Our holiday in Rhyl

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

Our holiday in Rhyl

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Not the most inspiring of titles but it is late!

Had a good week with great weather and managed to get a couple of dashcam screenshots of older cars, I guess most of them have gone into hibernation now.

It's about 650 mile round trip and the car behaved pretty well. :D I was getting very occasional clutch slip around 200 miles down so I treated it gently, I'd adjusted the cable the week before so it was a bit worrying.

Around 50 miles from home on an pitch-black motorway I saw a lorry on the hard shoulder in the distance with hazards on, so I pulled out into the middle lane, as you do.

Too late to avoid it, there was a bit of lorry tyre in that lane and I drove straight over it. That was a bit bumpy!
I managed to avoid the second hazard, it looked pretty solid at just under a mile a minute :o

When I pulled in to check for damage the engine cut out? It must have had a little panic attack itself :lol:
Started straight away again though :)

Two other cars were damaged, a vw and a merc.

Both had smashed front spoilers, one missing the grille - paper thin plastics :roll:

The cav on the other hand didn't fare too badly on the surface.
My front number plate's cracked and the bracket for the towing electrics is bent right back. I'll get the underside checked tomorrow.

https://vimeo.com/361679881

Apologies for the splash screens, I'm working on it..
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Our holiday in Rhyl

Post by Robsey »

I presume it had only just happened, otherwise the Highways Agency would have altered the overhead gantry signs to slow your speed and watch for debris.

Something to be said for these older bombproof (ish) cars.

Glad to hear that you had a good trip.