arguing about old cars vs new

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Re: arguing about old cars vs new

Post by btcctroy »

It was a joke lol. Used cars can have some quite disgusting things in them h&uhh
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
planetc

Re: Project Cavloon

Post by planetc »

btcctroy wrote: 1. It's nice to have something new, its unlikely you'd buy a second hand toilet.
Rewinding that a bit, actually I must be in a minority here because I did exactly that. Complete cloakroom suite off ebay for £4, lol
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

So I guess when people move house they immediately change every toilet in the house and never use a public lav?? :D

On a more serious note, it's funny that most people's biggest concern about old vs new is probably the rarest occurrence, having a crash. I'd rather not crash in any car really and it would have to be a pretty serious crash for it to make that much of a difference in what car you were in.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

I've thought about that, If I crash in my cav I may die.

But then I used to get 4 flights a month when I worked in the shetlands, And If I thought what if! I'd have never got on the plane.

And you could get hit by a bus, bus I dont walk about in protective gear in case I do.

End of the day I'd rateher have a crash in my cav, than on a motorbike. (Hence why I dont have a motorbike lol)

I understand people with kids wanting the safest car possible.

But I was a kid in the 80's in my dads old Austin Maxi, and montego. We'd have been dead for sure in bad crash.

Car owener ship comes down to cost and enjoyment.

I get a old skool, joy driving my 1.8 cav about.
C30XE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

2.JPG
11.JPG
My first cav, i walked away from that crash and 2 hours later i was getting nicely intoxicated
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

I own an old car mainly because I enjoy tinkering and also because i enjoy the feel of driving an old car.
But truth be told if i had the money I would so love to own a newer car only some models mind.
I fell in love with the laguna estate when I was a valetar and would easily buy one, but i can't be bothered with paying out for the repairs.
I wouldn't say people are dumb for owning something new as I'm like it with my tv I want a newer up to date led smart tv but I'm not aloud one as they are expensive but if i could I would go on finance for one but I've made a promise to myself and my other half never to do finance again as I've fallen so many times into that trap and I am thankfully nearly out of it.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

I think andrei has a little of the eastern european way of life running in his blood, make do and mend, springs to mind.

I dont think that most young people show off in a new car, I think its more of a sense of freedom.

Granted, you do get utter pillocks out there and completely sympathise in many ways.

I like my old car because its mine and I can do whatever I want to it. I wont have george in my car any time soon so the wife has the 55 plate S40 for day to day use.

Its safer for george and us if the worse should happen (touch wood), it has about 6 airbags and I believe the "sips" system and has also been engineered to fold in a way to ensure occupant survival.

Granted, the cavalier helped pave the way for crash safety by taking a leaf from volvo's book, but I dont think a 18 year old cavalier would fold the same way as it should do when it was made, metal degrades and tin worm sets in.

For family, the newer car wins hands down, for a daily work hack and general beater, the cav has it 10 times over.
"Redefining success since 1981"