Pictures of my 2 Cavaliers at last

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

bobthevoice

Pictures of my 2 Cavaliers at last

Post by bobthevoice »

ImageImage

ImageImage
3cav3

Re: Pictures of my 2 Cavaliers at last

Post by 3cav3 »

Both look nice cars.
T1BBST3R

Post by T1BBST3R »

Red one is looking smart!

I had a red 1.8 gls with 175 r 14 wheels, the rolling noise gave a really quiet drive and those old engines sound really nice.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

3cav3 Thanks for the comment. yeah they are both in great condition with no rust to speak of the Rioja red gls drives very well and has 60k on the clock. the timing belt kit and water pump will be changed within the next 2 weeks or so.
it is free revving and a delight to drive with the interior unmarked,

Bob
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

TIBBST3R ......The Mexico Red GL 1990 has only 36k on the clock with one owner from new full supplying dealer service history never driven in the rain garaged all it's life and the bodywork is quite simply incredible foe 27 years old. there is a very small bit of damage to the top corner of the drivers door that will be repaired in the coming weeks.
the timing belt kit and water pump where changed last week. now being honest,this car does not feel as lively as the 93 GLS and that's surprising as i would have thought that not having a cat fitted? it would be up slightly in horsepower. but it could be that it just needs to be used to loosen things up and i intent to use it daily for a while to see if it does improve.
in a way it kind of feels like a new car that needs to be run in. anyways thanks for your comment and more updates as and when.

Bob
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Lovely! Why did we (not us) let these disappear? Nice to drive, easy to maintain and compared to today's offerings, simple.
Get the wax going and they should serve you well!

Alan
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

It's amazing how many low mileage cavaliers are left, as Alan says it's such a shame that most these cars have just vanished. I love the way they drive and the simple mechanics on them mean there's less to go wrong. Don't even mention to me dual mass flywheels!!!
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

mk3 Alan.......funny you mention the polishing i'm waiting delivery of a polisher as we speak.just a cheepo to see how it goes and if it's carp? i'll buy a proper one :roll:

Bob
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Bob, funny you should mention polishers! I bought a Challenge DA polisher from Argos years ago (£15) never used it till a couple of weeks ago. My guinea pig was my swirl laden Astra.
Fantastic! Not quick but most impressed, used Farcela G3 compound (very fine) then finished off with a wax by hand.
So impressed I might have a go at the CD!

Alan
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

3cav3....... i prefer older cars for their simplicity and maintaining them with nowt more than a basic tool-kit .i like the fact of survivor cars that whilst run of the mill in their day? they are well capable for todays needs and comfy as well. i own 2012m/y Saab95 TTid Aero and it is a stunning looking huge vehicle,great on a run or motorway but a right burger in the city.....you feel every cigarette end on the road due to the 19" wheels and 40 profile tyres. so i use the Cavaliers more than anything else most days and i love driving them. :D

Bob
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

3cav3......Crikey! that's the very machine i bought£16:50 delivered from the bay. so it sounds capable then if a bit slow. that's good. and tbh? it aint something you use daily or a proper machine would be the best bet and the Farecla G3 ? from memory that's been around a good while and has always had a good reputation so i'll no doubt get e tub of that too.

Bob
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

They both look really nice. :thumb

What are your plans for them?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Thr H reg is the first factory built 20NE that I have ever seen.
A very nice example of GLS goodness.

Lots of nice electrical options too including electric mirrors and factory fit anti-theft warning system.

(You will be pleased to know that it is also listed on EPC4, so should be listed on Ecat24.
- quite unusual for a 1990 vehicle).

The later car is very nice too.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

James McGrath..... thanks for the comment they are both in very good/exceptional condition given their years. the 1990 is is the better of the two in that there is only a small piece if bodywork to be done to the top corner of the drivers door i.e. it has been caught on something the gave it a small kink but nothing that would take a shop more than an hour to rectify. :thumb
i will source a radio cd player to replace the radio cassette. i will also give the car a good mop and polish and that will be it ready to use and enjoy. :D

Bob
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

JamesMcGrath.....sorry should have said the 1993 GLS passed it.s MOT 6 weeks ago +/- and it drives like a dream with no issues whatsoever.
i will be having the n/s front wing top resprayed(blown in/blended) due to a few too many small scratches when kept in former owners garage.

Bob
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Robsey......thanks for your comments . the car is badge'd and registered as a a GL and as it is a very early MK3 there are no side impact bars fitted making the door closing a lot lighter in that, when compared to the 1993 GLS? the early car door feels much lighter with less of a thunk when closing. there is also no fitment or facility to fit hear headrests as in the GLS.
but,the overall condition in this cars bodyshell/paintwork is incredible as is its interior.
The GLS drives like it wants to be driven. it has no issues whatsoever. the timing belt kit/ water-pump are due to be changed within the next couple of weeks.
to sum up i got very lucky buying the 93 car in such superb condition with no corrosion. and without doubt being the new custodian of the 90 car ? i am delighted. :D
So you mention EPC4 andEcat24. please excuse my ignorance , can you enlighten me on what they mean please. :?

Bob
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

bobthevoice wrote:mk3 Alan.......funny you mention the polishing i'm waiting delivery of a polisher as we speak.just a cheepo to see how it goes and if it's carp? i'll buy a proper one :roll:

Bob
I bought one of these and couldn't really get the hang of it. I ended up with wax all over the car. I think I used too much water and wax, think you are only meant to have 4 dots on the centre of the pad and spray with water bottle lightly, plus don't use it in the sun light or heated by sun panels, shouldn't be hard in UK!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

bobthevoice wrote:Robsey......thanks for your comments . the car is badge'd and registered as a a GL and as it is a very early MK3 there are no side impact bars fitted making the door closing a lot lighter in that, when compared to the 1993 GLS? the early car door feels much lighter with less of a thunk when closing. there is also no fitment or facility to fit hear headrests as in the GLS.
but,the overall condition in this cars bodyshell/paintwork is incredible as is its interior.
The GLS drives like it wants to be driven. it has no issues whatsoever. the timing belt kit/ water-pump are due to be changed within the next couple of weeks.
to sum up i got very lucky buying the 93 car in such superb condition with no corrosion. and without doubt being the new custodian of the 90 car ? i am delighted. :D
So you mention EPC4 andEcat24. please excuse my ignorance , can you enlighten me on what they mean please. :?

