C20XE Engine Paint Codes

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

joe cavalier sri

C20XE Engine Paint Codes

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Hi

So sadly I've not been on here for a long time as I got into my Bora with the PD130 in it but I'm now needing to pick some brains.
What is the paint code for the silver top cam cover on the C20XE ?
And the paint code for the red spark plug cover on the C20XE ?
And the paint code for the c20xev cam cover ?

I'm just finishing off my engine table's yes I still have my Cav SRI tucked away in my garage which is part Saab and Vauxhall. But I'm in the process of getting it converted to electric but this will not be ready for some time so I will be selling of stuff i will not be needing soon.

Many Thanks

Joe :thumb
joe cavalier sri

Re: C20XE Engine Paint Codes

Hi

Robsey I will be picking your brains about the wiring on my Cav lucky you lol :cheers

Many Thanks

Joe
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Paint codes for engine parts...
Well that is one that you may need to make a best guess at.

As for wiring.
That should not be a problem, as long as you make sure that all donor wiring is in reasonable condition.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

When ever I've wanted to paint engines etc I've taken a piece with me to Halfords and held it up to the caps on their spray cans. You can often find something pretty close.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Vauxhall quote 18 codes for red "solid" paints alone...
Probably as many again for 2 coat paints.

Here is a list of "Solids".
Terra Cotta Red (50A)
Canyon Red (321D)
Magma Red (L547)
Radiant Red (L756)
Almadine Red (70L / L537)
Mexico Red (71L / L539)
Henna Red (73L / L536)
Royal Red (74L / L501)
Carmine Red (76L / L535) - Replaced by Crimson Red - same code.
Morrocan Red (L573) - Replaced by Tizian Red - same code.
Burgundy Red (78L / L567)
Florentina Red (L569)
Lobster Red (LLL / L548).
Signal Red (75U / 719)
Poppy Red (L719)

There was Flame Red (79L / L547), but that was replaced by a 2 coat paint. (???)

So you have plenty to go at there - ha ha
joe cavalier sri

Hi

I’m thinking I want the cam covers to be a bang on match. Obviously over time the colours will have distorted due to heat and oil residue. I’m making a series of engine tables using genuine parts from each engine. The parts are getting harder to get hold of now so I’ve gathered up most of them I need. The conversion to electric is inevitable to keeping these old cav’s on the road 19 years and all petrol and diesels will be banned in the uk. I’m gutted it took me a while to get my Cav converted to saab b204. But my SRI is my first road legal car I had when I passed my test and I still have it. But if you know any one who is in the know for the paint codes it would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Joe :thumb
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

My understanding of the rules is that it'll only be the sale of new petrol and diesel cars that will be banned, not the existing cars already out there. Sure over time fuel will get more expensive as demand drops, but particularly with diesel , lorries are still going to need it as you can't realistically run a fully loaded one on a single charge over hundreds of miles.
I also can't see the government losing out on the billions of pounds a year that the classic car movement puts into the economey.
To me converting a classic to electric would take away the point of owning it.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Agreed -
The rules at this stage are that from 2035, all NEW vehicle sales will be for electric only vehicles.
No new diesel, petrol, lpg or electric hybrid vehicles.

All existing vehicles will still be allowed to be sold in the 2nd hand / used vehicle market.
Although they will not be as popular for those who are looking for cheap motoring.
And yes, there will still be fossil fuel required at the pumps for all our large commercial vehicles, although hybrid and hydrogen systems have been in use for about 15 years.

I am sure by then, taxation will be changed to make all non-pure electric vehicles very expensive to run.
And of course all electric vehicles will be taxed at the point of charging to ensure that you no longer get "a free ride" or discounted for that matter.

That is my rather cynical point of view.
By then, I will be 67 years old, probably half blind and no longer keen to drive around in a crisp white plastic noddy car.
-------------------------
I am sure that I am missing the point here, but paint tables??
If you are converting the Cavalier to anything other than it's original XE unit, then the relevance of the original paint colour is lost.
The SAAB B204 will obviously not need a "red top" spark plug cover.
I am sure they were black anyway.
And an electric engine.... well I have no idea how that looks in a standard engine bay.

All that aside, it would be interesting to see how an electric or hybrid conversion is achieved in a Cavalier.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I agree it would interesting to see a conversion, however not something that I want to do .
I can't help thinking the electric vehicle thing harks back to Dr Beaching and the railways, perfectly good cars are going to get scrapped prematurely, and to me one of the biggest pollutants is making the vehicle in the first place and then scrapping it after it's useful life is over. What would be wrong with encouraging a gradual change once good cars are worn out?
Plus when has a British Government ever done anything actually on time?
Even if battery technology improves in the meantime, how long will a set of batteries actually last? Before needing to be replaced and at what cost?Plus how's the country going to generate this electricity, either by burning more fossil fuel or nuclear? And don't even get me started on how everyone is going to charge their car if they don't have parking near their house.
Anyway back to topic, I'd personally keep either your red top or sabb engine and just enjoy driving it for at least the next 20 odd years.
joe cavalier sri

The paint codes are for my engine tables I want them to be original as possible. The conversion to electric will happen the cost of running old cars like ours will go through the roof. Not to mention getting hold of parts I have mostly what I need just interior trim bits I need. Look on YouTube Classic Electric Cars channel it’s inspired me to keep my first car on the road. Not many people can say they still have their first car and the shell is in mint nick. I’m selling up my saab b204 engine while it still holds value as I won’t need it. The original what’s the Xev which I still have but it’s destined to be a coffee table. So the paint codes for xev and xe is so the purists out there can’t say the colour is wrong. But I will swap my b204 for a running xe.

Many Thanks

Joe
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have just had a quick look at prices for doing this conversion.

I gave up adding when I got to £ 8,500 (plus vat!!). = £10,200... that is just for the main parts.

With bespoke wiring looms, mounts and consumables - I don't think you would get much change from £15,000.

And that is doing all the wiring and fitting yourself.
joe cavalier sri

Hi

Robsey think you have me mistaken as wont be doing the conversion but there is a certain stage you can get the body work to and things removed you wont need. My cavalier will live in the garage its in till I die then pass it onto my son.
By the time another 5 years has passed I'm sure prices will come down for conversion companies to convert the old cars. I dont mind as the cav will be getting manual steering manual windows it will be basic and comfy.
I will never let go of my cav as I've had a lot of happy times and I struggle to see a cavalier now on the road, So I dont mind putting money into it ill never get back . And its knowing my son will have it after me.
joe cavalier sri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZws7kE3U5k&t=17s

Watch this and look into the company that has converted the MX5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5XE5mMF38&t=547s