Which Cav's have Air Condition

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

blowfelt

Which Cav's have Air Condition

Post by blowfelt »

Please, could someone tell me which cavalier's (models) have air condition.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Which Cav's have Air Condition

Post by Robsey »

James is your man for this,

But I am guessing at :-
Standard on the Diplomat.

Probably standard on the CD / CDX and GSi.

And a cost option on any other car.

Standard across the whole range in Middle-Eastern territories. (Egypt, Lebanon etc).
blowfelt

Post by blowfelt »

Thanks.

I have just contacted someone who is selling a CD,but his CD doesn't have air con.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Right, first off, I will say there is a big difference in spec between the European Opel Vectra and the UK Luton built Cavaliers, especially when it comes to Air-Con.
I'm only going to talk about the UK Vauxhall Cavalier here.
I have seen a 1.6 LS with air-con before but I think it was a rebadged Opel and an extremely rare (probably one off) example. That spec was certainly never offered commercially in the UK.
Anyway, my point is that there are exceptions to what I'm about to say but they are extremely rare/Not official UK spec.

A brief history of air conditioning on the Vauxhall Cavalier.
- Air-con was first offered in the Cavalier range for the 1991 model year. It was first offered only as an optional extra on the GSi and GSi 4x4 only.
- For the 1992 model year, the first model that had air-con as standard was released, the Diplomat. Air-con remained an option on the GSi for this year.
- When the Cavalier was facelifted for the 1993 model year, this system remained the same; Standard on Diplomat and option on the new Turbo model.
- For the 1994 model year (August 1993), the option of air conditioning was expanded when Air-con was made available (at extra cost) on the 'V6' model. Again it remained an option on the Turbo and standard on the Diplomat
- In April 1994 the Cavalier range was shaken up quite a bit; alongside the introduction of the new ecotec 2.0 engine, the CD, Diplomat and V6 models were all amalgamated into the new CDX trim. On the CDX, air conditioning was made standard if you chose the 2.5 V6 or 2.0 ecotec petrol engines. Air-con was not available if you opted for diesel power on your CDX however. Once more, air-con remained an option on the Turbo.
- It took until the 1995 model year, the last year of Cavalier production, for air conditioning to become available on other models. It remained standard on petrol equipped CDX cavaliers but became available as an optional extra on the LS, GLS and SRI but only if you specified the 2.0 ecotec or 2.5 V6 engines.
Unfortunately however, the turbo model was axed for this year and with it ended the availability of fully independent rear suspension on Cavaliers.