TOP SPEED...

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ashs_cav

TOP SPEED...

Post by ashs_cav »

Something iv been meaning to ask, just out of pure curiosity and something iv not looked up on the internet till now is...

Whats the fastest people have had out of:-

1* Cav GSI
2* Cav SRI
3* Cav TURBO

On private roads/tracks motorways whatever.

(Im not saying speeding and endangering the public is a good idea and not promoting erractic driving):-)
Peanut_119

Re: TOP SPEED...

Post by Peanut_119 »

It would depend on the gearbox they have.

According to the speed calculator my modded gearbox has a top speed of 206. The engine could never pull it to that though. And I wouldnt like to try either.

A standard f20 states at 6000rpm in 5th is 128mph
ashs_cav

Post by ashs_cav »

Ahh bit shit then 128 on the sri
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

I had 120 ish from my old gls c20ne... Took a while to get there mind you...
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

the ecotech read 135 on the wide ratio f18, just didn't have the power to reach red line in 5th, a v6 on an f28 would do 135 hitting the rev limiter if 5th, I never got to find out what she'd do in 6th as the block spat a Conrod out out at both sides, the 1.8 has never really gone over 90, and the 3litre I never took over a ton, as top speed Dosent bother me, neither dose 0-60, it's over taking speed which is fun,
C30XE
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Do you mean standard setup? The Cav Turbo is listed at about 149mph but plenty of reports of people getting over 155mph.

You forgot V6 in your list, also a very capable motor.
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

HAIRIBO wrote:the ecotech read 135 on the wide ratio f18, just didn't have the power to reach red line in 5th, a v6 on an f28 would do 135 hitting the rev limiter if 5th, I never got to find out what she'd do in 6th as the block spat a Conrod out out at both sides, the 1.8 has never really gone over 90, and the 3litre I never took over a ton, as top speed Dosent bother me, neither dose 0-60, it's over taking speed which is fun,
In my belmont, tuned c25xe with standard limiter on f18 wide ratio it did 151mph on satnav, thats the limiter.
My f16cr goes off the clock but shows 136mph on satnav.
2VauxhallGearboxRatios.gif
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I had my first turbo off the 160 clock a few times easily. Obviosely wasnt an accurate reading though so was probably more like 150. I dont doubt for one minute that my current impreza would easily go off the clock either.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote:I had 120 ish from my old gls c20ne... Took a while to get there mind you...
Seen about 126 out of mine give or take, past a ton its very slow to accelerate though as the box gives all the grunt low down the rev range making it a fairly rapid low down....Surprises a few people in much newer cars!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Rage

Post by Rage »

127 from my c18nz with a f18 box and 127 from my c20ne with the same f18 box it just got there easier and that was with 195/45/15 yoko s-drive tyres i now have 215/40/17 on so it has altered the gearing slightly so i could possibly push 130-132ish
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
terkin

Post by terkin »

gsi would go off clocks no troubles but usually miss read by 15mph according to crap nav
Kevwaggy

Post by Kevwaggy »

Had 138 out the v6 on the f18wr didn't feel like there was much left!
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
Tez653

Post by Tez653 »

I managed to get 140 put of my Sri ecotech paid the price for it though overheating fun and games
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Wow - ten years to reply to this thread.
That flies in the face of speed!!

There is next to nil chance to verify the top spreed of your car in the UK, unless you attend a track day or something.

Especially if you live near a major city like I do, in which there are loads of speed cameras per square mile.

Judging by modern driving standards, I am surprised we are not restricted to 20mph everywhere, just like they are in built up areas in Wales.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:51 pm Wow - ten years to reply to this thread.
That flies in the face of speed!!

There is next to nil chance to verify the top spreed of your car in the UK, unless you attend a track day or something.

Especially if you live near a major city like I do, in which there are loads of speed cameras per square mile.

Judging by modern driving standards, I am surprised we are not restricted to 20mph everywhere, just like they are in built up areas in Wales.
I live close to the Welsh border and can only conclude that the 20mph limit is actually dangerous. Due to the amount of hidden speed cameras popping up on the dash of the old bill you have to concentrate so hard on your speedo that you can't pay any attention to other road users and pedestrians. Doing only 20 is nearly impossible what anybody says. You can't even set the cruise to it as most dont function under 30.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Oh go on then! I got an indicated 120 on my C16NZ2 equipped LS cavalier as a reckless youth once. That was indicated however and the speedo is not very accurate on the LS. I reckon that I was doing about the 109 mph manufacture quoted top speed.

I had the V6 on the German autobahn about 5 years ago, unfortunately it was suffering from a severely blocked up catalytic converter at the time so I only managed about 100mph.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Back in the day (early 1990's)
There were no gps units, so we had to rely on our inaccurate mechanical speedos.
Most were approx. 7 to 10% on the optomistic side.

Our 1987 1300 (13S) mk2 Cav achieved an indicated 108mph on the M61 returning from Blackpool to Manchester.
Amazing for a small engine with a 4-speed F10 box.

Only days after I bought the missus the C18NZ Cavalier in December 1995, she reported going for a spirited drive on the M67 from Mottram Moor to Denton.
She intended to come off at Hyde, but realised that she was going way too fast to come off in time, so had to overshoot to Denton.
She reported an indicated speed of 127mph as she approached the Hyde area. It is a nice straight down-hill stretch.
My wife was a bit of a girl racer, but not really known for exageration.
But she used to enjoy fishing, and we all know what fishermen are like for embellished fish weights and sizes. - lol
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The highest indicated speed ive ever had in my cav is around 85. Still plenty left to go but guess I'm just becoming an old fart. Even back in the day I dont think I ever got 100 out of my old Cavs but I think that's more to do with them having tired 1.6s in them rather than at 19 me being sensible. The highest indicated speed ive had is 130 in my Golf gti when I was in my teens( private test track, honest).
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Ahh... the M67. Any stranger on the M60 Manchester ring road, headed to Sheffield, would be pleased to see the M67 turnoff, signposted to Sheffield with a distance of about 33 miles. Be there in no time.......then they find that the M67 lasts for about 3 miles and disgorges you onto a narrow 2-lane road through Mottram, Hadfield and Glossop, completely jammed up with heavy trucks. You're lucky if you get through that lot and onto the Snake Pass in less than an hour. I suffer this routinely when I visit my daughter in Sheffield, travelling from Cumbria.
Both road and railway (Hope Valley) connections between Manchester and Sheffield - 2 major northern cities - are very poor and wouldn't be tolerated in the South.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic