EU REFERENDUM

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

joe cavalier sri

EU REFERENDUM

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Hi what's your views on the in and out campaign I don't want to make the wrong choice for my children. This referendum has a lot of bull poo on both side with Cameroon not answering a direct question on sky the other day.
To him changing his mind from leave to stay I only suspect he's been promised some job in EU if we stay ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9zRYRkw80

What's your views and opinions ? :scratch
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: EU REFERENDUM

Post by James McGrath »

For me the issue with the European Union has always been that of national sovereignty. It's all very well talking about the impact on the economy but it is totally unpredictable what will happen either way. My real worry is what the EU will become.

Put it this way, if we're out then at least your children will be able to decide their own future rather than someone is Brussels making the decisions for them.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

There are pros and cons to both outcomes. I find it interesting that Cameron has tried to paint the Brexit bunch as anti immigration, when clearly they are anti uncontrolled immigration. Of course, both sides are making fantasy claims about the economy, but that seems to be all that Cameron and co. are campaigning for.

There is an arguably more interesting story here, though: the Remain and Exit campaigns are notable for becoming a Tory in-fighting pantomime. It is going to be fascinating to see how this pans out, as the rhetoric the campaigners use becomes increasingly more personal and derogatory. Irrespective of the outcome of the referendum, these guys are gonna have to collect themselves and work together in governing when the decision is made. Hard to see how that's gonna pan out. Notably, other political parties have been largely absent from the battle buses, instead letting the Conservative party inflict 'major' damage to itself. See what I did there? Arf.

Also, the prospect of an exit presents a thrilling post-referendum scenario. The Scottish parliament (keen to remain an EU member on its own terms) was told by Westminster not so long ago that "we're stronger together". If we find ourselves OUTSIDE of the EU, you can all but guarantee another vote for Scottish independence with EU membership as a separate member state at the core of Holyrood's campaign. Westminster's efforts will be ignored, Scotland will finally break away from London rule. No way will Cameron's lot win that argument.

Talking of which, in between sessions of inserting his smeg-smothered genitals into the decapitated corpse of a dead pig, he told us quite clearly that he would campaign for us to leave the EU if he didn't get the deal that he wanted when attempting to renegotiate the terms of Britain's membership. Now he is telling us that if we leave the EU, we face the thread of war, terrorism, economic collapse, yadda yadda. Whaaat? So one minute he says that he'd actually campaign to leave, then he tells us that leaving would be catastrophic for the nation? Go figure. The man is an oaf.

If any head of state/parliament thinks that leaving the EU would result in the continent suddenly becoming a massive war zone, then he or she would be nothing short of incompetent for allowing a vote on the issue to go ahead. Why would you allow your voteers to inflict war upon themselves? Exactly. It is a nonsense, as most of the campaign has been so far.

Outside of the Westminster bubble, MPs and journalists are often taken aback by just how hostile 'ordinary' folk are to immigrants and the lack of sovereignty that being a member of the EU delivers. It will be interesting to see how many voters want to leave, even if we end up staying (which I believe will be the outcome of the referendum, largely due to a fear of the unknown).

Worth remembering that this is a vote to leave the EU, not a vote to leave Europe. There is a distinction between the two (the latter isn't actually possible due to our location/geography!), and our opportunity to gain 'nil point' at the Eurovision Song Contest should remain unaffected by the result of the referendum.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm -politics...
Normally something I steer clear of.
I find it all very much a big boys club where they are usually only concerned about their own personal gain and progress up the moo-goo political ladder.

In my mind all uk politicians and their respective parties are the same dinosaurs, but under different coloured banners.

Now then E.U. - oh please !!

If the Brussels lot would just leave us to make and uphold our own rules and laws, then I would be happy.

Immigration - hmm - I see this as a version of what goes around comes around.
We invaded half the world and made them British territories... now they are making Britain theirs.

I am all in favour of long term visitors being required to have a basic grasp of verbal and written English.
Sadly about 10% of the British whites appear not to be able to read and write in anything but pigeon English or text speak.
(I am not having a pop at people who are dyslexic or have a similar medical cause for their poor spelling or diction).
So with that said, how can you ask that of foreign nationals.

Anyway - returning to the topic.
I am in favour of getting out of the EU governance of the UK.

