LED side light bulbs

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

paul_34

LED side light bulbs

Post by paul_34 »

Hi guys :)

I've just put two brand new headlamps on the old cav (genuine ebay bargains from last year)

I'm thinking of upgrading the T10 501 bulbs to LED. I've never bothered with the LED bulbs before so I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time?

Has anyone fitted them and are they any good? If so can you recommend some :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: LED side light bulbs

Post by Robsey »

I have never fitted T10 sidelight bulbs, but have seen a few in other vehicles.

From what I have seen, most have not given a good radiation of light - just a small pin speck of light in the side of the reflector.

I have tried T5s in my old Angel Eye halo's, and they seemed to provide an adequate spread of light. But definitely no brighter.

The left halo is ice-white 3 smd leds.
The right halo is 4 x T5 (286) capless bulbs.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

That's my experience, a very bright dot of light but overall not that good. A filament emits light in a good spread as opposed to the normal led which is very directional.
My old Triumph had 5w bayonet side light bulbs and I found some 10w halogen bulbs which did a great job.
Robsey, I love your wood effect bumper!!

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Wood effect bumper - ha ha!!

That is my kitchen work top - lol.

Strangely in this modern era of CAN error cancelling led's, I believe that the newer COB type led bulbs are much brighter but draw as much current as standard bulbs.
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

I'm kind of wishing I had gone for angel eyes now, I like the look of them.

I know the single leds won't be any good as they only focus the light forward. I'll have to have a play around I suppose and see what happens.

I have a love hate relationship with this car. I've had it 11 years and every year just before the MOT I'm telling myself I'm getting shot of it but when it passes I'm keeping it forever :lol:
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The cars themselves are usually very reliable and take virtually anything you throw at them. (Electrically and mechanically).

It is always the bodywork that sends them to the scrap yard.
Rusted sills, floor pans, chassis rails etc.

Most people on here have had other cars, but they just keep coming back to the Cavalier.

Regarding Angel Eyes, I think they are no longer manufactured.
This time last year both FK and Depo will still advertising them.
(You had to search for model to suit Vectra-A as both companies are / were German).

About 6 months ago I noticed that all the adverts had gone for the Vectra-A. :cry

Light output is no better, but they look a bit more modern / funkier. :cool
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

I replaced the main brake pipes in November, it still had the originals and also the original rear brake hoses on it. I thought I'd never get the unions undone but they came straight apart, even the pressure valves came off without a fight. It needs a good going over underneath really but I just never get the time to do it. She's not too bad though.

It's not going to last forever and I dread the day it reaches the end of its life. Its had one fail to start and one MOT failure in the 11 years I've had it. It just keeps on going.