Vauxhall - where the name came from.

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Vauxhall - where the name came from.

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Sir Falkes de Breauté, was a military leader and a favourite of King John and later Henry III. In 1215 de Breauté fought a successful military campaign on behalf of King John against Prince Louis of France and the Barons, by taking the City of Worcester. As a consequence de Breauté received Margaret de Redvers’s hand in marriage. His wife’s family owned a large estate in Lambeth. De Breauté, on receiving part of this land and property, renamed the manor house, Falkes Hall. Over time this name evolved into Fox Hall and ultimately, Vauxhall. In 1224, de Breauté, having nearly triggered a civil war in England, was excommunicated and banished to the continent. He died in Rome in 1226. His heraldic crest was the griffin. 

In 1857 a marine engineering company was founded by Alexandra Wilson on the Wandsworth Road. The company began to produce motor vehicles in 1903 and changed its name to Vauxhall Motors. It took, as its logo, the de Breauté griffin.

In 2003, a plaque was fixed to a Sainsbury’s petrol station on Wandsworth Road to mark the site of the 'Vauxhall Ironworks Company Limited' factory, as part of the companies centenary. But it is not clear what has happened to this plaque now; as the Sainsbury's, it's petrols station and other building in the area have been demolished as part of the areas redevelopment plans. The Vauxhall Griffin pub on Wyvil Road remains, just avoiding the new building schemes.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Re: Vauxhall - where the name came from.

Post by Cavalier342 »

Very nice. 1220's, that's pretty far back. What I find insulting is they decided to put an iconic plaque on the forecourt of a cheap supermarket gas station! Talk about bad judgment.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I was expecting this to be a snippet from James - the resident historian.

Indeed, you'd expect something more than a poxy plaque on a supermarket forecourt.
I am sure the local area's economy and employment would have been significantly boosted by the original Vauxhall motor company in it's day.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier Superfan

Post by Cavalier Superfan »

"Sainsbury's. Essentials for the Essentials."

(and commemorative plaques)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Nice bit of history there Dave.

Thanks for sharing. :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Looks like the 90's Griffin on the plaque.

Nice !!

Okay not a poxy plaque... still not the most fitting of locations at the time.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I'm up that way next week (on one of my London all day mooching sessions) so I'll check out where the petrol station used to be and see if I can find out what happened to it.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
N162CRO

Post by N162CRO »

Only just spotted this thread (only a year late!)

Conincidentally one of Sir Falkes de Breauté's castles (of which he had several) was next to Luton parish church fairly close to where Vauxhall's heritage centre now is. Nothing remains of the castle although the earthworks still existed until the start of the 20th century.