But I don't mind being banded with a lot of fellow European people who's languages I was too lazy to learn properly at school.

Money wise - after a couple of years of "getting over" the decision, I don't think our financial position will be that badly affected.

Job wise - I work for the NHS which has been all but broken up by the UK government, and I have seen a real life reduction in earnings over the last eight years.
Being in or out of the EU will not change that.
My job is just as vulnerable either way.

Now you know why I don't talk politics.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

with you there Rob word for word
+1
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Oh look!
As if by coincidence - in the news today...

Europe wants to fine the UK another 600 + million for "bad accounting".

I think the sooner we are out, the sooner we can do the same as the French and tell Brussels to go pleasure themselves.

If there was ever any doubt about leaving, this should clarify things a little.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I'm out, agreed not enough facts being talked about but if you have a dig about you can find info.
Save us £55 million - a day as well!

Alan
joe cavalier sri

I'm out I love our nhs I'm sick of the health tourist's etc. And my kids future is more important here's a man that talks sense on the eu.
I think Cam'moron sold us out ages ago for his own gain I think the vote will be rigged in favour of in. My wife works in nhs in mental health department and the department is very under funded staff have to do work of 5 people now :tdown But Cam'moron has a job in eu if we stay in who would employ him if we left ? And Obama wants us to stay in so he can do a deal with eu so he can sue our government if we stop America from making money. But would Obama listen to us if we gave him advice NO !!! And the eu is people who make choices without accountability ? That's what democracy is all about being held to account for bad choices and the people can vote them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFt-pRIvL9E
joe cavalier sri

And as if by magic the vote to register site (Government ran) is now suffering technical problems as my wife has told me she isn't registered. How convenient is that :o
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think the 7th was the deadline to register, so the site has probably crashed due to heavy traffic.

And after that it will probably say - "Too late".

I don't know how that worked... I didn't register but my poling cards came a few weeks ago.

I just update my annual local electoral register every autumn.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Robsey wrote:I think the 7th was the deadline to register, so the site has probably crashed due to heavy traffic.

And after that it will probably say - "Too late".

I don't know how that worked... I didn't register but my poling cards came a few weeks ago.

I just update my annual local electoral register every autumn.

You only need to register if you have recently changed your address or this is the first time you have voted, i.e. just turned 18 or whatever.
If you were registered for the 2015 general election and haven't changed your address then you don't need to register.

If your poling cards have come through then you're fine.
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

Iv voted out. But do you actually think us as Britons have a say in what our country does, I'm pretty sure there is and was only one outcome wether we vote or not.
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

I filled in my postal vote today. I've been on the fence for a long time, but have voted to leave.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Oh look!
As if by coincidence - in the news today...

Europe wants to fine the UK another 600 + million for "bad accounting".

I think the sooner we are out, the sooner we can do the same as the French and tell Brussels to go pleasure themselves.

If there was ever any doubt about leaving, this should clarify things a little.
Huh, and to think the EU hasn't had it's accounts signed off for about 20 years if I'm not mistaken. It's so corrupt the auditors won't do it. I wouldn't usually bring politics into a car forum but it has to be said, i've been reading about politics for years, and all I can say is the EU is one of the most corrupt self-serving elite clubs ever. They hate Britain, they want it subsumed into the EU and never to be spoken of again, apart from being a region in the EU zones plan.

They said we wouldn't survive if we never joined the euro, we have, our economy always does better than the EU, and that's being shackled to it. They need us to prop up the failing economies and you can be sure just after the referendum they'll be telling us to hand over another couple of hundred billion.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

The leave campaign is hosting a big public meeting Mon evening in Newcastle with several of the heavyweights in attendance. Hats off to them, impression up to now has been that only M25 residents count. My gut feeling is that even if it could be shown that the economy would depress by a few % in (how many?) years - without the statistical "margin of error" which is never disclosed - there are sufficient non-economic factors to sway the vote against what the establishment, big business, the Americans, the European institutions - and the Scots - so obviously want us to do (stay in).

It is just shameful that from the start we have been unable to get an unbiased view from the Government, the Treasury & co.

It's a bit like the decision to have or not have an operation. You can put it off - the "risk free" option - but the illness is still there.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods