Supercar experience

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

vexorg

Supercar experience

Post by vexorg »

I had got a supercar experience as a birthday present early last year, and due to covid it was postponed a few times.

Almost a year later I got to go. Overall the event left a bit of mixed in feeling. They had about a dozen supercars, and they all looked amazing, a number of lamboghinis, ferraris, porsches, GTRs and one aston martin.

It was a no brainer for me, since about the age of 10 I've always wanted to drive a lamborghini. Purple Gallardo V10 and it was so nice to drive. The dash was a lot more basic than expected, that didn't really matter.

Down side of the whole day was that everything felt like a cash grab. That started at the sign in, with the purchase insurance box. £25 for insurance waiver otherwise you would be responsible for up to £5,000 for any damage on the car pretty much no matter how it happened.

In the safety briefing, again with the money grab, spent more time with one-of offers for deals on other cars, upgrade, extra laps that were only available until we left the briefing. An even on the track, coming up to the last corner, the instructor started asking if I wanted two more laps for £20, completely putting me off the last corner.

During the safety briefing, they said the instructor would be there to 'maximise' the experience, tell when to brake, change gear, turn in etc since most hadn't seen the track before. Turns out that's not the case, going round the track I was told a number of times that I should be changing up sooner on the straights and be in a higher gear for the corner. The problem was I was braking quite hard and it had really powerful brake, so it kind of bogged down a bit coming out the corner. I only had 3 laps, and was getting into it more each corner, changing down, heavy on the brakes on the way in foot down on the way out. Half way round the last lap, the instructor said I really must change up sooner as they are supposed to keep the revs below 5,000 as part of looking after the cars. The red line was 8,500!

They weren't maximising the experience, they were trying to keep the cars as slow as possible. Afterwards watching, most of the cars going round the track were only doing about 30mph, and why I had to overtake a few when out. Guess some people have different expectations from a supercar.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Supercar experience

Post by Robsey »

They should have probably called it...
"Drive like a granny-clampet in a Super Car Experience"

At such low speeds, I am surprised that you actually got to change out of second gear.

I am sure, that it was indeed "an experience" - although not in the true sense of the perceived expectation.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

I had a similar thing as a present a few years ago as you say a money making machine, as for the driving it was miles based which worked out to 2 laps of the top gear track, an out lap 1 flying lap then straight into the pit area. But I did get a Nissan GTR up to 130mph the instructor did say I only had it at 50% throttle position though.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

On a gift experience insurance should be included in the price.
Having to pay for it separately must be in the really small print and an embarrassment for the giftee(s), pretty low!

Around twenty years ago my family clubbed together for a track experience at Knockhill, a place i've spectated many times.

It started with a 3 at a time passengers being driven by a 'pro' sliding round corners a bit in a vectra , talking us through the course.

Second, a lap round the track with an instructor in an MG-F. - There was an award for the best candidate but nobody said it was a test at the time :roll:
Needless to say I didn't win, I was more focussed on the engine screaming to change up than the instructor.

Lastly, Three laps in a formula three ford.
Left the pit lane in 2nd gear as instructed but third was a real pig to get in and out of, It was a weird bolt type change high up on the left. and I'm sure it wasn't me :no :scratch :lol:
I only got overtaken once, third gear again :roll:
Five laps would have been good and a track time like you get in karting would probably encourage people back.

Overall I was disappointed .
Your post has made me realise I got good value for the money at the time.

It's all about profit nowadays, Thatcherism mentality is back :(

Times have changed, and not for the better! :(
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I've been to a few at knockhill over the years, generally they have been pretty good. The supercar one is at inglistion, quite a short track there.

I did have to ask my wife after if i looked as slow as the other cars out there, and got a "god no!", which was reassuring.

I'd probably do something like that again, just not there. Had to look online too so see how much that lamborghini was second had, and they are still about £90k, a bit out my budget for a fun car I'd keep in the garage most of the year.
David