Under engine cover.

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Cavalier342

Re: Under engine cover.

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm not a fan of them personally, if you're working under the bonnet and drop a bolt or screw, (let's be honest it's not uncommon) you've had it. Means you have to remove that just to find the sodding thing.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

They are fitted as standard equipment on GSI's don't know what other models use them, I suspect eco-tec engined cars probably had them as well
John Owens

Post by John Owens »

Never seen one of these on a cav tbh :-o
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Andrei, if you have one of those retractable magnetic thingies then your lost screw woes are over.

GSi's had these under engine covers fitted as standard, they have a hatch for access to the sump. Omegas have them too and I have to say they're brilliant. No spray from the road, no easy way for rodents and other pesky critters to get in there (useful if you live in rural areas) but obviously you need to unbolt one for full access.

I was tempted by one of the eBay ones as genuine GSi ones are like hens teeth as most mechanics threw them away and owners never thought to ask/knew they existed in the first place. I wonder how well they fit. If they're snug then I would have no hesitation in buying one.

Let us know how you get on!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Sorry mate but I'll have to disagree there. :mrgreen: Water spray will get in either way, let's face it it's not a Humvee which has a water-tight engine bay. Lost bolts can fall down and roll right under the engine, where a telescopic magnet can't get to as they don't flex, only extend. I've got 2 :ugeek: :lol: I know they're there for a reason, to improve aero dynamics etc, but I still don't see the practical point in them :thumb
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

my 4x4 gsi had half of one lol
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

:lol:
Previous:

DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

std on GSI's only AFAIK.
got one in my back garden, never got round to fitting it. all the slots are in the car for the clips. one day

as for dropped bolts etc. wouldn't be a problemo, not in the habit of doing that anyway, but there is a removable section for oil changes under the sump at the lowest area on dzus clips.
they are much like GTE Astra ones but a slightly different shape AFAIK.

worth 20 HP in scene points if fitted to a GTE I'm told
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

My old company car had one, Engine bay was always clean, the reversing in a feild ripped it off. The next time I opened the bonnet it looked like a mud bomb had gone off.

So they do I deed work.

I''d buy one if I knew it would fit, But at £85+ I'm not risking it.
C30XE
planetc

Post by planetc »

As someone who regularly plays with cars roadside with limited facilities I would rather not see one of these. I don't believe the benefits outweigh the restrictions for anything but a track car.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

My Cav has one and all ways has, but it was missing the access hatch in it. So I made a hatch for it. Dose keep the engine bay clean and also makes the engine run hotter. The fan kicks in a lot more with cover fitted on.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

I have an access panel some where but the rest fell to bits only the front half left, there was an original one on e-bay a while ago didn't sell though & to far for me to collect,
terkin

Post by terkin »

im with 342 on this thier a total pain in the arse binned mine as it was a ball ache trying to refit it,i once knocked a full 1/4 set in to an astra engine bay with a cover not one socket fell through lol had to take it all off :lol: