CDX/SRI Spec Trim

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

GP123

CDX/SRI Spec Trim

Post by GP123 »

Hi all,

Does anybody know their cav trims here?

Are the front and rear bumpers on a CDX model the same as an SRI Facelift model?

Thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: CDX/SRI Spec Trim

Post by Robsey »

The trims are the same shape, but the coloured beading is different.

The CDX should be chrome coloured.
The SRi is a bright red colour.

Not certain, but the Diplomat may also have chrome coloured trim strip.

All other models have no trim strip.
And of course the GSi bumper shape is completely different to all other models.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Yeah thats what i thought mate. Thats the only difference then? In terms of rub strips on doors are they seated the same etc?

The actual bumpers are the same also?
Thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There may be VERY minor shape / profile differences, but overall height and lengths and trim strip locations in relation to panels should be the same for SRi, CDX and Diplomat.

All others have a simpler, flatter profile.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

OK Thanks. The front and back bumpers of the CDX and the SRi look the same to me also. The only difference is the SRi sideskirts then?

Thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Side skirts and boot / hatch spoiler on the SRi

Be aware though that the rear bumpers may be slightly different in width between hatch and saloon.

And the rear spoilers are definately different between hatch and saloon.

The front end is no issue.
Assuming you are talking "Facelift" Cavalier.
The pre-facelift bumpers have additional "corner mouldings" on SRi.

I do like the SRi red striping too.
At worst, some slightly fade to a pinker shade of red.
It makes a fantastic colour contrast for almost all body colours.
I especially love the SRi trims on Polar White or Smoke Grey Cavaliers.

Sadly the chrome strip can wear to an off-white shade of bare plastic.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suppose, you could use trims from either trim level.

The bumper strips can be unclipped, repainted, and then refitted.
Just do not lose or break the little black end clips, as they are no longer available.

I would use a plastic paint such as Plastikote, as it is better able to flex and stretch / shrink than standard aerosol paints.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:I suppose, you could use trims from either trim level.

The bumper strips can be unclipped, repainted, and then refitted.
I would use a plastic paint such as Plastikote, as it is better able to flex and stretch / shrink than standard aerosol paints.
I can't vouch for the sri door rub strips because I never needed to remove one :D .
I did think about buying aftermarket strips to stick on at the time but berry blast kept me happy enough.

The cdx ones, to my surprise, are actually chrome - a pressed metal strip with a channel that seems to be moulded into the plastic.

I think Robsey's covered pretty much everything ( :thumb ) so I'll add a few pics.

facelift sri & cdx

The other difference at the rear is the number plate trim/surround that the cdx has

sri

I never liked the boot spoiler. It looked great from the distance but close up it stood too proud of the rear wing for my liking.
I'd happily fit sri skirts to my cdx though!
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

With regard to the chrome strips.
I think the side strips are chrome,
But
I have seen a few faded bumper strips.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks lads.

The 2.5 V6 CDX Model is a 5 stud, this limits the choice of wheels unfortunately... what would be needed to change this to 4 stud?

Thanks.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Complete rear hub assembly normally.

Includes hub, backplate, disc, calliper carrier.

The rear beam, callipers and brake cables should all be the same.
Fitted to all 2.0 litre Cavaliers.

(1.8 and smaller have drums).

You can also get 4-stud disc-brake assemblies from Astra-G, Zafira-A and Vectra-B with a 1.6 engine.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:With regard to the chrome strips.
I think the side strips are chrome,
The thought did cross my mind that the red side strips may be a rubbery bit (technical term :lol: ) applied over a chrome one because I don't think they'd make a separate mould just for sri's :scratch.
Robsey wrote:But
I have seen a few faded bumper strips.
Mine haven't got that far yet (but I have seen white ones), they're kind of lightly mottled brown dots just now that actually makes the plastic strip look like it's rusting!
I've got 2 new gm front strips to fit, once I can source a rear one.
GP123 wrote:The 2.5 V6 CDX Model is a 5 stud, this limits the choice of wheels unfortunately... what would be needed to change this to 4 stud?
If my understanding is correct you have a V6 cdx that you want to look like an sri? (Don't blame you :lol: )

Rather than change everything to 4-stud, which is a downgrade for such a heavy and powerful car (V6, aircon, full electrics etc. and would probably invalidate insurance if you had an accident), have a look into getting 4 stud wheels (sri I assume) plugged and re-drilled to 5 stud. They're hidden under the hub cover anyway so won't be seen.

I was looking into this a few years ago so don't have any current links or costings unfortunately
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Rather than change everything to 4-stud, which is a downgrade for such a heavy and powerful car (V6, aircon, full electrics etc. and would probably invalidate insurance if you had an accident), have a look into getting 4 stud wheels (sri I assume) plugged and re-drilled to 5 stud. They're hidden under the hub cover anyway so won't be seen.

I was looking into this a few years ago so don't have any current links or costings unfortunately
Completely agree here. It's a very popular mod to upgrade to 5 stud hubs on cavaliers.
I really wouldn't recommend that you downgrade to 4 stud.

Did you know that they did a 5 stud version of the popular fan blade alloys as fitted to 1993-1994 Cavalier 16v SRI?
They are very rare as they were only fitted to the 'V6' trim spec and 'GLS' models with the V6 engine from mid 1993 to 1995. Might be a good option for you.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Thanks for the replies. What about Hub adaptors? would that be an option.. as in 5x100 to 4x100?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think the concern is which engine is fitted to the car.

As it is a V6 lump (2.5) then we think that the 4 stud alloys may not be a "safe" conversion.

The V6 is a very heavy powerful lump, and is fitted with uprated suspension, front subframe and various other 'stronger' components.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

James McGrath wrote:
ilovedmymantas wrote:Rather than change everything to 4-stud, which is a downgrade for such a heavy and powerful car (V6, aircon, full electrics etc. and would probably invalidate insurance if you had an accident), have a look into getting 4 stud wheels (sri I assume) plugged and re-drilled to 5 stud. They're hidden under the hub cover anyway so won't be seen.

Completely agree here. It's a very popular mod to upgrade to 5 stud hubs on cavaliers.
I really wouldn't recommend that you downgrade to 4 stud.

Did you know that they did a 5 stud version of the popular fan blade alloys as fitted to 1993-1994 Cavalier 16v SRI?
They are very rare as they were only fitted to the 'V6' trim spec and 'GLS' models with the V6 engine from mid 1993 to 1995. Might be a good option for you.
The Cesaro V6 had 5 stud wheels with the 6 spoke alloys again hard to find though.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Robsey wrote:I think the concern is which engine is fitted to the car.

As it is a V6 lump (2.5) then we think that the 4 stud alloys may not be a "safe" conversion.

The V6 is a very heavy powerful lump, and is fitted with uprated suspension, front subframe and various other 'stronger' components.
Have done a bit of research on this.. custom hub adaptors would be the following to do this.. (if im correct! lol)

For 5x110 it has a centre bore of 65.1

and a 4x100 alloy has a centre bore size of 56.6

However these "adaptors" come with 15mm or 20mm wall thickness, which again if im correct would then push the alloy out more and in turn with good caliper clearence in the process.. as far as i know any alloys i have seen on a cavalier even when lowered for example sometimes do look a bit lost inside the arches, so maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea?? or is this just crazy maths. :cry