Bob
Here:

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/types/1/39/

You can put your VIN number in but it seems to cut down a lot of the parts available so I just look using part no search usually, although putting VIN in will give you build sheet of the car. It's a good site for searching for a diagram or confirming a part number, like you see something on ebay, you put the number in ecat and it will tell you what it is for (to a point) and a diagram. You can't use it to buy parts though.

Tidy set of cavs there, liking the low mile old style!
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Cavalier1990......i know what you say about getting the hang of using a polisher there is quite a learning curve involved when you first try them. i was lucky as in my younger years as a mechanic, i worked with a few old school panelbeater/painters.these guys where artisans and had learned their craft using cellulose paints etc and 2 pack paint was unknown.
i learned a hell of a lot from them including flattening and polishing methods using a Rupes polisher. it is and always was a messy task so when the time comes. dressing in old clobber and overalls is a must. and thanks for the EPClink.

Bob
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

bobthevoice wrote:Cavalier1990......i know what you say about getting the hang of using a polisher there is quite a learning curve involved when you first try them. i was lucky as in my younger years as a mechanic, i worked with a few old school panelbeater/painters.these guys where artisans and had learned their craft using cellulose paints etc and 2 pack paint was unknown.
i learned a hell of a lot from them including flattening and polishing methods using a Rupes polisher. it is and always was a messy task so when the time comes. dressing in old clobber and overalls is a must. and thanks for the EPClink.

Bob
Good stuff Bob that you have that background knowledge it's priceless. I worked as a mechanic too and always watched the panel beaters and spray painters do miracle work on bodywork (Ford Dealership), I always wished I'd been a panel beater, it's like an art. I just read the thread in for sale about where your car came from. A credit to the owner's family seeking out someone to look after the car rather than trade it in or sell it so some madman who is going to destroy it. Such a relief it's been saved.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Cavalier 1990.....I'm looking forward to putting it back on the road and i will be getting it in for an MOT in a couple of weeks after i make sure it will pass :thumb ....hopefully lol. i will tax and insure it for July all things being equal.
my 93 GLS will be getting used by my brother who is due to return from Aus. anytime soon. i feel a responsibility on me to look after this 1990 GL given the family entrusted the car to me, i.e. being a transport engineer since my apprenticeship started with Peter Holmes Motors Ltd BMC dealers in Partick in 1969. i continued in this profession till Oct 1999 working in many dealers and with fleet operators gaining experience on HGV.s my last position being Service Manager for Turner Hire Drive based in Glasgow. i left that position after 10 years due to my wife's ill health and we moved to the Canary islands for the best part of 14 years..........that's where Bobthevoice comes in. i became an entertainer doing the rounds in Hotels, Pubs and Clubs. it was an incredible journey singing 6 nights a week for all that time. so here we are back home the past 6 years and i look after my disabled wife full time. i have been very lucky as music/singing was my first passion and engineering was my second so to always earn a living doing what i love? i wouldn't call that work at all, i call that damn well lucky.

Bob
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Just a wee update.....the '93 GLS had the timing belt kit and water-pump changed yesterday so no more current concerns to address other then a small piece of paint rectification on the N/S front wing top.
just noting that when the timing belt cover was removed it looked like the belt kit and pump was fairly new and i had to decide whether to renew or not?........but,as i knew the car had only travelled 1500 miles in the last 10 years prior to my ownership and i had no documentation to give me a date of purchase for the parts?,i really only had one choice and that was to fit the new belt kit and pump.so out with the old. as it transpired these parts where cheap pattern parts with no manufacturers name on them and in fact the water-pump seal was liberally coated in silicone (to assist in sealing? :scratch ) who knows.anyway all new GM parts fitted now and confidence restored. :thumb

Bob
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Both look very nice mate, especially the early model.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Cavalier 342 thanks for the comment. i got lucky....twice i think lol. they're both very good looking cars. i'm looking forward to July when i take the red GLi off sorn and start to use it.
and i'm hoping it frees up enough to be as good a driving car as the GLS.

Bob
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

bobthevoice wrote:Just a wee update.....the '93 GLS had the timing belt kit and water-pump changed yesterday so no more current concerns to address other then a small piece of paint rectification on the N/S front wing top.
just noting that when the timing belt cover was removed it looked like the belt kit and pump was fairly new and i had to decide whether to renew or not?........but,as i knew the car had only travelled 1500 miles in the last 10 years prior to my ownership and i had no documentation to give me a date of purchase for the parts?,i really only had one choice and that was to fit the new belt kit and pump.so out with the old. as it transpired these parts where cheap pattern parts with no manufacturers name on them and in fact the water-pump seal was liberally coated in silicone (to assist in sealing? :scratch ) who knows.anyway all new GM parts fitted now and confidence restored. :thumb

Bob
It's always worth doing timing belt if you don't know how old the parts are, and when it was last changed. they can perish with age and then snap. wise choice you replaced with GM parts, there is still many GM parts you can buy cheaply and easily for the cav. Good luck with MOT (that is the 90 red one?), should sail through, and you don't need to worry too much about emissions too much if it's the pre-cat one :)