Was Cruise Control ever available?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Kinky John

Was Cruise Control ever available?

Post by Kinky John »

As the title suggests, i've always wondered if Cruise Control was ever available in any way on a Cavalier.

Was it possible to get it as an option at all? I don't have any brochures to check.

I think I can answer my own question with a big no based on the fact that I've never seen it in any Cavalier, but I haven't seen every single car, so it is just an assumption.

I'm quite surprised if it wasn't an option on say the CDX for example. I'm also a bit disappointed in Vauxhall if I'm being honest for not offering it on the built for purpose motorway muncher V6, especially the top of the range CDX version.

If not, does any one know why it wasn't, it seems conspicuous by it's absence to me?

Mark
Current Car: 1995 M Cavalier V6 CDX, Hatch, Automatic
ilovedmymantas

Re: Was Cruise Control ever available?

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Not as standard, afaik.
There is a how2 on retro-fitting one though,

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5205

matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Kinky John

Post by Kinky John »

Thanks Matt.

Yes I've seen the How2s and it's something I do intend to tackle, thanks for the link.

Just wondered if it was ever available from factory and invite a bit of good natured moaning for it's omission

Mark
Current Car: 1995 M Cavalier V6 CDX, Hatch, Automatic
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Just to confirm. Cruse control was never fitted from the factory on the Cavalier or it's Opel counterpart the Vectra a.

Never been that fussed about cruse control to be honest with you.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:Just to confirm. Cruse control was never fitted from the factory on the Cavalier or it's Opel counterpart the Vectra a.

Never been that fussed about cruse control to be honest with you.
"Credit crunch? What credit crunch?!"

I used to use it all the time on my Omega Elite. Kept fuel usage down while ensuring I stuck to motorway speed limits. No such luck with my Vectra VXR! I don't think I've used it once on that car, hahaha!

Cruise control from Omega B Elites can be retro-fitted to Cavaliers. I believe Squig (remember him?!) added the functionality to his CDX, and there is a guide on this website detailing what's required for the installation of cable and drive by wire options.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote:Cruise control from Omega B Elites can be retro-fitted to Cavaliers. I believe Squig (remember him?!) added the functionality to his CDX.
I remember. Seems like we have lost almost all of the people from back when the forum first started.
Especially now Gary is taking a break.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure Squig went off to live down under with his missus.

Not many regulars from the original members of 2008 now... hard to believe it was that long ago that I joined to be honest.

It was very much a northern club then with many admins and mods from Manchester, Stockport, Liverpool and Newcastle.

Returning to topic -

With regard to cruise control - there are V6 ones from the Omega-B and 4-pot ones from the Vectra-B. I plan to fit a Vectra-B set-up to my C20NE Cav when it comes back from refurb, but before it has all it's interior and trims fitted.

I am sure a V6 unit fitted to a 4-pot car will not allow cruise to engage below 50mph.
Or something like that...
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote: With regard to cruise control - there are V6 ones from the Omega-B and 4-pot ones from the Vectra-B. I plan to fit a Vectra-B set-up to my C20NE Cav when it comes back from refurb, but before it has all it's interior and trims fitted.

I am sure a V6 unit fitted to a 4-pot car will not allow cruise to engage below 50mph.
Or something like that...
V6 model doesn't get the correct pulses required to operate (I suffered with that issue for weeks!) However, the cables from a v6 model maybe better depending on the engine bay position of the motor and brackets.

Senetor / Carlton setups fit also - but look out of place and are VERY temperamental (dry joints usually).
also - try and get like for like such as auto, manual and so on. Wiring is slightly different on the plug end. Clutch switch's are better bought new rather than 2nd user due to brittle plastic brackets in the switch holder.

Oh, and make sure you use a 4 pin brake switch too.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Desy221

Post by Desy221 »

Thank you very much helped, for a long time I was looking for the answer to this question.
call Netspend