1992 cavalier gsi steering wheel

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Veron700010

1992 cavalier gsi steering wheel

Post by Veron700010 »

Folks,
I just fulfilled a lifelong ambition which goes back to when I was 14 ( I'm now almost 40!) and that was to own a gsi cav. I have just bought one that has been restored but the steering wheel is bugging me. It's a standard 3 spoke wheel but it looks like one from a cav turbo. My gsi is March 1992. Can anyone tell me if the steering wheel in the late gsi's changed. Before taking mine off and replacing it with an older version I want to be sure that I'm not replacing what is in fact an original gsi steering wheel. This is what my steering wheel looks like except that it doesn't say turbo in the middle. It just has the Vauxhall logo.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r281 ... ccda90.jpg
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: 1992 cavalier gsi steering wheel

Post by James McGrath »

Hello, welcome to the forum! :wave
Congratulations on the new perchance.

According to the 2nd edition 1992 sales brochure (March 1992) this is the type you should have:
Note the redesigned round griffin badge, not square like the earlier ones.
It should also be leather covered, unlike the SRI version.
These specific wheels are rare as hens teeth.
You could always get an earlier one and swap the badges over I suppose.

The wheel you have shown (without the turbo badge in the middle) is just the standard non-airbag 3 spoke wheel fitted to the early facelift SRi, CD and Diplomat. They also did a non leather version fitted to the 8v 4x4, GLS, LS and Envoy.
Veron700010

Post by Veron700010 »

Thanks James,
And that's really helpful. Just as I thought. I've managed to source one in the picture below for £30. Picking it up this morning. So that should bring the cav back to fully standard! :P :thumb

Veron.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Hi, got any pics of your car ? you just need to copy & paste the IMG code into your posts for us to see them.
Veron700010

Post by Veron700010 »

I'll try to get some up soon. It's moonstone grey and I love it. It will be for summer Sunday use and is being kept in my heated garage the rest of the time. I've another couple of questions which hopefully someone can help me with.

Do the gsi have inner liners in the rear arches. Oddly the front part of both rear arches is lined but the rear part isn't. It looks a little bare and I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of theirs I could see. Also it seems my front fog lights don't work. It could be just the bulbs as the switch lights up on the dash ok. How do I get at them to change them? Is this a bumper off job? :?:

Thanks.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Neither of my GSI's have had arch liners in the rear, front fogs you need to have the side lights on for them to work you could check the relay in the fuse box, to change the lamps there is a little access panel on the bottom of the housing.
Veron700010

Post by Veron700010 »

Thanks Ian,
Good to hear that other gsi's are the same and it'll save my wallet a few quid too. I'll take a closer look at the fuse box and the bulbs. Do you still have your gsi's? :thumb