Dashcam

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

N-Dog

Dashcam

Post by N-Dog »

I've just bought myself a dashcam.

I've been toying with the idea for 6 months or more, and watching an article on tonights The One Show has spurred me into action. I've had a look at tech review sites, and I've chosen a Nextbase 412GW. It's mainly for my daily driver, but it is transferrable between cars, so I will put it in the Cav when I take it out. I think sooner or later, we'll all of us have one.

Next job for the Cav is the underbody coating, when the weather is better.

My Dad passed away on the 27th; I was so choked that I momentarily put my Cavalier up for sale ( I wonder how many of you spotted it? ) thinking I couldn't enjoy much out of life anymore, but that was a knee-jerk reaction, and I've deleted the adverts. Looking forward to taking it out in the (hopefully) nicer weather to come..... but not before I give it a good wash. Due to the bad weather, I haven't washed it since Boxing Day, and last time I took it out, it gained a spray covering of salted / gritted road spray. That will hopefully be coming off this weekend!

Happy Cavving y'all :thumb
1995 (M) Cavalier 2.0 16v GLS saloon
dorsetdave

Re: Dashcam

Post by dorsetdave »

Hope that life gets easier and that 2019 brings plenty of Cavalier enjoyment.
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

My condolences for your loss.
I can't imagine how you feel just now but I'm sure you're focus on the cav will help the healing a little.

N-Dog wrote:I've just bought myself a dashcam.

I've been toying with the idea for 6 months or more, and watching an article on tonights The One Show has spurred me into action. I've had a look at tech review sites, and I've chosen a Nextbase 412GW. It's mainly for my daily driver, but it is transferrable between cars, so I will put it in the Cav when I take it out. I think sooner or later, we'll all of us have one.
I've had the same one for a few months.

I'm a big dashcam fan, I've used them in various guises, for over 6 years.
Early ones were 720p. They were ok, close number plates were readable but 20ft was a problem & traffic lights flashed a techno beat :lol:
My 30fps 1080p's from china lasted around 2 years each but they did get some decent clips (not accidents just a**holes ) and didn't record my speed etc. :thumb

The 412GW video quality is very good at 1440/1080p 60fps/1080p but I'm not a fan of it logging everything even when you switch settings off.
If you're a careful driver it probably won't matter but I must admit occasionally I get a bit 'compulsive'

The magnetic mount is brilliant. It's so easy to remove and slip into a pocket etc. - no more broken mounts.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Really sorry to hear about your dad.
I saw your Cav up for sale and wondered why.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

Thanks James. Yes, it's off sale now. It is, and always was, a keeper. Like I say, a knee-jerk reaction. I did have a guy interested in it, a bit of a Vauxhall nut, who owns TWO Lotus Carltons and a number of sporty Vectras. I think in the end he went for a Calibra V6 instead of mine... thankfully!
1995 (M) Cavalier 2.0 16v GLS saloon