arguing about old cars vs new

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

retrogeezer

arguing about old cars vs new

Post by retrogeezer »

Yep, your car so do what you like. :thumb Funny enough I think I saw that car on ebay when I was looking at others when I bought mine in mid-May. Did the seller you got it from only have it for a month?

I really don't understand why people sign up to pay £200 a month for 3 years on finance when you can go and buy something like this for what is effectively 2 months repayments..
Cavalier342

Re: Project Cavloon

Post by Cavalier342 »

retrogeezer wrote:
I really don't understand why people sign up to pay £200 a month for 3 years on finance when you can go and buy something like this for what is effectively 2 months repayments..

Simple, because they're plain idiots who would rather show off to their 10 year old friends about who's got the "latest" car and gadgets... Today's world is full of kids who haven't grown up yet, that's why finance deals exist.

That's ok though, because as long as they stay out of my way, I can enjoy owning a real car that I've paid for with my own money. End of.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Cavalier342 wrote:
retrogeezer wrote:

Simple, because they're plain idiots who would rather show off to their 10 year old friends about who's got the "latest" car and gadgets... Today's world is full of kids who haven't grown up yet, that's why finance deals exist.

That's ok though, because as long as they stay out of my way, I can enjoy owning a real car that I've paid for with my own money. End of.
So your calling my youngest brother an idiot.
I think your a very humble little man that really doesn't think about anything.
Most people get a brand new car on a fiance deal these days because
1. It's nice to have something new, its unlikely you'd buy a second hand toilet.
2. Fiance is easy to get
3. Insurance is thrown in for the first year
4. Tax is cheaper if buying a small economic car, this is one of the biggest reasons!
5. Peace of mind cause people think its less likely to go wrong
6. The companies offer great deals
7. No mots for 3 years
Most people see a car for getting from a to b as cheaply as possible Andrei.
I think your the idiot to be honest
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Cavalier342 wrote:Today's world is full of kids who haven't grown up yet
I really feel the need to point out that this is nothing new, it's always been that way, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
planetc

Post by planetc »

btcctroy wrote: 2. Fiance is easy to get
Is she? When can I meet her? :grin:

.... and to add to that, very few people have enough money to pay for a new car outright and if nobody bought them then there wouldn't be any decent secondhand cars either because you'd be stuck with ex fleet cars.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
jb1kenoby

Post by jb1kenoby »

Cavalier342 wrote:
retrogeezer wrote:

Really ???

My daily driver is on finance because I need a smart car for work, something to cart my kids around with that wont break down and is perfect for motorway driving and every day living and at the end of the day I didn't have 11k to buy it out right

My wife's car was on finance but is fully paid off by me and is the same situation and modern

Most of us don't buy new cars because we want to show off it because when u grow up and have to look presentable to customers they won't like u turning up in a old cavalier 90% of the time

Yes I have a toy that I can play with that isn't on finance and is mine but that is besides the point
Born in Luton - Refined in Bournemouth
dave955

Post by dave955 »

Daft statement really , my everyday car is on finance admittedly only 12 months left . An old car isn't suitable for everyday use to ferry the wife and kids round
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

Really??

I've been using a 96 Mondeo and an 88 Bluebird for the last 6 and 4 years respectively as every day transport. No issues or breakdowns whatsoever.

The Cav is replacing the Bluebird and I would be more than happy to use that as every day transport too, airbag/side impact beams etc. Why should they not be useable as an every day car?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Old cars are fine, its like anything look after it and it will look after you. The new car is more buy and forget and thats what a lot of people want.

Andrei's stance is a little blinkered but I can see his view, I could afford a car on finance, hell if i broke into my savings i could have a new car tomorrow but im saving for a house deposit and thats a priority over a new car that i have to worry about someone keying or damaging

The other week dan richards offered to buy my cav off me, now while im not adverse to selling my cavalier, spec wise there isnt much it hasnt got and what else would i buy? There isnt anything that catches my eye other than stuff well out of my price bracket

My missus would love me to get rid of the cav as it attracts too much attention for her.
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

I can see the attraction of a new smaller car with 5 years warranty/servicing etc if you just want to get in and drive and are not mechanically minded in any way but I don't see why an older car can't be used as an every day vehicle. New cars are just as likely to break down for a start and it will usually be something you can't fix yourself.

Our mondeo has electric windows/sunroof power steering/air con/air bags/side impact beams etc. Used it for holidays and trips down south to my folks for the last 6 years. A new car would not have done anything more but would have lost 10k in the time we have had it.

It's just my opinion and I respect that others have a different view. I would just rather spend the money on a holiday or something rather than watch a car depreciate sat on the drive or in the works car park. :)
dave955

Post by dave955 »

Which ever way you look at it a newer car is safer , that's my perspective when it comes to my children ,
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

So would you rather they were in the back of a new Toyota Aygo or an old Cavalier in a rear end collision?

I don't think you can worry too much about what car you are in, look what happened yesterday in Roose, Wales.
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

anyway, we are way off topic here so apologies for that. All I meant was that for 2 months HP payments on a new car you could get a lovely Cavalier. :thumb
dave955

Post by dave955 »

I don't drive an aygo I drive a vectra
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

I dont have kids. And need a car I can take on building sites and do lots of miles in, and not really care about what happens to it.

