Devaluation

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Mk3alan

Devaluation

Post by Mk3alan »

James, interesting information on Cavalier selling prices.
My 1990 CD then was sold for £14140 according to the July selling prices and I bought it, from a Bank Manager who had it as his Company car, in the October of 1996.
So it was 6 years old when I bought it and I paid £3950 (still got the cut out ad!)
That's an awful lot of value loss in 6 years!
I think with current vehicles the MINI holds its value better than most.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Devaluation

Post by Robsey »

Indeed, Cavaliers were so plentiful at one time, that they were not seen as anything particularly special.

Although, if kept in good condition, yours will easily out-strip the price you paid for it all those years ago.

Especially if you try to sell it in Ireland for some bizarre reason. All Cavaliers command a higher resale value in Ireland.

I bought our 1994 1.8 LSi at 15 months old for a princely £7,500 in December 1995.
Probably about £5,500 cheaper than the price new.

Although I have had more than my money's worth out of the car over the years.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I'm in the cheap seats, I've never had a car newer than 10 years old.

I bought a 19 y.o. cdx to replace a 20 y.o. sri, It cost me 380 quid ( if you discount the 200 it cost me for the train and petrol back! ) in around 2014.

I'm surprised the sri wasn't closer to the cdx price, the cdx may have more toys but the close-ratio gearbox on the sri more than made up for it!

It's keeping it in good condition that I struggle with- I'm on a downer just now because I need to replace both sills and a rear arch too no thanks to someone being paid for work that wasn't done :x .

Including paint and blending It's a bit over a grand :o .
Wasn't expecting that but I've been saving since I got the car and can cover it, dashing my dreams of a respray and going to shows for a while longer. One day........

I don't grudge a penny I've spent on my car, I enjoy driving something different.
I have learned, for me, it's best not to add up the receipts though. I love the car too much to apply logic :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Mk3 Cavaliers were actually considered one of the best in their class for resell value at the time.
Like Robsey said, there were a lot around.

My parents bought my LS for £6000 at 3 years old in 1996 and that was with around 40,000 miles on the clock.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

ilovedmymantas wrote:

dashing my dreams of a respray and going to shows for a while longer. One day........
You can still come and join us at the shows and meets.
Very few cars are ever close to perfect.

It is all about meeting like-minded people.
Sharing anecdotes and putting faces to names.

As I say to members on my other forum.
We are not here to judge. Just share the love and knowledge of our on-going projects.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Robsey wrote: You can still come and join us at the shows and meets.
Very few cars are ever close to perfect.

It is all about meeting like-minded people.
Sharing anecdotes and putting faces to names.

As I say to members on my other forum.
We are not here to judge. Just share the love and knowledge of our on-going projects.

Couldn't agree more.
The Vauxhall community is probably one of the least snobbish out there.
The main thing is that it's still on the road.

By the way, I've just ordered another 3 price lists form eBay; November 1992 (facelift launch price), March 1994 (standardisation of ABS) and October 1994 (because it was cheep :lol: ).
I've also got my eye on a coupe of others too. :D

I'll update the thread once they arrive.