3alan wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:14 am Nice images! My dashcam died last year and I replaced it with a Garmin something or other but your right they see things you wouldn't normally. We live near a cemetery and quite often see a horse drawn hearse.

Alan
I wonder if they're exempt from picking up. I don't see a bucket anywhere, like you see in Blackpool :scratch

My first proper, rather than improvised camera was a chinese item boasting full hd, turns out it was 720p. That was 9 years ago.
I used it for a year but the quality was awful. - Couldn't read a number plate unless it was 10ft directly in front, every traffic light strobed, not ideal.

After a couple of adequate 1080p chinese cams I'm now using a nextbase.
They advise formatting every two weeks. I haven't done mine for about two months and I noticed when looking for something this time that there was around 40 minutes missing :o . Lesson learned!
I bought a road angel cam for the rear, hoping it's lower profile would allow me to leave it permanently fitted. I don't know when it will get done, I'm just not loving the cav at present :cry:

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks Rob, sorry - Admin :thumb

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Nothing to apologise for.
I believe all horses and donkeys are exempt from 'pick up' laws.
Something to do with their waste being less harmful than whatever environmental guidance value is in place.
As far as I can tell, it is primarily dogs where fouling laws are imposed.
And not surprising as there are still many owners who do not pick up...
Or they do pick up, but then throw the whole poo bag back on to the floor. The mind boggles.

Our moose only poos in our back yard - much more socially acceptable.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I dont see why it's acceptable for horses.
Same goes for cats, especially when it's not their garden
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure it probably dates back to horse-drawn vehicles.

Besides - some peolple still use horse manure for their gardens - so probably plenty of folk who would merrily scoop up a fresh free sample. (Maybe an older generation thing).
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I found this article interesting https://nofrakkingconsensus.com/2011/03 ... e-problem/

it seems a swap to internal combustion engines averted major pollution problems in cities so there was no need for a law?
Now that enforced EV's are the new ICE's I suppose it's too much to ask that older cars should be afforded a similar exemption in the future (probably not mine :lol: ).
As it is the classic ved exemption needs updated. When the ruling was brought in cars lasted longer and weren't under threat of extinction as they are now. We're regressing to a scenario where only the rich can afford to drive :cry:

Random thoughts over, back to the pics........

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

.......Worst first, a 98 lexus? totally photobombed by the street furniture, I just couldn't get a clean pic :roll:

98 Vw caravelle and a transit

95 jaguar xj

88 volvo 700, there seems to be a lot of old volvo estates...

How many left suggests there are only four maestros on the road. I wonder how many are vans?

The van's tatty with squint lettering, I don't think i would persuaded to use their services!

Now my favourite, a blast from the past when i was on two wheels :love
1980 Honda CB250RS

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure there are far more than four Maestros on the road. The Maestro and Montego community are still a thriving bunch of enthusiasts.
I think what makes tallying up numbers tricky is that both models fall under multiple manufacturers - Austin, MG, Rover and Vanden Plas. And if you are being really pedantic - BMW owned Rover and later Tata in China where the van continued in production for several years.

There is definitely a modestly tidy example of a 40 year old van near me... I saw it last about a month ago.

Nice to see an early Transit. The plastic bumpers puzzled me as I thought it would be too old for plastic bumpers - not a practical option on a mass production van. Albeit a crew-bus conversion or pukka camper van.

That side door looks 'fake' - I can see the handles and hinges, but not the seam on the rear of the door aperture - lol. It will be the pixel quality at that range / level of zoom.

Going back a long way - the CB250S...
Wasn't that the "wet" version of the Honda Dream? :p
(Honda Wet Dream as they used to call them in this neck of the woods...)
Or was that the CN....

I know next to nothing about motorcycles apart from the wife's CB500S and my poorly departed MZ ETZ Luxus 125.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Wet Dreams up here too :lol:
I rode a borrowed 400 Dream occasionally, nice ride.
I have many varied memories of my limited years on two wheels armed only with a provisional license :o . Sadly I can't say more, I don't want to incriminate myself :no . Looking back, my life wasn't as boring as I thought!
this was the pre-tech era and life was more relaxed, if you made a mistake (we all do) and got away with it then all good. Now you get fined if nothing happened, nobody complained and the only witness is a £amera.

It took until my mid 20's before I had the opportunity to get legal and on four wheels, all thanks to a government scheme :D .
The early years were a bit sketchy but legal for years now, conforming at last :|
I think starting on two wheels has made me a better car driver, you have to be more aware of possible hazards when that vulnerable.
I drive with the windows cracked open and radio at lowest volume I can hear, in town the radio's on one, i like to hear what's going on around me.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure many of us have made a few poor decisions, either through naivity or pig-headed youth attitude.
(Even I was young once - hard to believe, I know). :lol

Just by chance, I saw a standard CB125 on the way home tonight...
That and a broken-down E-Type Jaguar on the hard shoulder of the anti-clockwise M60 just past Stockport.

I will have to see if I can remember to pull off the pictures before they get over-written by my dash-cam.
UPDATE - Just checked the footage, the resolution is too low to get anything worth posting up.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Pity about the dashcam, it's getting lonely here. lol

To start, a 98 polo in need of some love

98 merc c

00 land rover discovery

As expected in sunny weather, topless.
Don't type that into a search engine though :lol:

98 mgf

99 saab

99 audi

Last but not least, an odd one unless mot checker's having a meltdown .

A tax exempt 1971 e-type first registered in 1999, only mot in 2018?

I assume he's on his way to an mot station🤔

It's the first time I've noticed the size of the front indicators, they look huge!

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

This is my understanding, so apologies if I am talking baubles ..
If it is 40 years old (before January 1982) or more, then it is tax and MOT exempt.
The only safeguard is that it is the driver's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is safe to use on the road.

Same with the MOT history.
It gets weird where a car has been SORNed for a lengthy period - it's date of first test will be the first one carried out upon returning the vehicle to the road after being laid up, not 3 years after date of first registration.

As such, on 1st January next year, I would potentially be able to put our van on the road - despite being a bag of nails* / rust box* / colander* (delete if appropriate).
It would no longer officially require test or tax...and would be CAZ exempt in a lot of places too.

For info - if you can prove date of manufacture rather than date of first registration, then you can get the tax and MOT exemption a little earlier.

In my van's case.
Date of Manufacture - 3rd November 1982 - therefore exempt 1st January 2023.
Date of First Registration - 1st April 1983 - therefore exempt 1st January 2024.

I would have to pay VW approx. £180 for a birth certificate for the van to prove date of manufacture.
If I wished / was able to get the van road legal / safe before January 2023.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I was just about to set off from one of my home visits in "the twilight zone" of Blackley in north Manchester when this woman crossed the road in front of me. :shock:

So to keep in with the thread title - this is what I saw on the road. Obviously, just like the proverbial chicken, she had "reached the other side" by the time I got the camera going. :scratch

Totally befuddled me for a minute.

Just waiting for the one liners...
"It is Twiggy back out on tour"
"She must be branching out"
"I didn't 'tree' that coming"...

Now pause for the tumbleweed of not being funny.
:roll:

This has been a random afternoon so far.
Just watched the patient that I was visiting being put into her adapted car, then watch her not so sharp husband fit the tie-downs, but not ratchet them down, and then fit the vehicle seat-belt with the lap strap part 'behind' the wheelchair.

Yes, I queried this with him, but he was convinced it was correct as he had always done it that way. :no

Hmm - time to get out of Dodge before any weirdness takes effect.... :wave
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I forgot about the mot exemption, i'm getting old lol.

It looks like your steering will be an acceptable 'substantial change' for exemption.
With fine- free driving in CAZ's, who knows, it might become your daily driver :)

I've recently re-evaluated my strict interpretation of "stuff we've seen on the road" to stuff we've seen from the car while on the road. I think that's allowed :scratch :)
I almost discounted Twiggy until I looked at her shadow, twilight zone indeed!

Sadly you can't teach common sense or joined up thinking, some people are always right, regardless of the logic :(

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

ilovedmymantas wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:21 am
I've recently re-evaluated my strict interpretation of "stuff we've seen on the road" to stuff we've seen from the car while on the road. I think that's allowed :scratch :)
I almost discounted Twiggy until I looked at her shadow, twilight zone indeed!
She was "on the road" when she was crossing it in front of me - :lol:
As for the lack of shadow... maybe no reflection either. :scratch
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay I am biased, but even so...
You don't see mega-amounts of these on the road.

Here seen in a disabled bay at work during my clinic.
Not my patient sadly - or probably just as well as I would not have had my brain focused on clinical matters.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Nice!
Once again not strictly on the road but I thought worthy of a photo!
These didn't survive in any great numbers.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Listed as a Vauxhall Victor.
Not a shape I recognise for a Victor.
Reg'd 4th May 1960 and showing as 1500cc.

Cool.

A quick google shows it as a Victor F.
Obviously I am too young to have seen this in their hey-day.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:56 pm Okay I am biased, but even so...
You don't see mega-amounts of these on the road.

Here seen in a disabled bay at work during my clinic.
Not my patient sadly - or probably just as well as I would not have had my brain focused on clinical matters.
Nice example. I keep wondering about that scrape along the side door, it's an odd height and surely you wouldn't continue opening when the door started to foul?
Every time I see louvre windows anywhere I wonder how secure they are. They're certainly no good up here, a potential midgie motorway lol.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Mk3alan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:32 pm Nice!
Once again not strictly on the road but I thought worthy of a photo!
These didn't survive in any great numbers.

Alan
Definitely photo worthy :thumb
I was offered one of these back in the 70's and declined.
I don't regret it; I was ten years from getting my licence and as I found out later, they were known rust buckets. Phew!

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

ilovedmymantas wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:38 am
Nice example. I keep wondering about that scrape along the side door, it's an odd height and surely you wouldn't continue opening when the door started to foul?
Every time I see louvre windows anywhere I wonder how secure they are. They're certainly no good up here, a potential midgie motorway lol.
That is the fixed side (sliding door is on the left side).
That scrape looks like the weld line of a very amateur sill panel replacement.
You can get sills with the bottom 6" of side panel built into the pressing.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

When i saw the door channel my mind made up the rest, it decided the fridge air vent was a handle lol.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Unfortunately, after 10 years of procrastinating about our van, you become almost encyclopaedic about every nut, bolt, and grommet on these things.

That is the only reason why I didn't question the repair 'damage'.
No doubt, the top of the van underneath that hinged roof will be even more scary.
Just crumbly rust around the roof gutter seams. :(
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I had a trip to West Wales again yesterday. 18/9/22.
Those who know us well, will be aware that the wife loves to visit the sleepy seaside village of Barmouth two or three times each year.
It is a tiny village that only "opens" between Easter and the end of September each year.

Here for sale next to the main theatre in Barmouth was a 1957 Austin A35.
948cc.

I didn't see a price, but looks like nobody has attempted any repairs. Judging by the dents etc...
A nice project perhaps.

Last time (June) I drove up the winding road between Dolgellau and Barmouth, we saw lots of old classic air cooled Porsches.

This time we were greeted by five or six early TVRs.
Don't ask me what model... Probably Griffiths or similar.