Why does google keep turning up ads from years ago?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

3cav3

Why does google keep turning up ads from years ago?

Post by 3cav3 »

Due to having my Volvo C 70 up for sale, I've started looking really hard for another cavalier. Searching Google tonight, I spotted one that seemed perfect. When I blew the photo up though I realised it was my car from the advert from when I purchased it a year ago!
Feel a right fool as have been leaving a few answer phone messages for people about their cavs and when I checked the small print some ads were going back to 2015! Oops!
cavalier1990

Re: Why does google keep turning up ads from years ago?

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote:Due to having my Volvo C 70 up for sale, I've started looking really hard for another cavalier. Searching Google tonight, I spotted one that seemed perfect. When I blew the photo up though I realised it was my car from the advert from when I purchased it a year ago!
Feel a right fool as have been leaving a few answer phone messages for people about their cavs and when I checked the small print some ads were going back to 2015! Oops!
When you are in Google with search results returned, then go to the tools tab on the right hand side under the search text box, click that and two little tabs will appear on left side, select the any time drop down box and filter by last 24H/Day/Week etc. that will filter results.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

cavalier1990 wrote:When you are in Google with search results returned, then go to the tools tab on the right hand side under the search text box, click that and two little tabs will appear on left side, select the any time drop down box and filter by last 24H/Day/Week etc. that will filter results.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea you could do that :oops:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:When you are in Google with search results returned, then go to the tools tab on the right hand side under the search text box, click that and two little tabs will appear on left side, select the any time drop down box and filter by last 24H/Day/Week etc. that will filter results.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea you could do that :oops:
No worries glad to be of help. It's very handy to get rid of all those old ads isn't it? The default search results Google returns is based on keyword match, not age of post hence the need to filter by last X days/months.

You can get really clever with search results using search logic to laser refine results. For instance:

If you put in:
"vauxhall cavalier" OR "opel vectra a" AND "for sale"

It will return all results with only those keywords in quotes, so either a cavy OR opel vectra with "for sale" included.