Just spotted what looks like old CD sitting in a VX dealers

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

cavalier1990

Just spotted what looks like old CD sitting in a VX dealers

Post by cavalier1990 »

Out for a drive on Saturday and passing through a nearby town there is a VX dealer, ironically my current cav has their dealer sticker on it, and what do I spot sitting outside....what looks like a gold/silver CD saloon with a big promotional scrappage scheme flyer on it :roll:

Despite my sinking stomach and spending the rest of the day in a huff (GF not pleased and telling me I don't need another car!) I decided to phone the dealer and ask about it, hoping to save it from the crusher. So info got so far is one of the sales guys owns it and so must be using it for scrappage scheme promo. He wasn't there but to phone him on Monday coming.

Oh dear hope it's not been condemned for the crusher I really hope not. Needless to say I will be on the blower monday in my best "not really concenered but just enquiring voice" to see "what is happening" with their old cavy.

I couldn't get a good look at it but it had what looked like the period CD alloys, Hlight wipers and tinted glass so assuming it's a CD model.

Hope we can come to some sort of arrangement as I want it!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Just spotted what looks like old CD sitting in a VX deal

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I noticed Vauxhall have restarted their 'scrappage' deals again. I wonder how many older VXs might disappear in part exchange deals...
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That makes me sick. I remember once passing an old small time dealership in my old auto, seeing a white Mk3 Astra estate, reasonably tidy, I stopped and went in and asked about it, all I got was a useless "oh it's going back to the yard soon" bollocks story. Saw the very same car in another dealership down the road from me about a week later, soon after it was gone. Proper pissed me off.

Also at our local Vauxhall dealership there was another Mk3 astra, hatch, with the same stickers all over it. I'm not even going to bother asking about it as I know what they'll say.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

lowrider dave wrote:I noticed Vauxhall have restarted their 'scrappage' deals again. I wonder how many older VXs might disappear in part exchange deals...
I reckon there will be a few unfortunately, I was dead against it the last time after i heard of lots of good stuff going for scrap. I did hear though that some dealers are offering the classics up for sale and not putting them into the scheme. How true this is I dont know.

The only saving grace about all this is that there will be a lot of good spare parts going around if you can find out where the cars are being taken - should be just a quick word with your local dealer.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Spoke to the guy today and he seems quite open about selling it as he said he bought it off an old guy (One owner) and it's been lying about not doing much. Said it needs a bit of work around the sill and stuff but generally tidy, and would let it go but not for silly money, said about 600. Best of all it's wait for it.....a 4 door diplomat 2.0K plate !
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

lowrider dave wrote:I noticed Vauxhall have restarted their 'scrappage' deals again. I wonder how many older VXs might disappear in part exchange deals...
He said scrappage scheme ends tomorrow, not sure if that VX scheme or there own version if it - still bad news for old cars but hey ho I wouldn't have seen that if it wasn't for the scheme!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Tonight I went over to see this cavy diplomat and although I was expecting some sort of rust somewhere I was pleasantly surprised with the car overall, even though it will require a good bit of work on the sills and arches and likely underneath at the usual points.

Good points:
  • low miler 78k
    Leather interior (not actually a great fan but it looks cool)
    All interior looks still in good nick (electric sunroof works, headliner looks good etc. etc.)
    Well looked after and literally hundreds of receipts from day ONE yes from new! He even kept a log of the MPG from new - old guy lives close by and is 96!
    2.0 8 Valve
    Diplomat
    Lots of spares in boot
    Original spare never used - how cool is that!
    Bonnet not rotten or rusted anywhere - most of mine have been
    Correct diplomat alloys
Bad points:
  • Most of the sills look as if they will need a bit of work, especially front drivers and rear O/S but probably all corners once stripped back. It felt mostly like their was surface rust with paint peeling off more than actual rotten through rust. Apparently the guy had had the underneath redone several times. I don't know why this is but I would probably put it down to lack of use and being used for regular trips to UIST where the salt would have gotten to it. However running my hand along the downward facing lip where sill and floor join was solid enough feeling, as they usually are with cavys; that's the worst bit to fix on any car.

Back Arches look the same, some bits look more like the paint is flaking rather than bubbling, however more than likely it'll be new arches at some point.

N/S wing rotten at bottom so it's split and popped out a bit from being flush with door, also wing has a ding under the indicator so looks likely that will be getting replaced.

Fuel leak, I put my hand under where the pipes go up under the tank and immediately felt a wet "drip" on the pipes, smelt it and was fuel. Not surprised the fuel pipes will probably be rotten.

I wasn't really suitably dressed for full inspection but had a look under the tail and looks pretty much standard fair for a cavalier, bit of surface rust here and there on the chassis legs, didn't look that bad along the axle, which is something my other cavy has - a pretty rotten axle at the back. I'll not be surprised if the spring seats need done, every other one I have had needed it.
So all in all it's an honest car I think, I can tell it's lowish miles and has been (mainly mechancially) looked after and hardly been used by the old guy, shame he didn't try and keep on top of the bodywork more or clean the mud out from under the arches, and probably the sea salt from it when he got back from UIST; I put my hand under and it was absolutely caked with mud under the lip.

Trying to currently upload the (dark and hazy) pics I got as it's sitting in their compound the now.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Looks quite good from the pics, will it be coming home with you then?
Mark
VBOA Members
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Another one saved?
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

2.0 DIppy - I'll have it!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

vauxhallnutter wrote:Looks quite good from the pics, will it be coming home with you then?
Yes, I need to get a tow home and that'll be with me ready for overhaul.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

humbucker wrote:Another one saved?
Sure is, especially as it's a diplomat makes it all the more worthwhile saving.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

lowrider dave wrote:2.0 DIppy - I'll have it!
Hehe my thoughts exactly!
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

cavalier1990 wrote:
vauxhallnutter wrote:Looks quite good from the pics, will it be coming home with you then?
Nice one, look forward to the progress reports.
Mark
VBOA Members
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Excellent news, glad to hear this. Shame I never got to save one in the same circumstances.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

vauxhallnutter wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:
Nice one, look forward to the progress reports.
Will start a thread soon for it once home and in garage. Just got new house and new project already taking up all the garage space!
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Look forward to updates on this