Help, my brains melting

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

Help, my brains melting

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I've been thinking of adding a 3rd brake light after my recent shunt :x

Looking at the regulations, part II, https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... le/12/made.
My understanding is I have no limits on height, size or angle of visibility as long as it's not brighter than 60 candelas. Who's got a candela meter :scratch :lol:

If my interpretations correct could I have in theory, an ultra bright led facing skyward, where the reading is taken from the side because that's the parallel plane?
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Help, my brains melting

Post by Robsey »

I haven't got a meter for checking the lux of the LEDs,
I don't think MOT garages will have one either.

A lot of new cars use ultra-bright red LEDs for brake lights, so you should be fine.

Are you using diffused lenses or clear lenses?

Clear lenses give a very narrow intense beam pattern whereas diffused lenses will give a wider beam of light and probably more like OEM LED brake lights, which are diffused by the coloured lense of the brake light assembly.

As the brake lights are not 'positioning' lights, they will not be affected by MOT rules if you use LEDs
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

It's one of the first things I fitted to my CD!
I always (still do) think the rear lights were marginal so fitted a long led bar in the rear window, actually stuck its feet to the parcel shelf with silicone adhesive, so it could probably be removed fairly easily.
Don't know what it's light output is but I always thought it was bright although it's had no comments at mot time since.
Think I would fit as bright a one as I could find as some brake lights one modern vehicles are almost too bright - especially when pulled up behind one and the driver doesn't put the handbrake on!

Alan
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:I haven't got a meter for checking the lux of the LEDs,
I don't think MOT garages will have one either.

A lot of new cars use ultra-bright red LEDs for brake lights, so you should be fine.

Are you using diffused lenses or clear lenses?

Clear lenses give a very narrow intense beam pattern whereas diffused lenses will give a wider beam of light and probably more like OEM LED brake lights, which are diffused by the coloured lense of the brake light assembly.

As the brake lights are not 'positioning' lights, they will not be affected by MOT rules if you use LEDs
Do I want to dazzle or look more oem :scratch , dazzle probably, though I didn't start out thinking that. I've bought a variety of bright leds and a couple of holders to experiment with.

My thought was to mount one in the washer nozzle housing (probably been done before). I've done without a working washer for twenty years, I never needed it. That's where it got a bit ocd :roll:

My dilemma is,
do I just install a red in a holder (clear and could be diffused with wet'n'dry) that I probably won't be happy with.....

….or do I make it really difficult for myself by trying my end-thought :idea:
use a white led ( I have two 5mm to try, one bright the other soft) and cut a shape from the tail light brake lens that was damaged in my shunt?
Juries out...
Mk3alan wrote:It's one of the first things I fitted to my CD!
I always (still do) think the rear lights were marginal so fitted a long led bar in the rear window, actually stuck its feet to the parcel shelf with silicone adhesive, so it could probably be removed fairly easily.
Don't know what it's light output is but I always thought it was bright although it's had no comments at mot time since.
The only time I fitted a third brake light was on my first car, a mk1 cav, the only saloon I've ever had. It was a new thing in the 80's :lol:
Until now all the idiots have been in front of me, at least you've got a chance to avoid them :roll:
Mk3alan wrote:Think I would fit as bright a one as I could find as some brake lights one modern vehicles are almost too bright - especially when pulled up behind one and the driver doesn't put the handbrake on!

Alan
Totally with you there, it's even worse in winter :x .
I know it's illegal to show a red light to the front but the devil in me soo wants to fit a mirror strip to my sun visor so I can share the experience with my fellow road user :lol:

matt

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

i have an idea!

How about a nice cup of tea and a biscuit!

Works for me
;)
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

btcctroy wrote:i have an idea!

How about a nice cup of tea and a biscuit!

Works for me
;)
Works for me too :lol:
I have wondered why the biscuits made for dunking, rich tea, aren't rectangular to fit in modern mugs.
A throwback to when wide rimmed china cups were used maybe :scratch

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

rich tea is not a biscuit, has the intesity of a snowflake