Rust protection/ wax oil?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

kimi sri

Rust protection/ wax oil?

Post by kimi sri »

Hi progress is slow with my cavalier but is happening the point I'm at now is lots of parts removed sill trims bumpers etc. Now have access to cavities like sills and rear qtr. After reading horror stories like telegram Sam should I use any rust inhibitor in these areas while I have access? Opinions and advice very welcome thanks.
Cavalier342

Re: Rust protection/ wax oil?

Post by Cavalier342 »

If you're feel following Telegram Sam's project thread, then yes, you should see that protecting as much exposed metal as possible will help for the future. Make sure all surfaces are dry and clean before applying protection layers.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
kimi sri

Post by kimi sri »

Yeah but what stuff to use and should I protect inside the sills. What I'm trying to say is it better to use something as apose to leaving them as they are.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am using a combination of loads of very thin fluids (well Troy got me to order them, which he is applying).
So over freshly welded material he is painting on epoxy mastic.

Some panels / skins are painted with UPOL Raptor. (Like a truck bed liner).

Cavities are being treated with Fe123 and Noxudol 750 liquid cavity wax.

The noxudol can be sprayed into place, and it will seep into gaps and crevices by capillary action.

But as Andrei has said - whatever you use, ensure that it is going onto dry, clean metal as far as practicable.

Troy will tell you emphatically that thick waxy coatings like waxoyl etc can trap moisture in. And they are very messy to apply etc.

I once heard about thinning waxoyl down with diesel or something... but you would have to be uber-careful to avoid skin contact.

I hope that gives you some ideas...