Cavalier turbo diesel any good?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

cavaliersri130

Cavalier turbo diesel any good?

Post by cavaliersri130 »

I have been looking about trying to buy a vectra but I haven't had much luck, so I started looking at Cav turbo diesels as I like the idea of owning one due to fuel economy.
But what I want to know is if anyone has had one is are they really worth investing in?
What's the mpg on one, are they fast on pull away or sluggish as i like getting out of junctions sharpish :smile: need to around here no one gives way.
Basically on general what are they like to drive and run?

Any advice given will be much appreciated :D

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
Cavalier342

Re: Cavalier turbo diesel any good?

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm lost on how many times this has been asked.... :lol: Search around the forum mate, there's been loads of people asking that and loads of replies, you'll find all you need about them no doubt :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
northern lad

Post by northern lad »

ive got one bud - bought it to replace my 04 plate Vectra sri, yes standard they can be a little slow off the mark but not ridiculously bad, when its going its quite fun lol ive yet to tweak it which i'll be doing in the next few weeks, mpg im getting around 45-55+ mpg

hth
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

I'm despretly trying to get my hands on one! To run on veggie oil.
C30XE
Ads

Post by Ads »

I had a td turbo rep a few years ago and being used to quick cars there very sluggish off the mark, I never got round to upgrading mine engine wise but told off a few people that with few mods are capable of keeping up with a 2.0 8v.
rustyarches

Post by rustyarches »

ime on my 7th cav td and i run it on oil and deisel,turn the pump up 2 turns turn the boost up to 1.5 bar, knock the cat out and remove the thermostate and i keep up with most modern cars,veg oil is £10 for 10 litters,will do 125 mph so its not to slow,if you want to know any more ask me,
Rustyarches vauxhall make them and i break them. cars owned 40+cavaliers,8 calibras, 3 astras, 2 novas, 1 fontera, 2 carltons, 1 senator, 1 omega, 1 corsa , 3 vectras,
lew893

Post by lew893 »

As above same for me! Run it on part veg part diesel, veg oil is still on offer in Tesco's and wks out at £1 a litre! The only thing I haven't done is remove the thermostat and turn up the boost! I also fitted a K&N filter, done 30000 miles in 18 months only problem so far is the rad popped! Everything else has just been service items! great mpg and once its moving goes well enough!
Riders on the storm!
fontayne56

Post by fontayne56 »

Mines bog standard done 235000 miles and still shines like a new penny. Keep the oil clean and it wont let you down. I have had seven cars and this cav is still me first car ive owned lol !!
edessex

Post by edessex »

I've got a 1995 Cavalier, 1.7TD Izusu, also had a 1994/5 Astra, same engine.

Great cars, 50mpg, pull like a train.

Ran the Astra on 100% bio diesel for ages, with no problems.

My brother has a 1.6 Astra MkIII, and only just kept up with a 1.7TD Cav he was following, so can't be that sluggish!
Current Vauxhall: '95 Vauxhall Cavalier Hatch 1.7TD (Izusu)
Past Vauxhalls: '94 Astra Hatch 1.7TD (Izusu), '94 Astra Hatch 1.4ltr, '94 Astravan 1.7TD (GM), '89 Nova Saloon Mk1 1.0ltr, (Bedford) Brava pickup 2.2D.
...Plus loads of non-Vauxhall!