Tall people problems

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

nekaiko

Tall people problems

Post by nekaiko »

Hi Guys,
I have a MK3 Cavalier Expression.
I'm 6foot 3inches and my legs are a little too long for my seating position.
The seat is all the way back and is none height adjustable. My wheel is also nonadjustable :/

So I'm looking to get an alternative steering wheel / new seats on my '.

Wheel:
Has anyone got a custom wheel on their cavalier?
What size would you recommend?
Have you got any pictures?

Others:
Would you recommend a different method of making the driving position a bit better such as the adjustable seats or any other methods such as offsetting the seating rails?

Also, I'm not looking to spend a wack tonne of money on this as I can put up with the driving position. I'd just like it to be better.

Thanks Alex.
MK3 Cavalier Expression. C18NZ. Sienna Red
ilovedmymantas

Re: Tall people problems

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hi and welcome Alex,

I'm a tad over 6ft (when I'm not slouching lol) so I appreciate the problem.

My steering is fixed but I have height adjustable seats, that does make a bit of a difference.
If you only move the rails back (good idea!) you may be stuck with a more awkward driving position, the adjustment helps here.

I know what you mean about the steering wheel, I have to be careful getting in and out not to get a shiny mark on black cotton or suit trousers :x
I suppose the ideal would be electric seats that move back to the driver's preset, like they have on posh cars :lol:

I think your cheapest option is to find an adjustable drivers seat - don't forget to get the rails as they contain the raising mechanism.
- If you need to move it back the adjustment should give you a more comfortable driving position.

If the seats are the same style, you can easily swap the covers over :)

matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hey.

I agree with Matt, I didn't know Expression models didn't have height adjustable seats, that's strange, it's only a basic crank mechanism, I thought all models had it.

Anyway, if you can find a donor car with the same or similar interior colour that has adjustable seats, you can always get replacement seats and swap them out, they're only bolted in, so easy to remove and I assume you won't have to fiddle about with pre-tensioners on that model. I'm 6ft and I've never had an issue with space in the driver's position, but I've no idea how the extra 3 inches would work, although they have generous cabin space inside for a relatively small vehicle (nowadays anyway)
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
nekaiko

Post by nekaiko »

Cavalier342 wrote: I'm 6ft and I've never had an issue with space in the driver's position, but I've no idea how the extra 3 inches would work, although they have generous cabin space inside for a relatively small vehicle (nowadays anyway)

It's not like I don't have enough room to drive, more just that my legs catch the wheel when at the upper reaches of the pedals..
I do have the rather large airbagged steering wheel and not the old 3 spoke one...
I'm basically all legs... My dad is 6'1 and he has his seat a few inches further forward than I do...
I think a lower able seat would help that somewhat.

I'm definitely be looking to see if I can fine a wheel as well that would suit the interior of the car... Not convinced a "drift wheel" would look the part really :D
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

You only need the height adjustable runners as it simply unbolts from the seat & should just bolt straight to your seat, may be able to get one with the pretensioner still attached a little safety upgrade or fit your existing buckle to the new runners.
nekaiko

Post by nekaiko »

iangsi wrote:You only need the height adjustable runners as it simply unbolts from the seat & should just bolt straight to your seat, may be able to get one with the pretensioner still attached a little safety upgrade or fit your existing buckle to the new runners.
Hmm, do you know if this would this allow me to lower the seat from its default spot, as i'd ideally need it to go down from where it is now...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I think it would, yes. Although I've never sat in a non-height adjustable seat, so can't say for sure.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

nekaiko wrote:
iangsi wrote:You only need the height adjustable runners as it simply unbolts from the seat & should just bolt straight to your seat, may be able to get one with the pretensioner still attached a little safety upgrade or fit your existing buckle to the new runners.
Hmm, do you know if this would this allow me to lower the seat from its default spot, as i'd ideally need it to go down from where it is now...
As Cavalier342 says it should but all 3 of the cavs I've owned had them already fitted so I couldn't say for sure. But then why else would Vauxhall fit them.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm really surprised that an Expression model doesn't have a height adjustment driver's seat. Strange to think that.
Previous:

ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I think I've thought this through now.

I didn't have a problem with leg clearance in my previous sri because the seats were lower, and I was younger then :lol:

Height adjusters are good for fine tuning your position but I don't think they'll help too much for you.
The adjuster seems to add height only.

The good news?

It shouldn't be difficult to move the seat position on the rail, no 10 is a guide rail to seat frame bolt.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt