Car tax petition

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

James McGrath
Club Admin

Car tax petition

Post by James McGrath »

I don't normally like to get involved with petitions on the internet. However, I think this is one that we'd all benefit from.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/578294
vexorg

Re: Car tax petition

Post by vexorg »

I thought this was going to be the change one month rip off when you change vehicles. They get double tax for the month you buy or sell.
David
thomas

Post by thomas »

It should just be done away with in its present form, what a farce it has become. Last year for the Cav was it £275 for 1900 miles mot-to-mot, fourteen pence a mile. Probably much less miles again in the present period.

The revenue shortfall should entirely be compensated for by whacking it all on to fuel costs and thus taxing those actually racking up the higher mileages, and doing the most mischief to the roads and environmentally to the known universe allegedly. With a token tenner a year, any vehicle not SORN'd, to the DVLA, annually for an insurance/mot check and administration costs. All payable to me perhaps

I'm still not sure if SORN is continuous or has to be renewed annually still? I've tried to SORN a vehicle that I'd already SORNed, and simply don't know what's what and what I'm doing, what's due when. Definitely don't ever want to see crap, discs etc. being stuck inside or on windows ever again as, as well as obscuring vision, such made cleaning the windscreen inside properly a faff, and, the worst, spoiled the symmetry.

Change is only ever for the worse.
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

SORN is continuous, until it changes registered keeper.
SORN is only relevant for cars that were taken off the road after about 1997... I think.

My 1983 camper van was never re-taxed after 1990, so never needed a SORN declaration.
Until we sign the V5C over from the late father-in-law.

I am sure it is inevitable that VED will be added to petrol and diesel prices at the pump in the years to come.
Especially as all electric and many hybrid vehicles are tax free (or very low tax prices).

Then they will need to find a way of taxing electric vehicles after 2035... when all new cars will be electric only.

And just for good measure - as petrol and diesel vehicles become rarer, the reduced demand for fuel will make it more expensive per litre to produce... and therefore more expensive to buy.

Of course, commercial vehicles will continue to be diesel powered for some time... so diesel fuel / derv will stay cheaper for longer.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Got an update email though on this, government say no, staying at 40 years.
David
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Me too, but I understood that if petition numbers reach 100,000 it will again be considered?

Alan
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

James McGrath wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:35 am I don't normally like to get involved with petitions on the internet. However, I think this is one that we'd all benefit from.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/578294
As soon as I saw this I tried to sign up. Turns out I already had!

Please post again in case I miss it next time :)
thomas wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm It should just be done away with in its present form, what a farce it has become. Last year for the Cav was it £275 for 1900 miles mot-to-mot, fourteen pence a mile. Probably much less miles again in the present period.

The revenue shortfall should entirely be compensated for by whacking it all on to fuel costs and thus taxing those actually racking up the higher mileages, and doing the most mischief to the roads and environmentally to the known universe allegedly.
I used to think that way but now I'm not so sure :scratch

In a good year I'll cover less than 6000 miles but this is my only car. we're already paying for fuel tax ( with no reduction for adding the performance reducing and pipe-destroying vinegar stroke -ethanol :evil: ) plus vat, more than half the cost. And it's likely to go up again soon.
https://www.askthecarexpert.com/fuel-tax/

Motorists are a soft target.
It seems to me once again motorists and enthusiasts are being punished for not being "progressive" :evil:
thomas wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pmChange is only ever for the worse.
Totally agree :thumb
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I can see electric conversions becoming a bigger thing for these in between cars. Ed China done it with the old car in US wheeler dealers, cant see why it wont be possible to convert most cars.
David