I bought my cav will less than a months finace I used to pay back in 2003 on an avensis.

I would never buy a car on fiance again, as if you have to sell the car within in a few or so, you end up giving the car back, and its not worth what you still ow on finace. I had to give the car back, and give them £1,700.

But that was because I was given a company car so had to sel my new one.

People say why dont I buy a newer smaller more economical car.

1, ok it would save fuel, (But I am trying to find a TD cav to run on chipfat)
2, cheaper road tax, if any not free.
3, saver to crash in.

But the overall savings in fuel would not justify paying extra for the car.

The only modern cars that really stand out to me, are so expensive, that for now I'd rather save up and buy a better house with land/garages.

And besides, I like the oldskool feal to the cavalier, its suits my driving style.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love a new car, BUt only if I got it for free. A volvo V60 or insignia would be a lovely everyday family car. But at moment my money ios for a new house.

(Intresting thought tho, any one remember either old top gear of %th gear, Quintin did a feature on "Bangernomics?")

They did a comparrison about running cost, compared to new car finance, and buying and running an old car.

Some people found it chepaer to buy an old big car, with good spec, run it til it died, then get another. Was cheaper than a low spec small car brand new), That was back in the day.

I see both peoples veiws on here, but would never say someone was stupid for being new. (Unless its a house), for the simple fact I work on building sites and Know how they get built! :?
C30XE
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

Gaz

Re: arguing about old cars vs new

Post by Gaz »

Moved the discussion out of the orignal topic
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

btcctroy wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:
retrogeezer wrote:

So your calling my youngest brother an idiot.
I think your a very humble little man that really doesn't think about anything.
Most people get a brand new car on a fiance deal these days because
1. It's nice to have something new, its unlikely you'd buy a second hand toilet.
2. Fiance is easy to get
3. Insurance is thrown in for the first year
4. Tax is cheaper if buying a small economic car, this is one of the biggest reasons!
5. Peace of mind cause people think its less likely to go wrong
6. The companies offer great deals
7. No mots for 3 years
Most people see a car for getting from a to b as cheaply as possible Andrei.
I think your the idiot to be honest

Completely agree
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

hey, this isn't arguing - it's a discussion. Good to see how others look at things. :)
Rage

Post by Rage »

i still haven't come out of the 90's with my cars my cav i got for £75 and have had the cash to personalise it over the 5 years i have had it there is a few things she lacks (in the current weather sufficient cooling for both me and her) but at 198000 miles she is still going strong even with being used as a van, family car,tow truck e.t.c. i have just got myself a nova van for economy @ 60mpg compared to my cavs reasonable 30-35mpg. i would never buy new as i don't like the isolated drive with my cav and my nova i can feel where everything is and what is happening and if anything goes wrong its an easy fix with a wealth of parts available. working in a garage also shows how hard it is to find some stupid parts aswell the stealerships hold back the patent on some really trivial parts. £40 saw new pads, discs, and flexi's on the front of my novavan, we charge at least double that for our cheapest discs and pads. i can't see the 'cheap' side of a new car. yes the tax may be cheaper and they may have better mpg. but when they are fitted with odd tyre sizes and have expensive consumable parts the cheap side of things tend to be outweighed by the cost of maintaining them and buying them in the first place. plus by the time you look at upgrading to a newer model you are left with a car that might aswell be worth scrap value by the time you have added up the cost of maintaining it and the amount it has depreciated and take that from what it's market value is. alright with any car you are not going to be able to make back the money you have spent on it after owning it for a few years but if i had taken the offers of £800 that i have had for my cav i would be alot less out of pocket than if i was to own then sell on a newer car
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
jb1kenoby

Post by jb1kenoby »

At the end of the day which would I prefer to have a accident in

My Old Cav turbo or my 11 plate Astra sports tourer which both carried my kids in

I have gone through all of the cavaliers through my life including vec b's,signums,vec c,Astra mk3 & mk4 which I paid out right for

but when you start having a kids, dogs etc its natural progression to get a newer car to help cope with growing family etc

My current daily car is fantastic and I love it to bits and I have modified it because I love working on cars I don't let it just sit on the drive or work car park losing me money if anything it's saving me money from when I used to drive older cars

Yes I loved my Cav turbo but it was far from a every day car and its been replaced with a even older car that is even less practical
Born in Luton - Refined in Bournemouth
Rage

Post by Rage »

personally i would feel fine having a crash in my cav from the tests ive seen and the aftermath of some crashes ive seen involving cavs they come off pretty well and so do the occupants. my novavan on the other hand... ...there isn't much to absorb any impact damage but then it is a tiny box and would probably fair about the same as some of these newer 'city' cars.

so even with the idea of which would i rather have a crash in, i know that i would rather not have a crash but if it was to happen i feel safe in my cav
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
dave955

Post by dave955 »

A cav is safe in a crash to a point but not compared to a modern equivalent , hence the new car thing , everyone has different needs and wants from a car
Freakmandu

Post by Freakmandu »

btcctroy wrote: its unlikely you'd buy a second hand toilet.

True, but in general people don't tend to shit in their cars.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Freakmandu wrote:

True, but in general people don't tend to shit in their cars.

Oh,,,, :oops:
I wondered why I was getting funny looks while going thro Mc Donalds drive through.
C30XE