Tax Exemption

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Mk3alan

Tax Exemption

Post by Mk3alan »

Found this link on another forum which would apply to us on here!
Save me a lot of money!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119497

Alan
Cavalier342

Re: Tax Exemption

Post by Cavalier342 »

We've tried it before, sod all happened, and I doubt it ever will knowing this money-making nanny state government.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Don't try, won't happen?

Alan
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Signed! :thumb
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Signed
BigDaz

Post by BigDaz »

Signed
1991 Cavalier 1.4L Red (For now)
1992 Calibra C20XE Silver
1994 Calibra C20XE Yellow Se2
1995 Calibra 2.5V6 Black
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Signed

my cav's only 21 so I've got 4 years left to hopefully see this happen. I think the only way this could happen in our throw-away world is for one person, or even club, to post a petition and liase with uk motoring organisations, clubs, parts suppliers etc.

-you don't get if you don't ask !
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

The main reason why I know this will not work is the fact that the government must be aware that there are now a lot more eco-plastic boxes on the roads, many of which are already tax-exempt or in very low tax brackets, which means the top bosses in HM Revenue and Cocks know that they are getting less income with less tax-hungry older cars being on the road. If some people actually developed a brain and chose an older more reliable vehicle as opposed to an ugly plastic eco-box on finance, then maybe some deal could be arranged. As that will never happen due to society being brainwashed by finance deals and shiny plastic, I'm sorry but I'm not going to waste my time signing any petitions. I fully support the idea, but I simply know it will not get anywhere.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Cavalier342 wrote:The main reason why I know this will not work is the fact that the government must be aware that there are now a lot more eco-plastic boxes on the roads, many of which are already tax-exempt or in very low tax brackets, which means the top bosses in HM Revenue and Cocks know that they are getting less income with less tax-hungry older cars being on the road. If some people actually developed a brain and chose an older more reliable vehicle as opposed to an ugly plastic eco-box on finance, then maybe some deal could be arranged. As that will never happen due to society being brainwashed by finance deals and shiny plastic, I'm sorry but I'm not going to waste my time signing any petitions. I fully support the idea, but I simply know it will not get anywhere.
So if you fully support the idea sign it ? It's not hurting you by signing it ? You never know if it gets enough signatory's then it may come back
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

They stopped the 25 year rolling tax exemption because of the increased reliability of cars.
You can expect even mk1 Cavaliers to last longer and cost less in repairs than a 1960s Vauxhall Victor for example.
Even more so when you start to look at Mk3 Cavaliers and cars of the same period. There are far more 25 year old cars on the road now than there were in the mid 90s.

Tony Blair's government stopped the 25 year rolling tax exemption back in 1997, long before CO2 emissions dictated how much road tax you paid.
Carledo

Post by Carledo »

Now a 40 year old rolling exemption! My 78 Dolomite Sprint becomes tax free in April 2019 so the first PFL Cavs will be tax free in April 2029. I should live so long! Actually I might, i'll only be 75 then!

Steve
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Cavalier342 wrote:..... If some people actually developed a brain and chose an older more reliable vehicle as opposed to an ugly plastic eco-box on finance, then maybe some deal could be arranged......
Isn't that the point ?
Surely us and others like us, are the people you speak of, and the deal to be arranged is only possible if enough people club together to make their opinions heard. This petition, or one like it, seems to be the only way to make anything happen.
This isn't the first time a petition like this has been tried, i'm sure there's been overlapping ones that have sourced from different clubs/sites etc. The problem is the timing .
imo If this is to happen, then it has to happen all at once, from a higher source than dedicated individual members. It would benefit from being started and publicised by a car mag ( whose going to be first ! ) who could contact their members and advertisers and ask them to "pass it on " to everyone they know. Only needs to be a generic "contact all " email and it'll get to club level and individuals quickly. Even if someone doesn't own an older car they probably know someone who does .
Telling everyone, all at the same time, is the way it can happen-imho

I can't really feel sorry for the government. They've saved a fortune by closing local dvla offices while keeping ( money-making ) testing-stations, not to mention the savings made by not issuing tax discs and the biggest rip-off of all for buyers of older cars, non-transferrable tax :tdown .
I'm pretty sure they'll be making vat on the finance too.
Noticed this : http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/149454/n ... ar-in-2017
As usual , drivers are getting screwed.
I think there's probably going to be a resurgence in classics when new car drivers start getting taxed appropriately.

please forgive my ramblings, it was beer'o'clock hours ago, when I started this :cheers
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I found the link on another forum (Morris Minor) and as I am registered with other sites as well it seems a reasonable way to get the message round.
I am sure there are lots on here also registered with other sites.
Spread the word - its the only way things might happen!

Alan