4x4

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

OPCed

4x4

Post by OPCed »

Hi guys again, well it turns out I may have a chance of getting hands on a 8v 4x4, uber rare over here and fairly rare in uk, seen 2-3 in my early years in wales but not years. I am waiting on the old Opel dealer to get it out and send me pics in mean time. :love :love :love

Anyhow can I get some info on differences/strength etc on the 8v 4x4 sytem.

Are the transfer box's same as 16v and turbo ones strength wise??

What about rear diff to??

Think the prop shaft differs between 8v and rest, am I remembering right??

Can the locking kits still be got??

I have a f28 in garage will this fit 8v transfer box ok?

If I get this long term I would like to make everything as reliable as possible, is there stronger diff's available for rear end or are they that good?

Anything I should consider??
DRIVE A Toyota!!!!!! - that's social suicide!!!!
andeben

Re: 4x4

Post by andeben »

Hi. Didn't see any replies here so thought I'd give you my 2 pence worth. Did you see the car etc?

8v transfer box has the same issue as those on the 16v and Turbos. i.e. the clutch material disintegrates and you end up with a dead accumulator and ultimately power steering fluid getting pumped out. I got a locking kit for mine in 2013 which I would recommend. I didn't notice any issues with respect to braking effects.

Differences that I'm aware of (but haven't seen personally) with an 8v tx box compared to others are that the viscous coupling mixture is different (due to torque differences) and that the interface to the propshaft is different.

Diff is the same as far as I'm aware. I've not had any problems there or heard of any actually.

F28 should be OK I think but check some more if this is critical for you. I've not had any problems with the F20 and found the gearing was quite entertaining for enthusiastic driving!

Hope that's some help :thumb

Ben
1989 2.0 8v (C20NE) 4X4 Vectra A