Just got back...

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

carlos_canter

Just got back...

Post by carlos_canter »

...from Poland.

Stayed at the mother in laws apartment (5th floor ex communist block) and visited family.

Apart from the hundreds of opels knocking about, there was a fair few cavaliers/vectra A's and they were in suprisingly good nick, some had scabby arches and aside from a few scuffs and scrapes, pretty much worthy of a tidy up. Even spotted one with a hella back panel.

Best bit, apart from the weather (minimum of 25 degrees in the shade) was the prices, 5 zwotys to the pound, a meal for 4, fish, steak, 2 pork dishes and drinks came to £15.

A pack of 23 cigarettes was £3.26 and fuel is around £1.10 for super unleaded and regular at 89p per litre.

Will try and throw a few pics up if any one is interested, definatley the place to go for a week away or a stag do.

And the vast majority of the women are stunning.
"Redefining success since 1981"
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Just got back...

Post by humbucker »

Pics or it never happened!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Cheap fuel and left-hand drive Cavalier? I'm packing my bags...
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
marcia

Post by marcia »

Show us the pictures.
I went to Gdansk for a wedding in 2005 and agree with you about the women being drop dead gorgeous, all ages.

William
PRESENT CAR;1995(N) Vauxhall Cavalier GLS, 2.0 litre, 16 Valve Automatic in Smoke Grey.
Owned since August 2006
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

humbucker wrote:Pics or it never happened!
Will get some thrown up, I dont really do the touristy thing but missus took loads of pics, will show you the "apartment blocks" as I took a few pics for an urbex forum I visit.
Cavalier342 wrote:Cheap fuel and left-hand drive Cavalier? I'm packing my bags...
Theres loads of them if you look hard enough. Wanted to buy one and drive it back which wouldnt take too long, roughly 1000 miles.
marcia wrote:Show us the pictures.
I went to Gdansk for a wedding in 2005 and agree with you about the women being drop dead gorgeous, all ages.

William
We flew into and out of Gdansk airport but stayed in Golub Dobzyn(?). Did you think that the place was tidy? I only really seen fag dimps round bins and near the doors of the apartment blocks, but litter was relatively scarce.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

ye, or in Cavalier terms, only 2 tank fulls :D
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
marcia

Post by marcia »

Gdansk was beautiful, only shops were empty a reminder of communisim even though it was long gone in 2005, however the wedding goes on for 2 days, loads of neat vodka.

William
PRESENT CAR;1995(N) Vauxhall Cavalier GLS, 2.0 litre, 16 Valve Automatic in Smoke Grey.
Owned since August 2006
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Polski Wodka is AWESOME.

We have some honey flavoured and it dont half warm you up, its usualy around 38% but you can get stronger.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Only Polish vodka I've tried is Zubrowka. With Bizon grass in it. Tasted weird but I'm not a fan of paint thinner anyway. Only scotch, rum or gin for me, not that paint thinner called vodka.
Previous:

carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Cavalier342 wrote:Only Polish vodka I've tried is Zubrowka. With Bizon grass in it. Tasted weird but I'm not a fan of paint thinner anyway. Only scotch, rum or gin for me, not that paint thinner called vodka.
Wee bit harsh to call all vodka paint thinner, there is a vast variety of flavours and strengths available, seems you found one offensive to your palete.

The honey vodka and the lemon are lovely, but as you, there are others which just dont float my boat. Find your nearest "polski sklep" and sample a couple of small bottles, a few quid each, think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Heres some pics, apartment block mainly but you get the idea, unfortunatley, no lasses.
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Our chariot for the week, V6 4-Motion Golf, German import and has lived in Poland for about 3 years.

Love the communist feel of this place.

Spent the day in Torun
Polski Runcorn Bridge

One for Andrei, despite looking scruffy, it was VERY tidy.

Auntie lives on a farm and her 2 cats both had kittens, this is one of 3 which the mother dragged into the basement to nest, he was definatley the runt of the litter.

Market day, heard rumours about this, but the things you can get are un believable.
They have flash lights with 2 plates hidden in the end, you set the switch and hit the button when attacked and you give out 50,000 volts. I found this out by accident.
I paid 25 zwotys for a cree LED torch with a built in laser LED, not the brightest laser but for £5 you cant grumble.

Heres Golub castle on the last night, heavily damaged in the war and rebuilt.

Could go on for ever about the german occupation and little snippets. But the trip certainly opened my eyes.

If you go, dont do what I did and leave a credit card sized multi tool in your wallet and get taken to one side by customs.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

:D Left hand drive Cavalier saloon, I'm happy now.

Looks a lot like where I grew up to be honest. I know most Eastern European countries have similar buildings and road layouts, but that does look similar.
Previous: