Desperate to find Dads lagoon blue SRI J578 CRB

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Red arrow

Desperate to find Dads lagoon blue SRI J578 CRB

Post by Red arrow »

Hi Folks, I'm new to the club.
My Dad had a mk 3 Cavalier SRI in lagoon blue J578 CRB from new back in 1992. He owed it for about 3/4 years as a company car but then she had to go back to the hire company which was a real shame as it's the best car he ever owned in my opinion, I have fond memories of it when I was only 13 and would love to see it again/buy it back if possible. The DVLA records are still live even though it's been untaxed some time now. The DVLA says if it's still on their system then it probably still exists even though not sorn. So I'm hopeful it's still in a barn/garage somewhere?
Any help would be much appreciated as I've been searching for the car for many years now, if I don't find it then I'll buy another SRI in the same spec and have it sprayed Lagoon Blue as I've never seen another pre-facelift in this colour, not even back in the 90's..
Keep up the great posts/projects as it's inspiration for me to buy another and restore it :cool

Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Desperate to find Dads lagoon blue SRI J578 CRB

Post by Robsey »

I have looked up that car registration, but it is not recognised on the government / dvla databases.

So, it is unlikely that it is still about.

I hope for your sake that it does pop up as a barn find, but I would not get my hopes up.

Is that registration 100% correct.
Just clutching at straws...
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Hi Robsey
Thankyou for your reply, I've just edited the post as I was one letter wrong on the registration apologies. It J578 CRB Hopefully you'll be able to find it on the Dvla car check. I have a photo of it but I don't have an account with Flickr yet unless I can email it to admin?
Many thanks in advance..
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay - I have found the listing.

Registered 14th October 1991.
Vauxhall in Blue.
1998cc engine - Probably 20SEH.

J578CRB last changed keepers on 3rd March 2005.

Sadly the vehicle was never retaxed when it changed hands.
Tax expired 28th Feb 2005.

I am not sure whether it would work, but -
You could write to the dvla with a freedom of information request, to see if there is a certificate of destruction on this car, or

If details are still relevant, contact details of the last known keeper.
They may have to contact the last keeper to get approval to supply information that is covered by the data protection act.
They are normally required to respond in writing within 30 days.

Bear in mind that a lot of details (addresses and phone numbers) would have changed in almost 16 years.

You could email the picture to me at my usual motoring email address.

Robsey@hotmail.co.uk
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Thanks so much for the information and for checking for me, I'll get the photo emailed over to you asap. It seems strange how it wasn't taxed again straight after it changed hands, might have been an mot failure that someone was going to restore but never got round to it?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just to add,
I did do a check.

I had a 1987 Cavalier mk2 that was issued a certificate of destruction in Nov 2007.
It is not on the DVLA database.

I have a 1983 VW Camper van, that died a death in 1990 but was never issued a certificate of destruction, and this is still on the database, but untaxed.

So looking at J578CRB, there is a possibility that it is still about, waiting to be found and given a new lease on life.

From what I can tell - It will not have been issued a certificate of destruction.
But this does not mean that it hasn't been scrapped.
Not all scrap yards issued certificates.

UPDATE - Picture received and 1st post edited / updated.

This picture here...

Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Hi Robsey, that's awesome, thanks so much for posting the picture up for me, and for all the information really appreciate it.
I'll ring the DVLA and get them to send me a form to fill out.
Do you think I should move this post to the general car chat section in case anyone recognises the car?
Apologies I'm still fairly new posting on these forums, love seeing all the projects on here, I admire all the work folk put in to get their cavaliers put back on the road again. It's great to see them at the shows VBOA etc.
Keep up the good work folks..
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Red arrow wrote:Hi Robsey, that's awesome, thanks so much for posting the picture up for me, and for all the information really appreciate it.

No problem, happy to help.
Red arrow wrote: Do you think I should move this post to the general car chat section in case anyone recognises the car?
Thread moved as requested.

