Could I seek help with a zafira, error code, running prob?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

cavalier1990

Could I seek help with a zafira, error code, running prob?

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi All

A friends Zafira has been playing up for a while so I decided to try and have a look and see what was going on.

Firstly, history and car.
Zafira 09 plate, had from new, 1.6 petrol.

Was cutting out, hard to restart. Losing power. Now the "repaired/tinkered with so far" info is from a really non-techy owner so what I've picked up is a mechanic replaced the "accelerator pedal" so reading that to be the throttle pot or whatever it is on zafira.

Said this fixed the cutting out. However at some time later it developed a hiccup when driving as if loss of fuel/ignition for a split second. Since I've had a bit more time round the car and drove it I noticed that it seems to do this when on very light throttle or just when going from overrun to gas.

This was then seen to by putting in a new coil pack, and apparently this fixed it, for a while, but slowly creeped back and got kind of worse but never getting to a point of cutting out. Now I have heard to only use GM coils not pattern, and I was told by the owner that the garage had fitted a gen part, although there is no evidence I can see to back that up, at least in paperwork or a number or stamp on the coil. Then again I don't know if the coil would have this stamped on it. GM seems to stamp all their parts so I am going to assume it is not a GM part.

Today was the first time I had managed to get a proper look but this is what I found.

1) Performed pedal test to get error codes. Press gas and brake down, gas to floor, then turn ignition on and watch at digy speedo reading, a code came up 111261, which I have sort of worked out from reading other forums is something to do with no voltage or less than acceptable voltage found at a solenoid valve in the inlet manifold.

Here is better description from VX owners network thread:

http://www.hybridvauxhall.co.uk/index.p ... ed.402180/
This is the correct description for you P1112 code - P1112 61 Port Deactivation Solenoid Valve Actuation Error

The spanner light is NOT a service light and is an electronics malfunction light which is being set by the P1112 code. The problem is the stop on the sensor wears out so it gives a out of range reading and sets this code. This disables the twinport function on the car. The fix for it is a new inlet manifold complete with sensor. The sensor cannot be bought. I cant recall if the stops part of the sensor or the manifold. A new manifold fixes the issue. There was a guy on another forum who repaired the stop and that sorted the issue for him. Maybe its a option for you.
Note: Spanner light is not on in dash so I'm wondering if this is maybe just an error code not cleared.

So my eyes now turned to the engine bay. I had a look at the following, which all seemed fine, to the eye at least:

Coil pack and multiplug
Check two big multi plugs on top of engine for verdigris (copper corrosion), not sure what this unit is but looks like some sort of ECU.
Inlet manifold for gunk on and around accelerator flap. This was sparkling clean.
General check around and look at any plugs/wires for disintegration etc.

On my check I did find something potentially significant and that was a floating vacuum pipe in the back of the bulkhead. I took a pic of it and here it is:

I can't see any evidence that some sort of unit has been mounted near there in the bulkhead i.e. no dirt marks, no fixing screws etc. So no idea what this pipe is supposed to do. When I ran the car I could feel a very slight vacuum from it but very low. I taped up for now until discover what it is for exactly.

My gut tells me I'd like to try a new GM coil pack and that the error code is remnants from previous problem, however I don't recall owner telling me anything like this in the inlet manifold was changed. Another mechanic friend found this code but "had no idea what it was" Hello......Google?

So any thoughts or advice would be most welcome

Cheers

Andrew
planetc

Re: Could I seek help with a zafira, error code, running pro

Post by planetc »

Worth a read, might be irrelevant but interesting all the same http://www.ecutesting.com/vauxhall/astr ... mt35e.html
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
cavalier1990

Re: Could I seek help with a zafira, error code, running pro

Post by cavalier1990 »

planetc wrote:Worth a read, might be irrelevant but interesting all the same http://www.ecutesting.com/vauxhall/astr ... mt35e.html
Cheers but think it's either something to so with inlet manifold valve and/or this open ended vacuum pipe.