New cav turbo

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

vaux16v

New cav turbo

Post by vaux16v »

Hi all. Just bought a satin red cav 4x4 Turbo. Need a few bits and pieces to leave right.

1st. Does anyone know or were i could get standard front and rear springs or is all cav springs the same.

2nd. Need a aerial motor and aerial with the rubber seal.

3rd. Need a lambda sensor the long cable 1. Is ther any difference between the cheap and dear ones of ebay.

This is only the start of the questions. :scratch :scratch
All help will be appreciated. Thanks
Cavalier342

Re: New cav turbo

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hi, congratulations on your purchase. I believe from memory that the Turbos had a slightly lowered ride height from other models, and from what I've heard, never buy a cheap lambda sensor, as they don't work properly, always buy a genuine item made by a reputable manufacturer, not a cheap knock-off item.

Good luck with your new project.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Thanks for getting back to me. Was thinking why the price difference. Vauxhall quoted me £169 + vat and cheap 1 on eBay £19. Vauxhall far to dear wil go somewhere in between. Any reputable manufacturers recommend. Tink it goin to be very hard to get original springs.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

For older models, main dealers will always overcharge you for even basic parts, due to the lack of availability of the parts, it seems like a total rip-off from the buyer's point of view. And it is. Best option is to search around various auto parts sites, I can't recommend any certain parts as I've never had to buy a lambda sensor or had a Turbo myself, but I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. But's it's always best to do your research prior to buying.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Congrats mate on the turbo ... and so the journey starts.... out comes the wallet!?!

I too have turbo 4x4 in satin red... superb car of the time and still is!!!

Parts wise, pretty hard to come buy. The dealers are expensive... that's if the still have them in stock.

I must have phoned a dozen and even looked up some old dealer contacts from uni days ... managed to speak to a good few people.

If they can they will try to get the parts from other sites, but largely depends on parts manager.

I've tried my local delear, ... and they stock zero parts for cavalier.

Ive been lucky as as I managed to pick up some old new fm stock on my last few work travels... outside the uk but mines off the road now

Try face book, cavalier turbo and some of the Vauxhall sites. Where possible try to Stick to dealer parts, it helps to avoid knock off probs.

There's are good few experienced cav turbo owners and will be only glad to lend a hand or two ... most have regular meets....

Also on a side note - give the car to a good experienced cavalier mechanic that you can trust and knows his/her stuff.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Will definitely fo research on the parts as goin to keep the car for a very long time.

The wallet has been well emptied with buying the car. Hopefully not need much for the car as it was built last year with a respray tho it will be painted next year again and wasn't built up great.
Shell is ment to original with 56000 miles and ya would know ther was no welding.

Hope the cav turbo men will be great help to me as never had c20let just c20xe. Springs is my main objective at the min.

Thanks all
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm going to be totally honest here and please don't be offended. But if you buy a Turbo, you will have to spend cash on parts, it's not like buying a basic spec 1.6 L and keeping it going with bits for a fiver, Turbos need a lot of attention and care, you need to buy premium oils, other running fluids, very good standard spare parts, especially suspension wise. Emptying your wallet on a car is no good unless you have a budget for servicing/maintenance/repairs for the future. I've learned that the hard way several times. Do not be tempted to buy cheap parts because they are cheap, the Turbos are considered to be classic performance cars and should be treated as such.

Regards.
Previous:

Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Well said mate - I'd agree totally

I've had gsi 4x4 back in the days.., it cost me a packed. Although my mates, mechanics etc helped me maintain the car ... but the head gaskets went and cost me a packet and I eventually had enough and sold it for peanuts.

At the moment I have a gsi and turbo and yes its worth keeping a separate kitty
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Yes i understand what you say and wel said at that. Im going to look after this car i knw i will spend alot of money threw time but it will be worth it as looking for one on and off as 10 years. When ya from Northern Ireland they are hard to come by. Lol. I will do most work myself as have a bit off mechanical experience. It seems to be very hard to get parts as like the aerial and rear drives as car only is 2 wheel drive.
Thanks for all you help any more is appreciated.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Has anyone got any good manufacturers for the lambda sensor.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Bosch.

They were the original manufacturer for the Vauxhall branded parts.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Cheers. Will look them up and get one bought.
Ads

Post by Ads »

Hi mate, welcome to cav T ownership, I have had mine over 11yrs now, I bought s lambda sensor for mine from the local factors, it was a bosch item, cost about 60 pounds, works fine no problems, what is the reg of the cav, I'm a member of the cavalier turbo owners cub and know

of a lot of cavs and there history
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Was trying to get on to the Cav Turbo owners club but the forum seems to be down. £60 for a bosch lambda sensor sounds good. I must try my local motor factors. Would you know were id get two rear drives springs.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I regularly use these two sites...

1 - ECAT24 for finding part numbers.
On the down side it is a French site so often provides left hand drive vehicle part numbers.
Press GB in the top right corner for English language.

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/types//39/

2 - GENUINE PARTS SEARCH for genuine dealer parts for older models.

http://www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk/

I used to use LMF Vauxhall, but my last Lambda sensor from them only lasted 18 months.

For more common / generic parts you can still go to your normal dealer.
Such as door pins, bump stop rubbers and commonly replaced service spare parts and sensors.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Thanks for letting me knw that. Wil be on it flat out. Need a set of rear drives if anyone knws were there is a set at.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I presume you mean rear road springs.
I checked part numbers,
They are not available from GPS anymore.

I got mine from Deamon tweaks, so that I could do the standard sports lowering of 30 / 40mm from standard spec ride height.

I used Spax red springs and Bilstein dampers.
A little harsh at first but much nicer now after 5 months of settling.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

I actually ment to say drive shafts for the rear 4x4. But thanks for the springs advice as need them as well. Car come with all the 4x4 boxes and prop shaft etc but no drives.
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

What bout a tech 1 diagnostic scanner. Are they still about for sale.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

vaux16v wrote:What bout a tech 1 diagnostic scanner. Are they still about for sale.

Your best bet for a tech1 is eBay. You can normally find one for sale but the main thing to look out for is what cartridges it come with.
You'll need one which has the correct program on it for your car.

I recently got one myself so I can help, where are you based?
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Im in Northern Ireland. The wiring on the car is a pure mess so prob be needed to get as be using it alot unfortunately. Whats the price range of one.
Ads

Post by Ads »

vaux16v wrote:Was trying to get on to the Cav Turbo owners club but the forum seems to be down. £60 for a bosch lambda sensor sounds good. I must try my local motor factors. Would you know were id get two rear drives springs.
Hi mate the cav turbo site is not down, try www.cavalier-turbo.com a lot of people on there with a lot of knowledge about these cars, proberbly been through all the same problems that you are having
vaux16v

Post by vaux16v »

Cheers mate. Never even knew bout these Just registered ther so looking forward to getting on to the forums.