You are more than welcome to meet us at VBOA and VauxFest.
We do not see them as a competition, just a social gathering and a platform for mutual appreciation of each other's cars.
Warts and all :D
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Sounds great, and thanks for moving the post over for me.. Busy restoring my Nova so can hopefully bring that next year and a cavalier If I ever find my dads old one or one very similar to it, as I've finallly had the go ahead from the boss "My wife" after much nagging.
I remember my dad had only had the Sri for a month and someone tried to steal it off the drive, they had arrived in another stolen car to steal his, luckily just one "beep" from the car alarm was enough to wake him up and scare them off, they made a mess of the lock though.
Red arrow

Re: Desperate to find Dads lagoon blue SRI J578 CRB “ No joy

Post by Red arrow »

Hi folks, I hope everyone in the club is keeping safe, I just wanted to update this with the information that unfortunately the DVLA won’t provide me with any “ No surprise there” unless a vehicle is blocking your land then you have no chance of finding out any current owner of a vehicle that you once used to own or your dad as in my case.
So I have decided to build my own replica of my dads car. So am in the market “I know needle in a haystack springs to mind” of a Mk 3 “pre-facelift” cavalier SRI hatchback in any colour as I could potentially look at then having it resprayed in lagoon blue if I could bring myself to do it depending on condition. I think the red ones will have the same interior as my dads old one from memory “cream dash/ seat bolsters etc but that’s not a problem if not. Something in average condition would be preferable as would keep costs down, but on the flip side I’m no welder so might be better to get something in better condition to start with and pay a bit more. I know of a saloon on eBay at the moment but it’s out of my price range and it’s not the hatchback I ideally want.
Does anyone know of anything out there that might come up for sale? I’m in no rush as only just moved house so the right car can always wait.
Many thanks in advance.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hi again,

Do you use Facebook?

I very rarely post, but there is a very healthy Cavalier group on there, that see a lot more active traffic.

The group is Cavaliercorner

It shares some members with this forum, but is totally independent from us.
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Thanks robsey for your quick reply, yes my wife uses facebook so i can ask her if i can use her account to check out the group.
Many thanks..
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

We also have our own Facebook group.
It's called 'Vauxhall Cavalier MK3 Fan Group'

Cars occasionally come up on it but none at the moment.
Good luck in the search.
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Hi James, that’s great I’ll check that one out too thanks.
I noticed that the SRI for sale on eBay has the wrong GSI rear light just on one side, i’m Guessing even parts like light clusters for the pre-facelift versions are becoming hard to find now too.
I’ve also spotted those two GSI’s that have been for sale on eBay for ages now, I know it’s top money but thought they would have still been snapped up by now? Anyone any ideas why?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I presume it is probably due to cost.

With a lot of people on furlough, reduced hours or even laid off, there simply will not be as much spare money floating around.

I know that I could not afford GSi money.

As for parts - some items like headlamps, tail lights, wiper and indicator stalks and even electric window switches are relatively easy to buy new... but chances are that most are pattern / copy parts.
Not original Carello / Hella / GM parts.
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Thanks Robsey, yes I guess your right. If I had the money I’d definitely be going to have a look at one of those.
I think I’ll possibly just try and get the best car I can for the money and build my own replica.
Speaking of which am I correct in thinking that getting hold of an SRI interior is pretty much never going to happen?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Often it is a matter of patience,
and sometimes it comes down to sheer luck.

I can spend years looking for parts,
And sometimes things became available when I wasn't even 'in the market' for them.

The SRi interior does pop up from time to time.

Although any dark (anthracite) interior looks very smart.
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

Yes fingers crossed one shows up, think I need to start getting some parts together before I even own one :thumb
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Parts are usually out there if you look hard enough and have patience, also be prepared to think outside the box. For rarer bits try searching different countries eBay sites and if necessary use Google to translate your conversations. I find most sellers will soon arrange international carriage for a sale and it often isn't that expensive.
Red arrow

Post by Red arrow »

That's great, thanks for the advice 3cav3. My dad has owned many company cars over the years before he retired, including a golf GTI. I myself owned a Honda integra type R for 9 years but there is just something about my dads SRI that I want one for myself if I can afford it.
I love seeing all the projects on here of any model of cavalier, always raises a smile when you see one still on the road.